Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

New York City Thread Location • Page 5

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Whatjuliansaid, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Does couchsurfing work? How expensive is Airbnb? Anybody have any clever travel hacks along these lines? I have like zero money for lodging, probably should've thought of that beforehand. I'm not worried, I'm crafty with things like this, but figured I'd ask.

2. alert=danger

Eat The City. Eat It Whole. Prestigious

They weren't cheap, I'll tell you that.

Richter915 likes this.
  3. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

Depends where you do the airbnb. Parts of queens like Long Island City, Astoria, and Williamsburg (in brooklyn) are very tourist friendly...they're also super gentrified areas so finding hosts isn't hard.

4. Horrorca

Trusted

ugh

OWEN and Death Grips playing on the same day, at the same time... 30 mins or more away from e/o

I've seen DG, never seen Owen or AF...

what to do?!

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

isn't there a fairly decent chance Death Grips won't show or are they no longer pulling shit? I imagine Owen would be good

Henry and h8bit like this.
  6. TedSchmosby

Trusted

I've romanticized New York City so much based on sitcoms and Christmas movies (Home Alone 2 represent). I've lived in a small town all my life and New York seems like another world. They have like, over six kinds of bagels there, right?

Richter915 and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  7. h8bit

@ghastlyfeline Prestigious

still gotta grab tickets but I will most likely be seeing Owen on that date :thumbup:

8. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I'm considering the Death Grips show.

9. Horrorca

Trusted

I don't think so... hopefully not

I've seen DG before and OWEN never... I'm not sure what to do, I love Kinsella, but I feel DG is going to be so much fun

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  10. Horrorca

Trusted

I think Angel Olsen plays that same day and there's the Basillica fest too...

NYC is insane

11. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I'm missing Modern Life is War and Tear It Up to go see PERFUME. I feel pretty bad about that one.

12. NERDBIRD

<tweets>

I'd see DG over Owen, I wasn't terribly impressed by Owen's live show tbh. Love all things Kinsella til death but you'll almost definitely have more fun at the Death Grips show.

13. Horrorca

Trusted

I have two tickets, if I decide to go you can have one for free - if I decide to go to DG, I'll sell them to you at face value

how about that?

Henry likes this.
  14. Horrorca

Trusted

That's what I was thinking

15. h8bit

That sounds great!

16. Horrorca

Trusted

anyone going to the Touché Amoré/HUM gig?

sean_rugy likes this.
  17. John Lopiano

aka Broken Parachute Moderator

This seems like perhaps a morbid suggestion, but if you're downtown at any point, 't's worth checking out the 9/11 memorial and museum and then checking out the 1 World Trade Center observatory.

18. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

Yup! And the best pizza on earth, just don't tell people from Chicago that.

Depiction of NYC in media is kind of crazy. Girls gives a relatively accurate idea of it but still wiffs on some of the huge financial and social issues young people go through here. My favorite is how the running joke against friends was that, for a show based in NYC, there's almost no black people in it ever haha.

h8bit and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  19. scroopy.noopers

: (

For as big as this city is, I've been struggling to find what is good NYC pizza. It is supposed to be just a shitload of cheap cheese on bread that tastes like cardboard? Honestly, the best pizza I've had here so far has been from Dominos.

20. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

I'm just going to ask this just to get it out of the way, so I can figure out alternatives if I need to.

Is there anybody here that would be willing to let me stay with them for any period between 9/1-9/6, or 9/9-9/10? Not sure if I know anyone in here well enough to ask this, but again, testing waters. Looks like I'm gonna be in the DC/Baltimore areas from 9/6-9/8, so that's covered, but I'd love to meet more people from here if at all possible in addition to seeing the city in the remaining Time. Super hoping to see some cool shows/concerts with cool people. So yeah! If you're up for that, PM me or quote me or whatever and let me know. Even if it's just for a night! I'll buy you a meal or some drinks or something, plus we both leave one friend up. Win-win as far as I'm concerned.

21. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

scooped up tickets to the Hum/TA gig asap. also seeing Brand New/Modest Mouse next Thursday followed up by Hotelier on Friday.

22. Horrorca

Trusted

23. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

dear lord, where are you getting your pizza?

Dirty Sanchez and mercury like this.
  24. h8bit

So i'm an idiot and ordered 2 tickets to The Hotelier next week and can't make it. I paid $39 for them, but i'm happy to sell them minus all the bullshit ticketmaster charges for $30 if anyone is interested.

25. danielalee12

Regular

Go to Artichoke and Basille. It's amazing pizza!

Derek likes this.