Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

NFL Gameday: Divisional [Archived] • Page 3

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Max_123, Jan 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Randall Mentzos

Listen to my EP: terrainofficial .bandcamp.com Prestigious

Narratives like this piss me off. If we can't win becuase it's 20 fucking degrees then fuck the Jaguars and let me root for a north team. Because HELLO the playoffs happen when its COLD. Every football player ever knows that starting in HIGH SCHOOL. Freaking out over 20 degrees is the part that is stupid as shit.

2. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Anyone wanna help me pick a north team for Randall?

3. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

Jacksonville Jaguars

Max_123, Joe4th and Fucking Dustin like this.
  4. Fucking Dustin

Something something London joke

5. Randall Mentzos

I just think its bullshit. We crushed the Steelers and their home field advantage in the regular season this year. And now no one thinks we can win because of, not even that cold weather.

I'm not saying that game is gonna repeat itself, highly unlikely, Steelers are a good team that I expect to bounce back and play better. For sure.

but acting like we have a slim chance of victory and all the odds are against us just because it's OMG 20 DEGREES is an exaggeration and kinda disrespectful considering what we've already accomplished this year. It shows that people expect this team to roll over, and be mentally weak, now that the games matter. People just assuming we are gonna fart against a team we've beaten 30-9 due to some moderate cold

6. Fucking Dustin

I don't think anyone on earth thinks cold weather is the sole reason the Jaguars could potentially lose

a nice person and Joe4th like this.
  7. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Literally not one single person thinks that or has ever said that, jfc.

8. Fucking Dustin

The Jaguars could lose because
    1. they don't have playoff experience
    2. the Steelers are a great team and many of their players have playoff experience
    3. QB is the most important position at the end of the day in this era of the NFL and the Jags QB is not that great
    4. Leonard Fournette himself gingerly runs in the cold as you have said, which makes it harder for your best offensive player to exploit the Steelers defense's biggest weakness
    5. it's an away game in the first place which does change preparation
    6. it's really any given Sunday and none of these things could matter and it could still be a loss
    7. the referees could have a bad day
    8. the Jaguars offensive line could suffer against the Steelers front 7
    9. injuries could occur
    10. dumb penalties and a lack of discipline could occur with such a young team
    and finally
    11. the cold might affect preparation for multiple players

Any combination of these could happen, it's pretty much never just 1

Joe4th and CarpetElf like this.
  9. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

This is the 4 that make the most sense to me. I think experience wins out in every game.

CarpetElf and Joe4th like this.
  10. Randall Mentzos

my problem is that most of that list, is things that were also stacked against us the first time we played and beat them.

The temperature and the playoffs are the only things that have changed.

Say that you think we'll lose because the Steelers are a more experienced playoff team, and that Bortles is more likely to fuck up the game than to help us out. Say that. i agree with that 100%.

But "it's cold" is the first argument / advantage pointed out by almost everyone I talk to this past week. And my opinion is that, since 20 degrees is pretty regular playoff weather in January in most of the U.S., without snow / wind, that's not even worth talking about. It has nothing to do with the game strategy and it's not cold enough to restrict muscle movement (especially once the body is warmed up). The other reasons we could lose are far more significant. More of our players will wear thermals instead of going sleeveless, to compensate for the 20 degree difference, and they will be fine.

11. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

My argument begins and ends with one word every Jags game

Bottles

12. Fucking Dustin

Wow, who in the hell have you been talking to?! Hahahaha that's honestly incredible.

When the Texans went to Foxboro last year my thought wasn't "the cold is the big thing that'll bring us down". I've never heard a football fan in Texas bring that up as the big disadvantage for any matchup, and that's in Texas, where we complain about the 40s.

13. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Yes, and it's still an advantage.

MOVE. ON.

14. Randall Mentzos

I've heard other reasoning why we'd lose but that's usually on the forefront of the conversation.

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  15. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I brought it up because it's very cold and he said it's not a problem at all and now he's trying to play it off like I said we'll lose because of the cold lol.

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  16. Fucking Dustin

I take back 30% of the bad things I've said about Cowboys fans in my lifetime

Randall Mentzos likes this.
  17. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Because you won't fucking let it go lol.

*complains about it being at the forefront of the conversation*
    *literally won't let it go despite multiple people wanting him to*

18. Randall Mentzos

you've also gone out of your way to find statistics about teams losing in the cold... playing your usual devil's advocate

hahah. I mean, we are allowed to disagree that it's an issue. You gave me a statistic, I gave you reasons why the statistic was broad & included a lot of outliers that don't reflect these game conditions.

19. Fucking Dustin

Also I think the fact that the Steelers are rallying around the Shazier injury as a motivation point can influence the game. It SOUNDS ridiculous, but I mean, cancer made the Colts look passable after 2-14, multiple players have career days after encountering personal tragedy, it is a rallying point nonetheless and it can create drive where there might have not been before, push things to 100% when they were at 85% before, etc.

Joe4th, Randall Mentzos and CarpetElf like this.
  20. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

That's not devil's advocate. Also, even if it was, that doesn't make the statistics invalid, does it?

The proper sentence is "I went out of my way to find statistics because common sense was too much to ask when evaluating people's preparedness for the cold when talking about one group who lives in the cold and one that does not."

For the billionth time - Move on haha.

21. Fucking Dustin

You know, I think we're all starting to get on the same page.

But it would be SO FUNNY if after all this, Dede Westbrook caught a potential game winning pass, but had a shiver that caused him to fumble at the goal line and the Jags lost

CarpetElf and Joe4th like this.
  22. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Yes, we are. However you have been outright denying facts and acting like your opinion holds the same weight. You can think it won't be an issue and I don't care. I take issue with implying that you can disagree with something like "Pittsburgh residents are more accustomed to the cold than Jacksonville residents." That's just common sense and that has been the ENTIRE argument, of which you keep denying. So yeah, if you want to agree to disagree about the effect of the cold that's cool but it's far too late to pretend like you can pull that card lol.

23. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

At this point I almost want that to happen.

Fucking Dustin and Joe4th like this.
  24. Blimp City Hero

Buddy Boy Prestigious

So many...

1) Their name is actually Tightensack Jagwurs over there

2) Their QB's nickname is Downfourth Bottly

3) London will learn about sarcasm as Big Ben beats London's team

Max_123 and Fucking Dustin like this.
  25. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

prediction: goat mariota has some teammates show up and it's a competitive game after gastowski inexplicably misses a gimme

tom brady throws a strike to amendola to win the game with 12 seconds left and i rage quit football

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.