Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

NFL Gameday Week 5 [Archived] Football • Page 39

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Max_123, Oct 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Speaking of Mathieu, if we keep him we might have to move Andre Hal back to CB because Justin Reid is amazing

2. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

STG I mistook him as a TE when I saw him for the first time this year

PeacefulOrca likes this.
  3. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

Allen Hurns

4. Fucking Dustin

As crazy as it sounds (for reasons above) we might not even need to next year

Don't get me wrong I WANT us to, but I think the safety situation is pretty good in Houston, if only the corner situation was too

5. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

He was the QB when we went to the playoffs, but he definitely didn't get us there.

Joe Webb III made a more clutch throw than Tyrod did all season in crunchtime

PeacefulOrca likes this.
  6. Fucking Dustin

7. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

8. Fucking Dustin

9. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

This kind of karma is gonna stop the bills from making the playoffs for another decade, sheesh

10. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Are you referring to the game or the Good Place?

Fucking Dustin and whitenblue88 like this.
  11. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

I love that the director of the good place doesn't even watch football now but the joke lives on

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  12. Fucking Dustin

Yes

13. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

Maximum Bortles was fun

CarpetElf likes this.
  14. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Agreed

CarpetElf and PeacefulOrca like this.
  15. Max_123

Nope. Prestigious

The Good Place, I kept trying to record it so I could post it in here lolol

16. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Just finished season two last night so I'm behind on the new ones still. will be catching up tonight lol

17. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

I hate josh Allen but I think the team has umm, other issues

18. does anyone think Mason Rudolph will be good?

19. xkj1985x

Go Dawgs! Prestigious

Fully off the rails

20. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

Not really because I don’t think he’ll get enough PT and practice reps to develop. But maybe if Ben leaves soon and he gets to play with those weapons

21. Randall Mentzos

Listen to my EP: terrainofficial .bandcamp.com Prestigious

You say this with a tone of irony but it outright makes sense to me. You’re more willing to give a QB the benefit of the doubt over a smaller sample size. Becuase you haven’t gotten to see them respond under all circumstances.

The longer you’ve seen that QB play, the more you kind of finalize your personal assessment of that QB, I.e. “we know what Blake Bortles is at this point”, and the less you’re willing to give credit to alternate narratives instead of blaming them when they play poorly. Little boy who cried wolf sort of thing.

22. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Randall Mentzos likes this.
  23. Randall Mentzos

Listen to my EP: terrainofficial .bandcamp.com Prestigious

Sorry to quote you twice Dustin, but you gave me some good talking points. Not being argumentative, this just got me thinking.

Counterpoint - and I say this as a POC who agrees that racism plays an obvious role in the perception of players.

I didn’t think he was ready as a QB because he’s not a very accurate passer. Had nothing to do with his athletic package or any of that, just purely what he does with his arm. It’s not JaMarcus Russell bad, but it’s bad sometimes.

And he didn’t exactly run a Louisville offense that prepared him for pro style ball like Bridgewater did. They were doing the same thing, just trying to capitalize on his athleticism, giving him routes where he can out-throw the DB rather than having to be timing & ball placement precise, etc. We are all surprised by Mahomes but keep in mind Lamar doesn’t have Andy Reid and Mahomes did sit for a year.

Should they be grooming Jackson long term as a QB and not doing this bullshit, hell yeah, he has an arm and that ability to keep poise while being chased. Those things are very promising. Why risk injury and delay development with these distractions?

But, this is still the rookie year of a QB who didn’t come from an advanced college offense (and Josh Allen ain’t doing so well with that context in mind.) Should they start him over Flacco? Sure he’d win a few games right off the bat because teams aren’t used to defending him. But by doing that you throw out line calls and audibles that help you react to the opponents strategy. You lose a lot of the on-time, on-spot throws that some of your receivers (usually the non-studs) need to succeed against tight coverage. You lose the predictability of the pocket, and blockers that are used to blocking that way, have to adjust and learn how to move the pocket & block in space.

And all kinds of plays / routes that require anticipation & understanding of how the play is designed to attack certain defensive looks, suddenly become much less effective with a QB who is just going out there raw, waiting to see someone get open, throwing the ball unplanned and off script.

Could he make things happen for awhile? Absolutely but it comes at the expense of not being able to control the game as much with playcalling, and not being able to respond once defenses figure out his habits and how to stop his playing style.

The Ravens offense is gonna have to change and Lamar is gonna have to meet them in the middle for them to maintain the strategic elements of their game. And as Julian said, Flacco still gets too much guaranteed $$$ for that drastic of a change to happen already.

Like, we see the decline of Flacco and Eli etc and we think “damn they suck now”... but we take for granted how much game management and pre snap maintenance it takes just to keep your whole offense organized and even put up those average numbers. To communicate with your skill position players and line and make sure everyone is on the same page.

While Lamar would certainly add a *spark* to their offense, over a long season it would actually set them back if they started him too early. He needs to learn how to USE his offense and playbook, and how each play is designed to attack, because his teammates don’t really know how to play the way he likes to play right now.

24. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

I woke up this morning and the first thing I saw was an article about how the texans are going to ruin watson and I went that sounds about right but hey WIN.

25. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

I woke up this morning and the first thing I saw was an article about how the texans are going to ruin watson and I went that sounds about right but hey WIN.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.