Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

NFL Gameday Week 6 • Page 37

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Swoos, Oct 10, 2019.

1. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

I just assumed Grant was whatting at the misspelling tbh

GrantCloud likes this.
  2. Randall Mentzos

Listen to my EP: terrainofficial .bandcamp.com Prestigious

Jags got fucked on a 3DC Sunday because they reviewed an O B V I O U S pass interference and still called it a fair play

3. PepsiOne

Formerly PepsiOne Supporter

I really don’t get this argument.

Pretty much every team on the winning side of every game in every sport makes mistakes at some point in the game, or fails to take advantage of every break or opportunity. Those teams are still able to put themselves in a position at some point to end the game with more points than the other team. That’s them doing their job.

When a single blown call, or two blown calls like last night, instantly change the outcome of a game, I don’t really see how that’s an “excuse”. They’ve done what they had to do to win, and yet they find themselves having lost. Now a team in maybe the toughest division in football finds themselves in last place instead of first. Were there other reasons they lost? Sure. Did they succeed in putting themselves in a position to win the game in spite of those reasons? Yes. Did the penalties flip that outcome, in a moment, on their own? Yes.

4. Randall Mentzos

Yeah I think it’s inaccurate and irresponsible to suggest that penalties can’t change the entire momentum of a game.

Winning anyway is a good example of a good team overcoming adversity... but I don’t think you can, in good faith, argue the inverse — that there aren’t situations where a last-minute losing team would’ve won without several deflating, ticky tacky (or wrong) calls.

5. Randall Mentzos

Like, we can definitely say the Jags mismanaged that AFCCG... but I also don’t think they would have closed the game out so poorly if we didn’t get called on 3 awful PI calls on 3 different long passes in the third quarter. We likely wouldn’t have adjusted into a soft zone coverage; we’d have kept calling man and shutting DOWN the Pats receivers if a few ugly penalties didn’t scare us off and make us stray from our identity on defense.

We were legitimately playing a dominant game for 3 quarters... and then we switched to zone to protect our CBS from penalties, and Tom Brady sliced and diced it cause we weren’t nearly as strong of a “zone” defense. Was that a conscious decision the coaches made that they ultimately take the blame for? Sure... but do they make that decision in the first place, if the refs aren’t fucking swindling us every time we *legally* boxed out 5’10” Brandon Cooks down the field? Absolutely not.

It’s a CBs job to box out the receiver and run where his route is supposed to be. It’s their job to make the WR feel like he has nowhere to go but further to the sideline, it’s their job to use their body (not their hands) to give Cooks limited space to adjust to the football. That’s exactly what they did and they kept getting called PI. So bullshit.

6. Fucking Dustin Oct 15, 2019
    (Last edited: Oct 15, 2019)
    Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

That's what makes this all messy IMO. Good teams can overcome bad calls but like...they can overcome bad calls like a holding on 1st down that wasn't really holding or an uncalled PI on 2nd down.

The Lions did exactly what was required. They stopped Aaron Rodgers from making Aaron Rodgers magic happen on 3 straight downs. Due to how good Aaron Rodgers is, that's an impressive achievement to get the win. Then the refs gave Rodgers 3 more downs and statistically it's just SO unlikely that he gets stopped in 3 downs a second time (ESPECIALLY when the Lions are out of timeouts due to their aforementioned stops).

And then that happened twice in the exact same manner both times, only difference being the time. You just cannot beat that without a miracle.

7. EntryLevelTank

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

I believe I am arguing in good faith, and what I'm saying is that it's so rare that a blown call is so late and so monumental that it can't be overcome. So, I don't really buy a lot of "the refs cost us the game" arguments. I'd be a lot more interested in "the refs made it harder but we didn't overcome it."

(I didn't see the game last night so I'm speaking more big-picture than about last night in particular)

8. Randall Mentzos

I don’t think it’s that rare. Nobody complains about a bad call in the second quarter when they lose. I think we can find lots of examples of bad calls happening at pinnacle moments of the game. That’s the only time there’s really an uproar about it and it happens frequently

9. EntryLevelTank

Yes...but more often than not the call late in the game wouldn't have been a problem if the team that got called didn't play poorly the first 3 quarters. It happens all the god damn time where a team goes like 2-12 on 3rd down and settles for field goals like crazy, and then say "we woulda won if it wasn't for the refs!"

Like, that to me is the definition of bad faith argument lol

10. Randall Mentzos

And actually there is an example of awful officiating in the second quarter that changed the game. In the Steelers Cardinals Super Bowl, with 0:00 left in the half, James Harrison had a defensive TD. But midway through the return there was a direct “block in the back”, like obvious not even questionable, RIGHT in front of both the broadcast and replay camera.

That egregious no-call allowed the Steelers to score twice in a row when the Cardinals were originally in scoring range, because they got the ball right after halftime as well. That’s 7 points that literally should not have gone up on the board as time expired in the second quarter.

