Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Next iPhone to See More Subtle Changes

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Daisuke Wakabayashi and Eva Dou, writing for the Wall Street Journal:

Apple Inc. plans to break with its recent pattern of overhauling the design of its flagship iPhone every two years and make only subtle changes in the models it will release this fall, according to people familiar with the matter….

The biggest planned change in this year’s phones is the removal of the headphone plug, which will make the phone thinner and improve its water resistance… Apple plans bigger design changes for 2017, the 10th anniversary of the original iPhone.

The “like the 6S but without a headphone jack” is going to get beat to death by the tech press. I’m willing to bet the internals are a nice upgrade. At this point Apple should just introduce new colors since the outside appearance is what seems to matter the most to some people. But, it definitely looks like it’s time to prepare for our 3.5mm jack-less world.

2. lordjedediah

N00b3

I hate that they are getting rid of the 3.5mm jack but I'm not willing to make the change to Android.

Who is asking for a thinner phone? Wouldn't we all be happier with a thicker phone with a longer battery life?

fenway89 and sebastianrcgr like this.
  3. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

I don't have a WSJ account or subscription, so not sure if this is in there, but the other thing I had read about it last week was the potential for the home button to not actually be a button, but to use 3D touch to gauge a "press," which would come into play with the water resistance I suppose.

I'm probably in the minority now that is still on a two year contract, so I'm okay with getting the bigger overhaul next year.

4. Ska Senanake

Trusted

What will it have instead of a 3.5 mm headphone jack? Apple fucking sucks. I still can't forgive them for discontinuing ipod classics.

5. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

I don't understand why they want to get rid of something that I assume a mass amount of their customers still actively and routinely use. Are they developing something else for those who use headphones in their daily lives? I commute via public transit daily downtown and don't know what I would do without being able to listen to podcasts or music, or even voicemails, videos, etc. Makes zero sense to remove something that will, IMO, cause backlash from longtime users.

6. jorbjorb

7 rings

Probably will just keep my iphone 6. I think it will run the next IOS fine and this will save me a lot of money.

7. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

Sound quality would hopefully be better, and I hear that the first version will have an adapter? Blue tooth thereafter I guess...better start saving for a good pair of head phones.

fenway89 likes this.
  8. Stage Banter

A music review podcast.

Some leaked schematics suggest that Apple may not actually be getting rid of the headphone jack--at least in one iteration of the new phone. I really hope they don't toss out the jack. Just another way Apple makes sweeping changes with complete disregard to what consumers might think.

In either case, here's an interesting video on the subject:

9. stuckinvhs

Social Justice Wizard Prestigious

"Quality doesn't matter, just make that shit as thin as possible."
    -Steve Jobs probably

Jose, Schooner and Stage Banter like this.
  10. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

While I've seen reports recently that suggested the jack will stay, I actually don't think getting rid of the jack is a bad idea in itself. its annoying since we still have other headphones and whatnot, but I see it as a change that was going to happen somewhere else and take over the tech world eventually anyway. That said, I agree I'd much much rather have better battery than an even thinner phone.

Stage Banter likes this.
  11. Schooner

Trusted

Are they including Bluetooth headphones in it if they're going to do this?

12. "I love my floppy drives."

- This thread.

13. If the upgraded internals can improve battery life then I guess it's a decent upgrade. And how about some water resistancey?

14. Stage Banter

A music review podcast.

Seems like a good Encore discussion. I can see why Apple would want to ditch the headphone jack--thinner phone, more room for internals, continued innovation, the Apple way, etc. I just think getting rid of it alienates a lot of people.

The headphone jack is a staple of audio equipment that has thus far withstood the digital port takeover. And getting rid of the jack just means everyone will need to buy some adapter to play music in their car, on a stereo or through headphones. I know the same sea-change happened with the old pin connectors, but that doesn't make these overhauls any less annoying for consumers who have to buy more peripherals to perform a simple function.

15. It's on an old episode already.

If the argument is "3.5mm forever" then I disagree completely. At some point old, outdated, ports die. The jack's had a long run. I'm fine with it going away.

16. Chris Lei

Completely agree. People complain Apple doesn't move tech forward anymore. People then complain when Apple does something to move tech forward. I could be wrong, but I think we will actually be getting better audio via lightening cable headphones as it can carry more data.

Also, not sure if WSJ mentioned this, but 2017 is the 10yr iPhone annivsary. Makes sense that they use 2016 to start moving phones to a 3yr cycle.

Jason Tate likes this.
  17. RoKKeR Jun 21, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 21, 2016)
    RoKKeR

The Fly

This is idiotic and anti-consumer, at least right now. Removal of a universally used and accessible port for what, a slightly thinner phone and waterproofing? The iPhone is already thin enough and my S7 Edge is waterproof despite having a headphone jack.

If they actually go through with this I hope it bites them in the ass.

Here are some reasons why this is stupid: Taking the headphone jack off phones is user-hostile and stupid | The Verge

I'm not anti wireless or think that we should hold on to 3.5mm forever, but wireless headphones are nowhere near good enough or prolific enough for Apple to justify doing this IMO.

Schooner likes this.
  18. Full Effect Ed

...In F*cking Full Effect Prestigious

Hahahaha yes!

19. I wonder how this will affect people who use the aux cord in their cars

20. It's ridiculous how overblown it is. Unless everyone is sitting around with their VGA ports all plugged in.

Move tech forward. Is it gonna be annoying for a bit? Sure. But unless we want that port for another 100 years, let's kill it.

Mike likes this.
  21. 1) God Nilay remains the most insufferable tech writer in the world (easily number one now that Blodget and Lyons don't write much anymore).

2) It won't be wireless only if they do this, there's no way.

22. Schooner

Trusted

I agree. I really love my Bluetooth headphones. But often find myself dying battery in them (3 day usage) and have to go back to my white Apple phones

Plus so convenient at a party just to chuck yours and other iPhones in a aux cord for tunes

I don't think my 2010 pretty decent car has Bluetooth either. I use its AUX on that

23. RoKKeR

The Fly

So it will be wireless + Lightning headphones, which will alienate pretty much anybody who uses their headphones with any other media device. Not much better, especially when that introduces the need for dongles in order to ensure compatibility between devices.

I just don't understand Apple's rationale for this, at least not right now. The 3.5mm jack is universally used, reliable, and consistent. If it was some outdated, archaic technology that clearly needed to be replaced, then I would see why they might move away from it. The reasons for removing it (according to the WSJ) don't justify it at all.

24. I expect the 10 year anniversary to remove the home button, go full glass, and be the "big" departure. This is the half move.

25. No it doesn't. And they'll be phased out in a few years.