Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Next iPhone to See More Subtle Changes • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 21, 2016.

1. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

So I won't be able to listen to music and charge my phone at the same time?

Schooner likes this.
  2. Full Effect Ed likes this.
  3. Full Effect Ed

...In F*cking Full Effect Prestigious

You know what I use my 3.5 jack for?
    Listening to music in my car via AUX

You know what I'm gonna do when I get the iPhone 7?
    Continue to use that AUX when I keep my 6s and still listen to music through that

Seriously, like you said, let's keep technology moving forward. There's so many different ways to help cope with these advancement times, let's get over "the struggle".

Jason Tate likes this.
  4. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Looks like I'm not getting the new iPhone for the first time

Schooner likes this.
  5. Chris Lei

Same expectations. I am also hoping for true wireless charging, not what Samsung promotes with the S7.

Jason Tate likes this.
  6. hongfong00

The sky had blackened with carrion birds. Supporter

Oh my God!!! I know, right....I was just bitching yesterday to a guy at the apple store about how amazing my classic iPod is and how devastated I am about them discontinuing it...I hope mine lasts for a long time.....

7. RoKKeR

The Fly

How does it not?

8. No device I've bought in years needs one, most are mifi or Bluetooth. But a tiny adapter would fix it anyway. So it's not even remotely an issue.

9. morken

Not everything means something, honey Supporter

I am SO down with removing the headphone jack. It IS archaic technology. Since I switched to over-ear bluetooth headsets, using earphones or headphones with cable feels incredibly annoying. Although bluetooth is still not great in terms of range, stability etc, we'll get there.

10. morken

Not everything means something, honey Supporter

And if you don't have a car with bluetooth integrated, just install a bluetooth adapter from Grom Audio. It works great. I think they have models for most cars.

11. Mike

The product is maturing (plateauing). Do I want a phone right now that relies on Bluetooth headphones? No. I don’t think the technology is there for battery life. Is this a smart move? Yes. It will push the tech forward, which is necessary. The people complaining are the same that freaked out with the removal of the disc drive in the Macbook air and the addition of the lightning connector. And these people need to chill. Apple isn’t doing this to solely screw with the customers to get them to purchase new proprietary accessories. The changes are forward facing advancements.

My only complaint is battery life. Both phones and Bluetooth headphones. I think those are the hurdles that will be less of an issue in 5-10 years (when the headphone jack is long dead in tech).

I won’t be upgrading this year but I might next year. Better battery life and larger storage are the two things that will motivate me to sell my 6s. There isn’t any other reason for me at this point to upgrade but I look forward to seeing how the phones continue to advance.

12. jorbjorb

7 rings

blue tooth wireless ear buds will be cool just a bigger chance I could lose them lol

13. bloodinthesand

Regular

It will only have the lightening jack....Headphone companies will now have to keep up and add a lightening cable...Audeze is the only company so far that is jumping on

14. NotBruce

Regular

Reminder that there are other phones in the world that will still use the 3.5 jack, if that's your thing.

15. Stage Banter

A music review podcast.

One benefit of lightening headphones is that they could add a built in DAC for improved audio. Granted these will all be expensive options in the short term.

16. Wireless charging or smart connector charging on the back of the phone

17. Schooner

Trusted

Mines hanging on for dear life. It's my prize possession. The perfect music device

18. hongfong00

The sky had blackened with carrion birds. Supporter

It is!!...so perfect....maybe they can release it every 5 years or something...

Schooner likes this.
  19. The_Effort

Regular Supporter

I really liked my classic but I got the iPhone6 with 128gigs and it is wayyyyy better than having two different devices. It's a little less space but not enough to matter much so far.

20. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

I tend to feel the likely outcome of this falls somewhere in between Patel and Gruber's arguments - it will move the tech forward and in 5 years we'll wonder why we ever persisted with the headphone jack, but in the mean time it will significantly inconvenience many consumers (as did the switch from the 30 pin plug).

My concerns at this point are mostly around the nuisance of having to carry potentially two dongles around with me everywhere I go - one to use with my current headphones, and possibly another to use that dongle while charging my phone (I'm not yet convinced wireless charging will be a feature of the new phone, but if it is it would obviously eliminate one of these problems). Bluetooth headphones are, at this point, largely inferior to wired headphones, and don't even get me started on Apple's stock headphones as far as comfort and performance goes so using those is not really an option unless there is a significant improvement in design. This inevitably means purchase of third-party lightening headphones - I'm not sure of the quality of these atm given the tech seems fairly new, but perhaps it's time to start researching.