Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

NFL Gameday Week 15 • Page 11

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Max_123, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Owlex

free snewt Prestigious

Which is exactly what Jerry wants lol

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  2. Kyle is hk

Not Kyle Shanahan Prestigious

Garrett is just a Westworld robot Jerry Jones commissioned

3. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Exactly haha, it's Jerry's dream coach

Owlex likes this.
  4. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

They have probably the greatest offensive line in history. If anything, the great coach is in Washington now. Go Big Red.

5. fronkensteen

Trusted

1. One losing season after coaching for 5-6 years, and that was because Romo was out for 12 games

2. Garrett, along with Stephen Jones and Will McClay, was instrumental in building the team we have through the draft and focusing on building and training that offensive line

3. Romo goes down a few weeks before the season begins and he coaches a rookie quarterback well enough to set all-time Dallas Cowboys franchise records, like 11 wins in a row

I don't understand how anyone could say that Garrett hasn't been great for the Cowboys.

6. xkj1985x

Go Dawgs! Prestigious

Maybe it's just me...but I don't translate 8-8 seasons into success or being "great" particularly when they had one of the best quarterbacks of the modern era.

They are having a very good season this year, no doubt about it but goodness.....

FTank likes this.
  7. Max_123

Nope. Prestigious

Nail meet head

8. Max_123

Nope. Prestigious

No one is saying Garrett is a "bad" coach, but he isn't "great" by any stretch of the imagination either

FTank likes this.
  9. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Dak was behind only Goff in terms of pro-readiness, coaching had a lot to do with it still, but it's not like Garrett transformed Dak or anything.

And again, best OL ever.

10. fronkensteen

Trusted

During those 8-8 seasons, we churned our entire team and went from one of the oldest by average teams to one of the youngest, but still were in contention for the playoffs through week 17. Romo has never started a game where the playoffs weren't still possible. I think it takes a great coach to be able to put all of that together.

I'm not saying he's elite with Belicheck or whatever, but he's top ten.

11. How's that idiotic ? With that line in front of both of them and talent around them any coach would succeed.

12. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

He wasn't even the best coach in Dallas during those years.

13. Max_123

Nope. Prestigious

This says nothing about Garrett and says everything about the state of the NFCE, which was, average at best during those years.

FTank likes this.
  14. Max_123

Nope. Prestigious

I would say that Garrett and Kubiak are very much the same. Kubiak is going to keep you in most games, and not do anything drastic to really fuck up your chances at a win, but he's also not going to out-coach someone and win a game based on his "brilliance"

15. xkj1985x

Go Dawgs! Prestigious

What I'm curious about it that offensive line going forward....how do they keep it together?

Tyron Smith makes 6.8M this year. Next year it balloons up to 15.8.
    Travis Frederick makes 2.1M this year. Next year it shoots up to 14.8
    Zach Martin will make 2.8 next year in the final year of his deal.
    Doug Free makes 7.5 next year
    Ronald Leary is cheap if they keep him around.

This is an example of kicking the can down the road coming back to perhaps get you a little bit. If they can get out from under that Romo albatross then that'll surely help but those cap numbers are rising significantly next year.

16. GraveDigger

Trusted Prestigious

I want to photoshop the Panthers logo on the "I want to die" dolphin meme.

17. fronkensteen

Trusted

Releasing Romo will help out quite a bit.

This argument is one of the weakest things when it comes to situations like this. Who do you think built that line? Or coached them?

18. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Only things I think: Romo gets cut June 1 and Doug Free doesn't stay.

19. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Jerry Jones and Bill Callahan.

20. fronkensteen

Trusted

Jerry Jones has not been the actual GM for five years.

Our GM is a collective of Jason Garrett, Stephen Jones, and Will McClay. Garrett also brought in some great coordinators and assistant coaches. Callahan isn't here anymore, but the line is playing better than ever. What about that?

This is the same argument against us in the early nineties:

Aikman is only good because of the line, Smith, and Irvin
    Irvin is only good because of the line, Aikman, and Smith
    Smith is only good because of the line, Aikman, and Irvin

It's circular bullshit. You don't go 12-2, including an 11-win streak, with a rookie as the most crucial position in the NFL and not be a top ten coach.

21. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

They also have La'el Collins who is cheap but hurt this year

CarpetElf and preppyak like this.
  22. xkj1985x

Go Dawgs! Prestigious

Jerry Jones has been the GM since 1989. Who are we kidding here?

CarpetElf likes this.
  23. fronkensteen

Trusted

He's the GM by title, but he has clearly stepped back five or so years ago and let those others make the decisions on who we draft, pick up in free agency, etc...

24. iam1bearcat

i'm writing a book, leave me alone.

if Jerry Jones was still the lone wolf of being a GM the Cowboys would have drafted Manziel. remember reading something about how Garrett and / or his son talked him out of it.

fronkensteen and Fucking Dustin like this.
  25. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Didn't Jones want Elliot more than anything?