Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Next Nintendo Console Set for March 2017 • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 27, 2016.

1. BelieF

Regular

Nintendo has never had a problem making good games, their problem is convincing the growing cod Era of gamers to play a Zelda game. If they want to compete their system needs to be just as powerful as the rest and even then good luck getting Xbox live players to convert to nintendo. The casual market is flocking to phone games because what's more casual then playing a game on your phone one in a while or when you have spare time. Personally tho idk how people play any fps on consoles still.

2. Fox83

Trusted

Funny. I've found the opposite. As I've gotten older, I've appreciated the quality of Nintendo 1st party titles more than the oversaturated landscape of shooters and "gritty" titles that I liked more as a teenager. I love video games in general, but I find myself more appreciative of Nintendo's offerings these days.

3. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

Yup. Said this before, if 3rd party devs would be able to code for a Ninty console I think that would solve a lot of issues for them.

4. Woohoo!

Regular

My senior year in college (Accounting Major) one of my capstone classes was a group project in strategic management. Each group needed to pick a non-diverse company to analyse the company and its competitors and make suggestions for ways to improve and so on. My group chose Nintendo which of course is the only right answer to which company should you choose. Xbox (Microsoft) and PlayStation (Sony) couldn't be chosen because they are too diverse but they still needed to be analysed somewhat as competitors. One of our suggestions was Nintendo needs to start doing mobile gaming but we figured they would take like a decade to do so because they are really big on not letting the intellectual properties (Mario, Donkey Kong etc) get watered down. We also said they needed to release a home new console by around the time they now plan on doing it. We also said it needs a distinct name. We found that almost everyone we talked to thought the Wii U was a deluxe edition of the Wii or something. So a bad name could actually be a devastating move.

Frank Lapidus likes this.
  5. Agree with this. I grew up with Nintendo and then eventually decided that I was too old for their games. Bought an Xbox in an attempt embrace more "mature" games, but didn't find much that I really enjoyed and ended up abandoning gaming almost entirely. Came back to Nintendo with the Wii and Wii U and have had a blast with their first party catalog. Their games may be kid-friendly, but nearly all of them are quality games and just plain fun. I've come to appreciate that and realize that for me, there isn't any other factor more important than having fun with a console.

Penguin and Fox83 like this.
  6. Penguin

just let me cry a little bit longer Prestigious

I didn't get a Wii U because my roommate had one that I was able to use through most of its lifespan, but it had a lot of really strong offerings, including (in my opinion) the best Super Smash Bros and Mario Kart games yet. Now that I'm out of college and can hopefully start buying video games more frequently, I'm excited as hell to jump into the NX when everybody else is.

I'm not sure if I understand the portable thing though--are they saying that instead of a console and a handheld (Wii U and 3DS), it's both? Like you play games on the console or just take the "Gamepad" or whatever as the handheld device? That could be cool.

7. I think that's the belief at this point. Rumor is that it's going to replace both the Wii U and the 3DS. Nintendo has yet to officially announce any details, though.

8. ZeoVGM

Regular

GameCube was actually profitable for Nintendo. Wii U is their only legitimate failure. (Well, you could go back 25 years to Virtual Boy but I don't think many people would even count that seeing as they still had Game Boy at the time.)

They aren't remotely in a situation like Sega which had failure after failure before having to exit (Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Nomad, Dreamcast).

"The only difference" is an absolutely huge difference though. Nintendo has the portable market (new Pokemon at the end of this year will give another boost to that), amiibo and now the mobile market. They'll be making so much profit with their mobile games it's not even funny.

This will allow them to continue doing home consoles. They're in no danger of going away there.

As for market share from Sony and MS, they can coexist. Having a third system just like theirs would be the dumb thing to do because there are already two other options out there. Doing something unique and different is what helps them stand apart, even if it doesn't always work. It worked with Wii, failed with Wii U and we'll see what happens with NX.

9. ZeoVGM

Regular

Tropical Freeze is amazing. I need to finish Wooly World too.

10. ZeoVGM

Regular

That's part of the rumor I guess. Nintendo is being vague about it. One rumor points towards there being a "base" at home that you plug the portable system into and it turns it into a home console. You unplug it and then bring it with you if you want.

Another rumor is that there is an NX "ecosystem." You can buy a home console or a handheld and the games will work with both, whichever you prefer. As to how the physical games would be sold, they couldn't use Blu-rays for that so I would assume some sort of card instead.

