Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

NFL Gameday Week 6 • Page 38

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Swoos, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Regardless of any feelings of ref impact this was the stupidest shit on earth

2. Randall Mentzos

Listen to my EP: terrainofficial .bandcamp.com Prestigious

Fair but I’m speaking generally too. That’s not always the case.

3. EntryLevelTank

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

Oooooooof course it sucks lol. But it doesn't change that you still left your door unlocked with a sign on the door saying "I SUPER DUPER DON'T HAVE VALUABLES I PROMISE!"

4. EntryLevelTank

Like, I agree with that. I know that some teams just don't have the opportunity to overcome ref nonsense. Sometimes the clock or circumstance doesn't allow that. I 100% acknowledge that. I think that circumstance is just in the minority of the "the refs screwed us" arguments.

And fuck the Saints lol

5. Randall Mentzos

Idk. Referees be breaking random windows out here. It’s not always the team’s fault.

6. Fucking Dustin

I'm on the longest work call on earth, please keep going so I can have something worthwhile to focus on

7. Randall Mentzos

And also to be fair, Jags got screwed on a call Sunday but I ain’t complaining because we sucked anyway.
    So I do look at it both ways.

8. EntryLevelTank

lol I'm not saying it's ALWAYS. I'm not nearly as black and white as that. All i'm saying is the majority of "the refs cost us" cause me to roll my eyes is all.

Randall Mentzos likes this.
  9. Randall Mentzos

Yeah, I just think when it’s the 4th quarter in a close divisional game or a game with playoff indications, people have the right to get upset if a few bad calls take away momentum. You can’t just be out here expecting your team to dominate every game so adversity doesn’t matter. That’s the goal, sure, but you can’t be too arrogant and expect the other team to not put up a fight. Sometimes when a team is as good as the Patriots, all you can muster is doing “just enough” to beat them. A bad call can singlehandedly take away that “just enough” and put you in a position where it’s nearly impossible to stop them 3-4 times AGAIN.

If you had a good game, and a bad call took away the ball or let the other team keep it unfairly when it’s too late to get it back... that’s huge and a justifiable thing for a fan to be frustrated about.

10. EntryLevelTank

ugh...i'm not saying people shouldn't be/can't be frustrated. I'm saying I personally don't put a whole lot of weight in "the refs screwed me" arguments. How did the Patriots even come into this, and how am I being arrogant in saying teams that suck on 3rd down and throw an interception in overtime should probably shut up about the refs lol.

11. Randall Mentzos

I wasn’t attacking you at all I was just saying fans can’t expect their teams to beat amazing teams AND bad refs haha cause that’s unrealistic

12. EntryLevelTank

Unfortunately....fans NEED to expect their teams to beat amazing teams AND bad refs because all the refs are bad. Expecting that is literally the definition of realistic since it's the most likely scenario they'll be found in.

13. Fucking Dustin

Or we could just get the refs fired

Max_123 and Randall Mentzos like this.
  14. EntryLevelTank

The entire officiating system needs to be overhauled.

15. Fucking Dustin

Luckily the officials just signed a nice 7 year CBA

16. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Sure, it’s rare that a bad call is so definitively bad and so definitively swings the decision of a game. But as the officiating gets so much worse and so much more involved, it’s only going to swing games and come up in crucial moments more, so the “officiating is always bad, what’s the big deal” argument falls flat. The officiating is not just bad, it’s getting worse, and if it keeps following this trend, bad calls are going to have more and more of an influence on game outcomes.

Randall Mentzos likes this.
  17. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Like...

Those are trends, not just the rare game deciding bad call. Penalties should not have such a presence in gameplay.

also this doesn’t paint a full picture and I’m not pinning anything on it, but

Randall Mentzos, CarpetElf and Joe4th like this.
  18. Randall Mentzos Oct 15, 2019
    (Last edited: Oct 15, 2019)
    Randall Mentzos

Its all relative. Yes the refs will always make mistakes. But the timing matters; and whether or not it was a reviewable penalty matters.

To be specific: i don’t worry about a few bad calls if they didn’t deeply affect the final outcome of a game. They might have slowed down a single drive... but that’s no excuse, sometimes you gotta convert 2nd and 20, that’s part of football. HOWEVER, if a bad call happens on a pinnacle play that changes the game a lot, though, or happens really late when there’s no time to bounce back. And there’s clear evidence it shouldn’t have been called? Then I’m not gonna ignore that part of the game’s narrative if my team didn’t play a bad game. The replay camera tells all. The refs have no excuse to go against the replay camera on an important play in the late third or fourth quarter.

Whether or not the same bullshit happened to both teams also matters - if you went to a game with me you’d see that I am fair, I don’t blame officiating if there were only one or two bad calls, or if bad calls are going both ways. I’ll actually correct Jags fans next to me complaining about a call if it was the right call, or if it wasn’t I’ll at least point out times the other team got screwed too. I commonly admit “yeah that was a bad call, but it made up for that lucky break we got on the last drive.”

How MANY bad calls also matters. You wouldn’t see me bitching about that playoff game if it was just the “Myles Jack wasn’t down” thing. As an isolated example that’s not that rare, players get ruled down and their return gets whistled dead often on fumble recoveries.

But, in context, that happened after 3 PI calls, at least two of which were openly wrong calls, gave Brady 30+ yards and put the Pats in scoring range TWICE. AND THEN the game ended in an uncalled holding right in front of Dion Lewis, that allowed him to convert 3rd and 9 on the last drive.

At that point, yeah I’m pissed the refs are fucking up the game. You wouldn’t see me even talking about the refs, if it wasn’t a combination of all those things. If it’s just one or two bad calls? Okay, the team just failed to overcome the adversity, that’s fine and the most fair perspective.

But there’s a limit and there’s a breaking point of bad calls, at which the other team just flat out has the advantage because of it. The Pats got called for only ONE penalty that game while we got called for 13, 4 or 5 of which were iffy or wrong calls based on the replay camera - how realistic is that? One team committed 13 penalties and the other committed only ONE? Nah, the team that got called for 13 is definitely being scrutinized more heavily than the other team, and that team is definitely at a disadvantage. That penalty differential is way too improbable to be legit.

If we both got penalized a bunch and half of BOTH teams penalties were weak,then I wouldn’t care as much. But there are times when one team gets the brunt of unfair calls and it reverses the momentum of a close game. I think we should acknowledge the fact that this happens more than it should in the NFL.

19. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

oh my god thats so long im so glad you wasted time here before going to other thread, you deserve this.

GrantCloud, Max_123 and preppyak like this.
  20. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

Who read all of that lol

CarpetElf likes this.
  21. Randall Mentzos

It basically says you can’t dismiss people being upset about calls if their team got a lot more bad ones than the other team. Or if bad calls happened too late in the game or on a scoring play they’re harder to just “overcome”.

Bad calls going both ways is a moot point and the better team will win anyway. But that’s not always the case, sometimes one team gets hit a lot harder by unfair calls. I don’t think a fan is wrong to be upset by the refs when that happens.

22. preppyak

Elite Supporter

Guys, its Week 7 now

* @Max_123 please make the Week 7 thread so this one can die

GrantCloud and CarpetElf like this.
  23. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Right:

Patriots over Giants
    Panthers over Buccaneers
    Seahawks over Browns
    Redskins over Dolphins