Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Nina Simone Band • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cshadows2887, Mar 8, 2016.

1. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

It really is a fantastic way to open the record. Part of what makes it her best is it's one of the only ones that pays much care to sequencing.

Yes!! That big note towards the end is...shivers.

One of my top 20 songs of all time by anyone. I fucking adore it. Like she just thought "It'd be awesome to make the perfect love song" and then slayed it

2. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

Wanna pop in just to give an obligatory shoutout to 'Nuff Said!

This 1968 live album of hers was recorded three days after the assassination of MLK. The recorded concert served as a powerful memorial/tribute for the civil rights activist. There's a lot to love here, great banter with the crowd, some beautiful renditions including, yes, some Bee Gees covers. The highlight, or maybe most notable track on it is the closing song (listed as a bonus track on my vinyl copy), Do What You Gotta Do. This is of course the song that Kanye samples and has Rihanna interpolate on Famous off TLOP.

Anyways, one of the best vocalists/artists of all time no question, and I'm loving seeing her discussed here!

ChaseTx and cshadows2887 like this.
  3. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

That sounds wonderful, definitely adding to my list.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  4. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

Definitely let me know what you think of it! I'm still majorly a Nina novice, but I really enjoy that one.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  5. cshadows2887

I still haven't heard this. It was way out of print when I got into her. It'll be on my to-do list for a week

6. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

Let me know what you think! Also, kudos for starting this whole idea. Really cool.

7. George

Trusted Prestigious

Decided to go backwards, not forwards and checked out her first album, Little Girl Blue. I didn't realise how many classic songs were included on here! Mood Indigo, Don't Smoke in Bed, My Baby Just Cares For Me, Love me or Leave Me and of course, I Loves You Porgy!

It's remarkable how assured and confident she is for a debut release. She appears here basically fully-formed, with her astonishing voice that seems like it comes from a woman far more mature and wise than someone in their mid-20s. It's rare to hear a debut album, especially from this period, that seems so full of authority and in command of their art. Instrumentally marvelous, showing off her skills as a classical pianist, and of course her distinctive voice carries the whole thing. The arrangements and song choices are smart and well-suited.

Usually (and I'm generalising a lot here), debut releases from this sort of period often feel a bit like demo reels, somewhat interesting pre-cursors before the greatness that comes later. However, this feels unique as an undisputed masterpiece, achieved in the first go. Highly, highly recommend.

ChaseTx, cshadows2887 and ChiliTacos like this.
  8. cshadows2887

God, Sings the Blues is just perfect. For me it is the ultimate summer album, so I'm in denial that it's snowing outside with my widowless classroom. Her band is just outstanding here. You can feel that they're making it up as they go, improvising, because of how loose it feels. Like, on "My Man's Gone Now" it takes the bass player a second to pick up the changes before he comes in, and that spontaneity just creates absolute magic.

Once again though, fuck spotify for not notating that the final two songs there are bonus tracks.

9. George

Trusted Prestigious

Seeing as I started with her first, decided to bookend her career with a listen to her final album, A Single Woman, from 1993.

It's apparent that her voice was on the way out at this point, it doesn't have the power and range and the pure oomph-factor that it did in her earlier recordings. However, it still carries it with it that beautiful and sensual timbre that she would clearly never lose. The arrangements on the album are beautiful, particularly on the grandiose strings on the title track, or on the smoky jazz clubs vibe on Lonesome Cities.

While it's not close to (and never was going to be) the bombastic, powerful records she was making in the 60s, this is still a worthy and dignified recording that shows that even as her voice may fade, her charisma and ability to carry a song never left her.

A deep cut worth tracking down, definitely.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  10. cshadows2887

I debated recommending this to you as a deep cut. I've always liked it but I've seen mostly meh reactions to it, so I hesitated. But she's one like Judy Garland or Billie Holiday where she's such an incredible singer and has such an enormous presence that the gravity of the performance in their late recordings is somehow only enhanced by the weathering of age. The title track just carries a lifetime in it

11. George

Trusted Prestigious

There's something that I love about late-career albums. Even if they're not very good, there's something I find absolutely captivating about hearing something like an Etta James album written and recorded 50 years after her debut. You just get all that history and all that life bundled in with it, which sometimes makes up for the fact that they've no longer got "it" anymore.

