Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

New York City Thread Location • Page 16

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Whatjuliansaid, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Whatjuliansaid

News on once the clouds are gone. Prestigious

Housing court, go there and they should have a free lnt lawyer , report it to hpd and 311

scroopy.noopers likes this.
  2. scroopy.noopers

: (

Thanks! I'm definitely going to keep this in mind and use it if we have to. The landlord just sent me a text saying she got it and is sorry for the confusion, I think. Her texts are weird and talking on the phone isn't any better; she's old and I don't think she's all there.

Whatjuliansaid likes this.
  3. Iain

Regular

Heading to NY in October. Any tips? Bought tix to see New York Rangers V Pitsburgh Penguins, Pete Coreale at Gotham, and Brand New.

Whatjuliansaid likes this.
  4. scroopy.noopers

Be hungry; yelp is your friend.

5. scroopy.noopers

Anyone got experience with bed bugs? I found and killed one last week and have been throwing away stuff every other day only to wake up with more bites. Our bed already has a bed bug cover too. There have also been mosquitos terrorizing our place too, so idk if I should just accept I live in hell right now.

6. brigid

is this thing on Prestigious

yeah, throwing stuff out isn't going to solve your problem - you need to figure out where they're coming from first and foremost. if you see any more live bugs put one or two in a ziplock so you have proof for the landlord/exterminators/HPD if need be. landlords are legally required to send exterminators for bed bugs in new york state, so you should call yours. do you live in a big apartment building or a smaller building (two family house or something)? we had them in a 5 floor attached apartment building (they were in the building when we moved in and the landlord didn't disclose this info to us when we signed the lease which is illegal in NY state, we got out of our lease eventually with this info and fumigated all our belongings and got rid of our cheap ikea furniture and escaped the situation essentially). fumigation is the best way to kill them followed by heat treatment, they're really good at avoiding sprays and stuff - which sucks and means it's really hard to actually get rid of them lots of the time especially if you're in a big building like we were where there's no way the landlord is gonna fumigate the whole thing

they're attracted to the CO2 in your breath and need to feed to lay eggs and mature fully, which is why they're usually living around bedding. they like natural fibers (think clothes and wood) but can't really walk on plastic. i'd get these Amazon.com: Customer reviews: Bed Bug ClimbUp Interceptors (pack of 12) passive traps for bed legs to try and figure out if they're coming in and out of your bed. you can kill bed bugs and eggs with heat, so it's a good call to run all your clothes/bedding through the dryer for 30minutes(ish) and then keep them stored in sealed plastic bins (weathertight is best, this is what me and my roommate did) or bags until the situation is more stabilized so they can't nest in your clothing. create a "safe zone" of your bed by isolating it away from walls and try to not wear clothes you wear outside to bed/vice versa so you reduce risk of bringing them to other parts of the house/outside the apartment.

tbh i was pretty scarred by the experience and it sucks and i wish you the best of luck. this forum Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums helped a lot but also allowed me to obsessively research everything/not be able to think about much else while the ordeal was happening, lots of useful info on there though

scroopy.noopers and mercury like this.
  7. scroopy.noopers

Thanks! I had a feeling someone here would have experience. Me and my partner did the laundry, put the clean clothes in a vacuumed sealed bag, moved the bed away from the walls, vacuumed every inch of the apt. We also have a bedbug protector on our mattress. Our building only has four units, so its not very big. Its driving me crazy not knowing where they could come from. I did ziplock the one bug I killed, but I don't know how to prove if its something we brought back or if they're in the building.

