Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

New York City Thread Location • Page 9

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Whatjuliansaid, Apr 7, 2016.

1. h8bit

@ghastlyfeline Prestigious

I gotta give it to Archies in Bushwick personally.

Whatjuliansaid likes this.
  2. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

great list, completely forgot about Lucali

since we're talking pizza, VICELAND has a cool show hosted by Frank Pinello of Best Pizza. it's entertaining and it's not all NYC based.

The Pizza Show - VICE Video

3. h8bit

@ghastlyfeline Prestigious

Also uh, anyone hiring ux designers lol

4. TedSchmosby

Trusted

I'm here for the first time and I saw a dude that looks like Heath Ledger and another that looks like Dan Harmon. Cool city

5. Whatjuliansaid

News on once the clouds are gone. Prestigious

Wait, are you here for the game?

6. a_cuppa_joe May 3, 2017
    (Last edited: May 4, 2017)
    I rode the NYC Ferry (formerly known as East River Ferry) last night from the Brooklyn Bridge to Greenpoint and WOW. Best/quickest/easiest/most pleasant commute I've ever had.

sean_rugy likes this.
  7. sean_rugy

my gf's office just got moved to dumbo and she does this every now and then and loves it.

fluxyjoe likes this.
  8. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Nah, I just decided to take a greyhound here from Canada and stay here for a week on a whim. Tbh I don't even know what game you're talking about

9. Whatjuliansaid

the sens play the rangers in the playoffs, I thought hockey was supposed to be bigger there haha

10. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Everyone else I know is pretty into it, but I'm more of a fan of apples and word based board games

polyfilla and Whatjuliansaid like this.
  11. Whatjuliansaid

Literal apples or apples to apples, the game? Haha

12. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

How horrible is the commute from the city to Montclair? Does that bus/train/whatever line exist? Is it feasible for somebody to work full time there but live in NYC? I got offered a job in Montclair but I'd want to live in the city if possible

13. Cody

regardless I'm moving to the east coast in December, which is p cool

14. Whatjuliansaid

When I was younger, maybe 10yrs ago... I had friends who lived there and it was a pain in the ass for them because I think only buses go there and they're not great. Perhaps it's changed but I'm not sure.

Cody likes this.
  15. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

I commute in from New Jersey by bus and it's actually the best commute I've ever had.

Tons of people commute in from Montclair. There are plenty of trains and buses from at area.

Cody likes this.
  16. TedSchmosby

Trusted

I'm sure the important stuff in New York is expensive, like housing and stuff, but after staying for a week I'm surprised and how affordable most of the things I was concerned with were. Convenient stores and snack foods were all insanely cheap, produce from stands all had great prices and even tickets to some Broadway shows started at a price much lower than I was expecting.

17. Whatjuliansaid

That's how I feel when I go to your neck of the woods, also your rent is 1/3 of ours if not more lol

18. TedSchmosby

Trusted

I guess every time you and I visit the stores change their prices to cater to us specifically. Fifty cent granola bars, hell yeah

19. Cody

If a person were working in Montclair but wanted to maximize their time in NYC, where would you recommend they live? Are there any notable midpoints between the two that have the proximity to the city but the (presumably) somewhat more affordable real estate of NJ?

20. sean_rugy

you're gonna wan to be close to a PATH station most likely. I have a friend who works in north jersey but lives in Hoboken, we see each other almost every weekend and occasionally during the week. it's not cheap by any means though. the same thing applies to Jersey City as well, although a little more affordable. the PATH can be pretty unbearable late night but I've found it sticks to a set schedule better than the subways. I've also heard good things about Weehawken but they lack a PATH station.

21. Whatjuliansaid

Same with weehawken, they have buses though. I had a friend move here to jersey city and he liked it a lot. Path is good but if not nj transit trains are fine. Path takes you throughout some of the city while nj transit takes you to midtown.

sean_rugy likes this.
  22. sean_rugy

yup forgot about buses! probably because port authority terminal is an abomination haha

23. Whatjuliansaid

I did mention buses, just not port authority. It really is the worst, not that penn is any better. Gross city.

sean_rugy likes this.
  24. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

is anyone here going to northside fest stuff? ticket price goes up tomorrow and i'm still really torn

mercury and Whatjuliansaid like this.
  25. mercury

modern-day offspring fanatic Supporter

same... mostly I'm interested in the show @ McCarren on sunday, and I'm weighing whether to buy the badge and make a weekend outta it or take my chances with the free passes