If the Steelers won big, that’s a non issue.. but they BARELY won off a last second game winning touchdown. They likely don’t even get in position to tie/ win the game if that Harrison TD rightfully got called back before halftime.

11. Randall Mentzos

Poorly?? Dude like we are talking about close games haha. I’m not talking about “we lost by 13 but those DAMN refs”. I’m talking about close games where the team is managing the game properly to win.

12. Fucking Dustin

I mean I agree with that. In this instance the Lions were winning by 2 possessions and the terrible calls were both on 3rd downs where possession would change, and both ended with GB getting 2 scores. It's hard to say "Well the Lions should've padded a 3rd possession of points so the refs couldn't do that". You shouldn't have to always factor in extra points for officials going completely rogue in a game of inches.

But yes it is rare. But this is exceptionally bad. And it not only put GB in 1st but took DET from 1st to last and at best split the head to head between division rivals in one of the toughest divisions in the league.

Max_123 and Joe4th like this.
  13. EntryLevelTank

Me: It's rare
    Randall: NUH UH! I HAVE AN EXAMPLE FROM 2008!

Again, i'm not arguing bad calls happen, and i'm not arguing they don't impact the game. I am saying the majority of "the refs cost us the game arguments" are just teams pretending they played perfectly and woulda been fine if not for those damn refs, when in all actuality, they prob missed pleeeeenty of opportunities to not be in a position to get screwed by the refs.

14. EntryLevelTank

I mean...you should always be factoring in extra points for everything. The game is so flukey if you feel comfortable with a lead less than 2947338302 points you're dumb. Looking at you Dan Quinn. Looking at you.

15. EntryLevelTank

....a team can play poorly and still be close. I would argue the Saints played like shit in the NFC Championship and I kinda laugh at them still crying about that damn PI call that is now ruining the whole league.

16. Fucking Dustin

You should factor in extra points for the team you're playing against. You aren't playing against the officials. You can't compare Atlanta to Detroit when Atlanta let Brady march up the field over and over again and Detroit played phenomenal defense to end 2 drives and had those drives stolen.

I beg you, watch the game. I know you're saying this is rare and it is. This game was different. Watch it and then come back.

Max_123 and Joe4th like this.
  17. EntryLevelTank

lol i was just taking a dig at the falcons because they suck.

I'm not arguing about the specific Lions/Packers game though. I'm just kinda "meh" every time i hear "the refs blew the game." I'm always like "Are you new? Oh...You were expecting the refs NOT to suck? Oh honey..." lol

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  18. EntryLevelTank

And to be consistent...i fucking cringe and roll my eyes when i throw on 98.5 and hear patriots fans talk about the refs too.

19. Randall Mentzos Oct 15, 2019
    (Last edited: Oct 15, 2019)
    Randall Mentzos

Did they “play like shit” or was it a close, defensive game that both offenses struggled in? That’s the difference to me. You’re focusing all on “what we’re their offensive efficiency numbers like, if they sucked they didn’t deserve to win”. But that dismisses the fact that having to grind out a win, despite your offense struggling, is a rite of passage everyone takes in the playoffs. Doesn’t necessarily mean the Saints didn’t play well enough in comparison to the Rams to take that one home. It also often simply means they faced a tougher matchup on defense and had to rely on other means to try to win the game.

It’s not about “what were your numbers” it’s “did you make the same amount, or more, crucial plays than the other team?” I think you can definitely say yes about the Lions last night and fairly point to the calls as to why momentum fell out of their favor. Packers straight up played worse and still got the W.

Victor Eremita likes this.
  20. Fucking Dustin

I'm usually like fired up for 1 day and then I get over it and think about it more critically hahaha this was just SO different.

Like with the Saints game I was pretty upset for like a week about how bad the call was but like, they still got a chance to win and then blew that all on their own so in the end who cares. Detroit had no chance to even try.

Max_123 likes this.
  21. EntryLevelTank

Exactly...so i guess what i'm arguing is that the lions example of not having a chance to even try is the exception, not the rule, when it comes to bad calls.

22. EntryLevelTank

And Randall, I'm sorry, but the Saints sucked that game. They 100% deserved that L and then they threw such a god damn hissy fit about it that now we're all suffering.

Randall Mentzos likes this.
  23. EntryLevelTank

You get spotted a 13-0 lead, blow it, win the coin toss in overtime anyway, throw the ball over, and lose? Yeah, take your L and stop threatening litigation ya dopes.

24. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Honestly the game last night makes it almost impossible for me to be excited or even care the rest of the season. It was one of the most deflating losses I’ve experienced and I just don’t know how they’ll be able to try and bounce back to maybe make the wild card

25. Randall Mentzos

Okay but like, that’s like your house getting robbed and then someone saying “oh honey, you didn’t think this city was SAFE did you??”

It still fuckin sucks when it happens to YOUR team. It shouldn’t happen often at all. We have the technology to avoid most bad calls.