Thankfully Nina just about still had "it", so it's the best of both worlds!

cshadows2887 likes this.
  12. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

Actually planned on watching the documentary on Netflix tonight and have been meaning to listen to her more so I'm here for this. Going to check Nina Simone Sings The Blues now.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  13. cshadows2887

Yeah, sometimes they can even make a miracle with zero gas in the tank. Warren Zevon could barely breath when he made The Wind and it's a masterpiece

14. George

Trusted Prestigious

Put on Broadway - Blues - Ballads from 1964 next. It opens with Please Let Me Be Misunderstood, but that was the only song I knew beforehand.

What a fucking track that is though! Absolute behemoth. Just undoubtedly and unreservedly perfect in every single way. One of my favourite of hers, without doubt. It's everything that's so brilliant about her in less than three minutes.

The rest of the album, as the title suggests, is full of Broadway tunes, so it's energetic and swing-y and playful in a way that Nina had in her repertoire, but kept well hidden! See-Line Woman being the bluesiest exception, and easily the second best song on here. This is probably just before her classic period came into full effect (The next album after this is I Put A Spell on You), and it's a slightly simple, not particularly ambitious record. The two main high points are astounding, but the rest of the album doesn't wow as she can.

Obviously, she could sing the phone book and it'd be beautiful, so it was still a thoroughly enjoyable listen. Just not close to her at her best six months later.

cshadows2887 and ChiliTacos like this.
  15. George

Trusted Prestigious

And now I'm listening to Sinnerman, and every time I hear it, it's like I'm hearing it for the first time. Continually jaw-dropping.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  16. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

Some thoughts on I Put A Spell On You

I Put A Spell On You
    - Man she delivers a flawless vocal performance. I also love the string arrangement and the sax. Damn that was perfect.

Tomorrow Is My Turn - Again I'm in love with the string arrangement. Her vocals are so much more low key in this one than the first track, but that doesn't take away from their affect. Her voice just effortlessly flows through this one over the piano.

Ne Me Quitte Pas - Well this is a surprise, had no idea she had any songs in foreign languages. Did she have others? I like it.

Marriage Is For Old Folks - I love how fun this track is. So far all four of these tracks have completely different sounds. Her voice fits so many styles well.

Gimme Some - Okay this might be my favorite album of hers out of the three I've listened to (Sings The Blues, High Priestess). Every song is so damn fun.

Feeling Good - How had I not heard her version of this song? I've heard some other renditions of it, but she is absolutely made for this song.

One September Day - Even though this song is about a day in September, it reminds me of sitting in the living room with the fireplace on, while the snow is falling in December. Love it.

Blues On Purpose - This is interesting to me as I did not know she ever had any instrumentals in her albums. Not really my favorite but it's fine.

Take Care Of Business - Okay I've been running out of things to say for these past few tracks. This was a great way to end the album though. I loved this album.

17. listening to Sings The Blues in the dark the other night was so memorable for me. have to remember to give High Priestess a listen over the next few days.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  18. cshadows2887

I was hesitant about whether this was the right pick for the third in the crash course (you could make easy arguments for Wild Is the Wind or Pastel Blues), so I'm glad you were into it. Fun fact: the way she repeats "I love you" on the title track was the direct inspiration for the similar delivery in "Michelle" by the Beatles.

Nice! Ba dum tss

19. The_Effort

Regular Supporter

Listening to High Priestess for the first time ever and it's amazing. thank you guys so much! This is why I love this community.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  20. The 3-minute mark of "My Man's Gone Now." Wow.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  21. cshadows2887

First spin with Emergency Ward and WOW. The 18 minute "My Sweet Lord/Today Is a Killer" that made up all of side 1 is just astounding. Fucking tour de force. Good lord. The rest is wonderful, too, but FUCK that opener.

22. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Haven't been contributing much but I've been listening along, mostly to the crash course. Really loved I Put A Spell On You. It just hit me right the moment I put it on. "Marriage Is For Old Folks" and "Tomorrow Is My Turn" are standouts. Also "Gimme Some" -- gotta love the sexual empowerment on that.

ChiliTacos and cshadows2887 like this.
  23. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

Listening to Sings The Blues now. I love that she seems to view her voice as an instrument. She phrases her melodies like a horn player would and it makes for a very fun and layered listen

24. Blainer93

Prestigious Supporter

Pastel Blues is my favorite.

Currently trying to track down most of her albums on vinyl

25. cshadows2887

Hard to argue with an album that opens with "Be My Husband" and closes with "Sinnerman".