8. brigid Sep 22, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 22, 2017)
    brigid

is this thing on Prestigious

if you have the one bug it should be enough to get your landlord to send an exterminator! you can contact HPD to have them do a bed bug inspection (sometimes they use one of the bed bug sniffing dogs)/hire a service yourself to do this to try and figure out where in your unit they might be nesting. regardless of whether you brought them in yourself they're probably living there now if you've seen multiple. if you work office jobs and sit at a desk all day you could check out around your chair/office space (this is pretty unlikely imo but apparently happens sometimes) they could be coming from another coworker. it's worth talking to your neighbors to see if they've seen anything either because they could also easily come into your apartment from another unit. and if it is a small building then maybe it could be fumigated/heat treated successfully! sending you good luck vibes

9. Whatjuliansaid

Looking at this thread just put me in a state, it's absolutely terrifying. I still alcohol pad stuff I wear out and do the laundry constantly because of the time I had it years and years ago. If you need any advice though, ask. I know a shit load about that stuff.
    Pouring one out for you scoopy noopers.

10. scroopy.noopers

We just had a canine inspection and they found a scent in our baseboards of a wall that our bedroom and living room share. On the upside, all of our clothes and furniture were alright; they just suspect a small infestation in that wall, and the origin could be in another unit. I really don't want to move, but if this doesn't get resolved, I'm hoping we can break our lease. Our landlord has been shitty about everything else, so I imagine this situation won't be any different -_-

11. Whatjuliansaid

Did you report it like I said? Landlords definitely don't want to constantly be fined, trust me.

Also, never had a canine inspection. I probably could've avoided washing my entire wardrobe but at least there was a ton of stuff I ended up donating to people who needed it.

12. scroopy.noopers

I let the landlord know what was happening, and she still has not responded. In the meantime, I wiped down the wood slats of our bedframe with alcohol and put traps on the legs too. I found another bug last night in our living room sometime after it bit me. I just don't understand how our landlord can see a text that essentially reads "we found bedbugs and suspect they're coming from another unit" and get 0 response at all.

13. Whatjuliansaid

I mean to report it to 311 and hpd and contact a BAR association free lawyer. Do all those things. It's really the only way he'll do anything. The landlord dgaf because he only cares about money, he's probably hoping you move out and break the lease and have to keep paying him while he fixes it and someone else moves in so he's making twice as much. You have to report him for neglect. He is responsible to fix it.

14. scroopy.noopers

For sure. I'm gonna give the landlord a call later today as one last shot to establish communication about the issue, before making a formal report.

15. Whatjuliansaid

If I knew ahead of time I could've asked my old drummer, sigh

16. scroopy.noopers

Just about finished bagging nearly everything in our apartment for the exterminators tomorrow -_-

I wish I could feel the souls or essences of each bug dying while I'm in class; I hate them so much.

17. DeRRek

Trusted

One week today until my girlfriend and I leave Scotland for New York. Can wait! First thing we are doing when we get there, NYR VS NYI at MSG. Not a bad start to the trip.

18. mercury

modern-day offspring fanatic Supporter

Anyone have suggestions on tattoo shops that do Friday the 13th specials in the north Brooklyn area?

DeRRek likes this.
  19. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

they're not your usual $13 piece but 3 Kings in Greenpoint are doing a flash sale benefiting Puerto Rico, Joseph Madden is top notch.

mercury likes this.
  20. mercury

ohhhh ty I'm on my way to Armageddon at the moment but if their line's too long I'll check em out. I def don't mind paying more than the $13 if it's for a good cause :)

sean_rugy likes this.
  21. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

nice, let me know what the line is like there!

22. mercury

Long enough that I'm not waiting in it! There's not a list there, it's just first come first served.

Might be headed up to 3 kings, but I gotta sell a couple friends on it first.

23. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Hope everyone here is safe.

polyfilla and sean_rugy like this.
  24. John Lopiano

aka Broken Parachute Moderator

That shooting took place like blocks from where I work. I was out of work today but hearing the news made my stomach drop. My dad works in SoHo, thankfully he was alright... but it took him hours to get home on the bus.

mercury likes this.
  25. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

My wife wants to head to Manhattan for her 30th bday. We usually go to NYC once or twice a year and have been to a majority of the fun spots to hangout and all.

Any recommendations on awesome stuff to do on a birthday up there? Or really cool places to hangout?

Thinking of hitting dinner somewhere, then hitting up the Comedy Cellar in the Village, then bar hopping somewhere. Would Greenwich village be good for bar hopping? Or somewhere else?