Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

New York City Thread Location • Page 17

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Whatjuliansaid, Apr 7, 2016.

1. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

I’m definitely going back to Peculiar Pub next time I visit. I somehow managed to overlook their huge beer selection last time I was there.

h8bit likes this.
  2. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

Visiting for real for the first time ever during thanksgiving. We’re staying with my boyfriend’s godparents on the upper west side. Does anyone have any cool bar / food recommendations for that area? I have literally no clue about any of it.

3. polyfilla

who can never be sure

Hungarian Pastry Shop!

PeacefulOrca likes this.
  4. Grapevine_Twine

It's a Chunky! Supporter

Jacob’s Pickles! Great restaurant. If you’re a meat eater, Dinosaur BBQ is the best on 125th.

Good bars are The Dead Poet and Jake’s Dilemma.

I always recommend Absolute Bagels because they’re the best bagels I’ve had in NYC, but I think they might’ve shut down because of health violations haha

5. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

Streetbird Rotisserie is always good.

6. scroopy.noopers

: (

i went up to greenpoint for the first time over the weekend and tried to imagine what its like to be able to afford living there. shit is crazy. however, i did stop into a random dive bar on the williamsburg border which had $4 drafts all day. the only catch is you have to put up with old eastern european regulars who are generally obnoxious, sexist, racist, and like to clap along to every euro dance track they play on the jukebox.

summertimejesus likes this.
  7. sean_rugy

I hate Spectrum with every fiber of my being.

St. Nate and summertimejesus like this.
  8. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Just moved back after 6 years away from NYC and am hitting my 3rd show of the week tomorrow night (Converge, LCD Soundsystem, Jeff Rosenstock). Ultimate perk.

summertimejesus and polyfilla like this.
  9. scroopy.noopers

who's in town? i got weed and alcohol with no one to share it with

10. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Heading to NYC next week. Hitting up the Comedy Cellar in the West Village. Anyone recommend any sweet bars to hit up? Or brunch spots for the next day??

11. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

What kind of bars are you into?

12. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Into craft beers/wine. Nothing crazy, laid back but cool atmosphere.

13. fastlife

Regular Supporter

Close by Comedy Cellar there’s Peculier Pub that has a crazy beer selection, gets kind of crowded sometimes though. Also a Belgian beer place called Vol de Nuit that’s pretty laid back, but more expensive.

SEANoftheDEAD likes this.
  14. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Blind Tiger in the area is gonna have a ton of beers for ya then. Half Pint a good option too, very cozy for winter.

15. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Awesome, thanks for the rec!

16. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

This is perfect. I know its going to be freezing so it'll be nice to wander over to those bars after the Cellar. Thanks!

17. fyebes Jan 11, 2018
    (Last edited: Jan 12, 2018)
    fyebes

Regular Prestigious

this upcoming summer will be my last summer for my grad program and I'll be living up in New York for three weeks. I haven't gone to a show the last two summers so I want to make that happen this year. any recommendations on what venues to check out?

18. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

On any given night in NYC, there can be upwards of 3 or 4 shows I want to see. It's an absolute embarrassment of riches.

For this scene of music you'd probably be looking at people playing at these venues: Manhattan (Irving Plaza, Bowery Ballroom, Terminal 5) and Brooklyn (Baby's All Right, Brooklyn Steel, Music Hall of Williamsburg). Since it's summer, you will also have options at Central Park SummerStage (meh as a venue) or the Prospect Park Bandshell (amazing venue).

If you can get to a show at Madison Square Garden, that's a must.

I would probably say my favorite venue is Brooklyn Bowl, personally.

19. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I'd look here for a list of concerts

https://www.pollstar.com/city/new-york-40785

My favorite venues are probably Town Hall And the Bell House

mercury likes this.
  20. fastlife

Regular Supporter

Along with the recs above, ohmyrockness is also a really good site for shows going on around town.

21. sean_rugy

BrooklynVegan posts about what's going on every night of the week.

AdHoc also reps a lot of the smaller DIY/indie shows out of Brooklyn.

mercury and Grapevine_Twine like this.
  22. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

thank you so much everybody!

23. scroopy.noopers

after 3 months of being bed bug free, i found 2 in the past day. reported it to our landlord and she said she isn't paying for anything because we brought them into the apartment. i'm trying to figure out if we can break the lease or not pay if she doesn't do anything.

24. scroopy.noopers

Just moved to Crown Heights today ✌

25. sean_rugy

I guess this is the end of the bed bug saga? That's gotta feel great.