Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

NFL Gameday: Divisional [Archived] • Page 2

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Max_123, Jan 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. GraveDigger

Trusted Prestigious

#SKOL

theagentcoma likes this.
  2. xkj1985x

Go Dawgs! Prestigious

Eagles.

Fuck ALL OF YOU.

BirdPerson likes this.
  3. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

It is cold. They are in Pittsburgh. We are in Florida. They are more accustomed to cold weather.

Antonio Brown played football at Central Michigan. Jalen Ramsey played football at Florida State.
    Big Ben played at Miami (OH). Blake Bortles played at UCF.
    Cameron Heyward played at Ohio State. Calais Campbell played at Miami.

Which is these literally undeniable and basic facts are you denying?

4. Randall Mentzos Jan 11, 2018
    (Last edited: Jan 11, 2018)
    Randall Mentzos

Listen to my EP: terrainofficial .bandcamp.com Prestigious

this whole argument is just a weak ass argument if there isnt any inclement conditions

I just dont agree that 20 degrees is an issue like, -5 degrees or a snow storm is an issue.

You know better than to say Campbell won't play as well because it's a little cold haha. Give the veterans some more credit. If anything maybe our younger / more immature players might not toughen up.

5. Max_123

Nope. Prestigious

Eagles were my pick until Wentz went down
    Sorry KJ

6. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

It's not a weak argument lol. It may be an inconvenient one for you but it's certainly not weak when there is a clear and observable trend of warm weather teams losing games played at cold stadiums when cold is defined at below freezing. Especially considering the Jags haven't played below freezing all year.

It doesn't matter if you agree with a fact or not haha.

7. Randall Mentzos

there isn't really. The percentage of away team victories isn't that far off in cold weather than normal weather. Also below freezing includes ALL temperatures below freezing, including blizzards and below zero days. So the commonplace situation we are talking about is skewed by statistics of games in much worse weather.

8. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Regardless of outright complete physical effect, a different climate can have a subconscious effect. Sure, it's their jobs to deal with that, but it can still change the way a player plays even if they don't realize it.

Max_123, Joe4th and CarpetElf like this.
  9. Fucking Dustin

It can change the way a player warms up (Ha!), mental and physical mechanics, etc. I'm not saying it tremendously overrules how an away game can affect a player, but it's still a noticeable change.

But it obviously isn't enough to where like, if the Jaguars lose on Sunday, they can just go "It was cold" and it flies as an excuse. But I don't think anyone's saying that.

10. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

It's 10 percent lower, so swing and a miss there lol. That's also defining cold weather as 32 degrees, not 19 degrees, which is now the projected high for Sunday, which is sandwiched between three days of rain on one end and three days of snow on the other.

Yes, but tha

11. Randall Mentzos

also, Yannick Ngakoue is from Maryland, Malik Jackson came from Central Michigan & then Denver, Dede Westbrook & Aaron Colvin comes from Oklahoma which certainly dips in the 20s in winters, Tashaun Gipson played in Cleveland most of his career, Barry Church is from Toledo, Poz played in Buffalo & Penn State,

I can name plenty of Jaguars who will be fine. If you want me to get petty I'll start naming the PIttsburgh players from the south too. This isn't a battle of teams who have never seen each other's climates before, players come from all over and just cause you played in FL for 2-3 years doesn't mean you totally lose your ability to acclimate.

I reiterate, the NFL playoffs happen in January lol every single player prepares themselves to play in the cold.

12. Randall Mentzos

incorrect. This broad stat defines cold weather as 32 degrees and EVERYTHING BELOW. It doesn't just document 32 degree games.

so you're lumping -30 blizzards with a clear 19 degree day.

13. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

And which is more common, a -30 blizzard or 32 degrees?

14. Fucking Dustin

I'll put it simply:

One team has the resources to continuously prepare in the conditions they'll be playing in. The other does not have as many opportunities to prepare in these conditions. The one with more opportunities to prepare has an advantage in this field.

Joe4th likes this.
  15. Randall Mentzos

Also what's the time frame? I'm asking this one out of curiosity cause I just calculated the away game win percentage since the 2002 expansion, and it's 41%. 1094 away wins versus 1498 home wins.

You told me the away win game percentage for south teams in the cold is around 35% -- considering all temperatures and forms of precipitation and wind below 32 degrees.

I'm willing to bet that extra 6% was because of snow or wind or extreme bitter cold.

16. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

So which is more common, -30 blizzards or 32 degrees?

17. Randall Mentzos

32 degrees, but the results of snow and high wind games are so overwhelmingly in favor of north teams that the statistic could easily be skewed.

For example, beating Green Bay or Chicago at home with lake-effect wind gusts of 30-40 mph going on is pretty much impossible becuase they know better than anyone how to play a game like that. That's a lot of these "below 32 degree" days right there.

18. Randall Mentzos

My argument still stands - it's snow and wind that influences that stat, not a moderately low temperature.

No snow? No excessive wind? then I don't fear Heinz Field.

We really don't lose there as often as you would think, a lot of Jags wins against PIttsburgh historically have come in their stadium. Including our last playoff win. Even when we were a bad or mediocre team we've still beaten the Steelers in Pitt a couple times. I also remember a 9-0 MNF shutout in Heinz Field in 2005.

19. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

It doesn't lol. Come on.

20. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Dustin, can you please just post the Cold music video and then we can all move on

21. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Considering how many games are played in 32 degree weather for cold weather teams, I don't think that can be skewed very easily at all. You're talking 2-3 games a year skewing a data set of 50+?

Also, Jacksonville played in 23 degree weather and lost to Tennessee and 39 degree weather and looked horrible against the Browns. Those were the two coldest games from this year.

Their coldest game last year was 42 and they lost to the Bills.
    2014 - 42 lost to the Bengals, 47 lost to the Ravens.

But in the end, this is just all really fucking stupid. Pittsburgh is more accustomed to the cold than Jacksonville. It is mindnumbingly stupid to argue against that. I am done. 0-4 in the last four years when playing under 50 degrees. The game is projected to be no warmer than 19 degrees, the coldest temperature that the majority of this team has ever played at. Pittsburgh has a slight advantage because they are more accustomed to the cold. This is a fact. If you don't like, cool lol. This is stupid as fuck jesus christ

22. Fucking Dustin

[​IMG]

dadbolt, Max_123 and Joe4th like this.
  23. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Okay, we can lock the thread until Saturday now, nothing will be better than this

dadbolt and Fucking Dustin like this.
  24. Randall Mentzos

lol well before this year we lost a lot, so honestly we probably lost those games because we're a worse team. Now you're bringing in games that were 47 degrees like it doesn't get 47 regularly in Jacksonville during football season? You just hate the cold and you're projecting that into your argument.

25. Fucking Dustin

I feel like it has so much charm

Joe4th likes this.
Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.