Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

New York City Thread Location • Page 2

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Whatjuliansaid, Apr 7, 2016.

1. eversotru

harmony in a sad song

That's flat out nasty and should be done at home. I've had dudes masturbate and pee in front of myself or other women on the train. Mightbe the only thing I don''t enjoy about NYC, gross subway people.

Whatjuliansaid likes this.
  2. John Lopiano

aka Broken Parachute Moderator

Been a part of this AP/Chorus community for 11 years and with all of the New York people who post here, I've only run into them in person twice.

I ran into Orlando at a Kevin Devine show in Brooklyn back in like 2009. And then literally last week at a Rangers hockey game, I ran into Jaime, Dennis and Tim from the Sports forum. You would think it would happen more often. It might now though since I'm transferring for work to the city in August.

3. Grapevine_Twine

It's a Chunky! Supporter

Probably moving to NYC soon to be closer to my girlfriend. I'm going to start applying for jobs soon. Any advice? (Relatively) cheap areas to live?

I'm a bit worried about the move financially. What's the key to living in the city affordably?

4. algae

Regular Prestigious

Live in Queens or the Bronx

5. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Queens is getting more expensive, but yeah.

6. algae

Regular Prestigious

Every where in this city is getting more expensive

7. Whatjuliansaid

News on once the clouds are gone. Prestigious

NYC in general is expensive, Woodside seems to he an interesting spot right now to check out.

8. algae

Regular Prestigious

9. St. Nate

That's my hood.

10. Whatjuliansaid

Well for awhile it was a pretty decent area that wasn't super overpriced and you're not too far from the city either. It might have changed more recently idk, all the friends I had there aren't friends anymore haha but it was a cool spot at one time not too long ago

11. algae

Regular Prestigious

What do you mean by "decent area?" I've lived in Queens my whole life, I'm starting to see some more obviously not from New York people pop up. I'm trying to figure out a common thread in the places they're popping up

12. John Lopiano

13. TSLROCKS

Trusted Supporter

Best pizza places in NY? Lived here my entire life and still haven't found truly great pizza in NYC (though to be fair I haven't tried that hard)

Also - any recs on steakhouses?

I'm personally looking to move out fairly soon as well but was more looking at Jersey just outside NYC for now

14. John Lopiano

Depends on the type of pizza you want and where you are in NYC. There are a few local places in Brooklyn that aren't necessarily 'famous' in any sense that I grew up eating that are absolutely phenomenal for the thick Brooklyn style and then some that you'll probably find on a top 10 list somewhere (La Sorrentina in Dyker Heights; Krispy Pizza in Bensonhurst; L&B in Gravesend; Lucali's in Carroll Gardens). On Staten Island, we have two or three really great places if you like thin pizza (Denino's in Port Richmond; Brother's in Port Richmond; Lee's Tavern in Dongan Hills; Joe and Pat's in Castleton Corners). In Manhattan, I usually prefer Artichoke's on East 14th St. And even though people say it's overrated, I love John's Pizza on Bleecker St. Joe's Pizza on Carmine St. is also fantastic.

I really, really love pizza, haha. I'll admit though that I'm a novice when it comes to pizza in Queens and the Bronx. I don't venture out that way too much.

TSLROCKS likes this.
  15. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Lando gets around. Lol. I've run into him in some odd places.

How have we never had a run in?

16. John Lopiano

Crazy we haven't considering I also lived in Jersey for four years during college.

17. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

I live on Long Island, but am in the city just about every weekend at this point. Will probably move in the next year/year and and half.

18. Miss Heartcore

Let's build something Together Prestigious

Did we ever end up meeting? I feel like yes, but I can't remember now.

19. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

moved to Brooklyn about a year ago after making a 2ish hour commute one way for a year. dealing with absurdly high rent is worth the now 20 minute commute I take in to Manhattan.

anyone going to any upcoming shows?

20. Whatjuliansaid

I'm trying to save some $ does anyone know of any ways I can cut corners on wifi? Cable is superrrr expensive ugh

21. St. Nate

@sean_rugy I'm going to the upcoming Julien Baker and Mitski dates and that's it so far.

22. sean_rugy

my roommate and I purchased a decent indoor antenna that allows us to get ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX. with a decent WiFi network, Apple TV, and Xbox One we pretty much have our bases covered. I have no need to go back to cable really.

23. Whatjuliansaid

I'm trying to cut cable completely but first I need to find a way to get stable wifi. I see a lot of people here don't have cable so I figured they might know how to get good, cheap wifi. I'll look into this antenna, appreciate it :-):thumbup:

24. sean_rugy

@St. Nate very nice. I've got the IIOI show coming up, Julien Baker, Basement... and I feel like I'm missing one

St. Nate likes this.
  25. sean_rugy

unfortunately, you are pretty much stuck with Time Warner Cable for internet in most neighborhoods. atleast that's what everyone I've talked to has said.