I'm actually mixed on this. Part of me is sad because I loved having two separate systems. So many good memories with the DS and 3DS. This is certainly the end of the "dual screen" era, which makes sense, but I'll miss it.

On the other hand, this allows Nintendo to consolidate development. Imagine a single console with the game library of 3DS and Wii U?

Penguin likes this.
  11. Penguin

just let me cry a little bit longer Prestigious

This would be especially nice for Virtual Console stuff so that you don't have to buy games twice if you want them on the console and handheld.

12. Guys Named Todd

Regular Prestigious

I'm with you for two reasons. 1) I find the escapism of video games much more satisfying if it's the fun, carefree types Nintendo typically offers. 2) I'm largely a casual gamer, and Nintendo still offers games that have quick, easy-to-complete levels.

Patterns in Traffic and Fox83 like this.
  13. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Am cautiously optimistic about this... Couldn't fully get on-board with the past couple of Nintendo consoles. Maybe this will be the one.

14. honkytonk

Narcissism on narcotics

I can totally see where you're coming from. It's not to say I don't appreciate Nintendo titles (the only consoles I've ever owned are from Nintendo). I think it's more that I'd like to see them delve deeper into some of their characters (my aforementioned titles) instead of Mario Kart/Party #. I wish they'd release games for these characters on console rather than for the 3DS. From my experience, the other consoles generally offer more in terms of gameplay and storytelling. I'm all for taking a breather and playing a light-hearted game, but when it's the only system I have, the lack of depth in some titles gets tiring. Basically I want more games like Twilight Princess haha.

15. stefoske

Wrong, loss of third party support, the dreamcast selling more than the Wii U in its 1.5 years (9 million) than the Wii U did in the same time period, a downward trend in their home console sales - there are parallels and difference, saying there are none is just wrong.

Continual erosion of their market share in the console space means we do not know if they can coexist long term.

I feel the shareholders will disagree long term that running a loss in the console space is worth it because you are making a profit else where if you aren't gaining ground at all but losing it.

I hope they continue to do well in handheld and their new mobile offerings, though physical DLC and locking things behind pieces of $18 plastic, otherwise known as Amiibo doesn't sit right with me, I dislike them more than them not supporting my console long term.

It worked with the Wii due to something Nintendo couldn't predict, you cannot know something will be a fad, and they clearly don't as the PS2 sold like 130 million more units than the gamecube, and the Wii U selling worse than the dreamcast.

I like Nintendo games and for some of my friends Nintendo is their favorite, yet they didn't like the motion controls after the initial novelty wore off, or aren't the biggest fans of the Wii U controller, You can get lucky with a gimmick, but it doesn't mean it makes it better. I didn't buy the Wii U for its controller, I purchased it for the games I like to play.

This is all getting a bit long and has turned into a discussion of this and that, but the reality is every time they put out a console they sell less and less of them, EXCEPT with the wii, which isn't a business model, as it was a fluke of the moment, a trend, a fad and something Nintendo has acknowledged was a mistake to pursue when they changed focus from core to casuals.

The Nes, the Snes, the N64 and the gamecube didn't have stupid gimmicks. Just a reasonably priced box and a controller.

So yeah, what would be so bad about Nintendo having access to far more market share to sell the thing we actually give a shit about, the games? and how can they do that reliably? By partnering up or going third party, in the same way they do not own smart phones but push their games on them and make lots of money due to the size of the market they have access too.

Reasonable? It's one way they could go if the NX fails.

16. Spencer Young

Don't ask me why.

What I'm more interested in this time around is watching how Nintendo handles its 3rd party content and supporters. If I'm not mistaken, two of those games on your list were third party and I believe both had Nintendo involvement. I remember when Nintendo first announced the Wii U, everyone was like "no shovelware" and they were liked "EA likes us" and then that went nowhere.,,So, we'll see. Should be an interesting one.

17. Spencer Young

Don't ask me why.

I see where you're coming from, my man. I do think that many of their titles, while assumingly meant for younger children, are actually aimed at the entire family (easy to grasp, hard to master), but your point is valid: everyone thinks Nintendo is for kids and every teenage boy, who thinks being a "man" entails shooting things and making dick jokes, wants a PS4 or Xbox One because it caters to their perception of what's "cool". Sorry, if that was a little harsh, but your comment made me think about this. Nintendo, from a purely sales and marketing standpoint could DEFINITELY benefit from some less "goofy" titles, as you put it. It'll be interesting to see if things work out this time. They've tried to appeal to the "mature" audience in the past and their efforts fell flat.