Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

New York City Thread Location • Page 15

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Whatjuliansaid, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Grapevine_Twine

It's a Chunky! Supporter

Anyone live in Crown Heights? Moving there from Bushwick on September 1!

2. scroopy.noopers

: (

i live on the border between that and bed-stuy on fulton.

Grapevine_Twine and h8bit like this.
  3. polyfilla

who can never be sure

hello new neighbor

Grapevine_Twine likes this.
  4. Grapevine_Twine

It's a Chunky! Supporter

Awesome! I'll be living on Sterling & Franklin. Any restaurant recs?

5. mercury

modern-day offspring fanatic Supporter

not anymore (moved from there to Bushwick lol), but I used to live on Bedford & Carroll! There's a burrito place on Franklin just north of Eastern Parkway that's amazing - I can't remember the name. Also the Pulp & Bean across the street has great bagels/good coffee. If you're into Vietnamese, Bahnmigos is great, and Pearl Indian is fantastic too (i ordered a lot of takeout when I lived there!).

Man I miss that area. Went back a month or two ago and there were a TON more options than when I was there, so have fun!!

6. h8bit

@ghastlyfeline Prestigious

I used to live there! Great neighborhood. LMK if you have any questions or need some good recs for food/coffee/drinks.

7. h8bit

Might be fun to do a chorus.fm meet up in the area sometime. Is that a thing people would be interested in?

8. polyfilla

who can never be sure

@Grapevine_Twine my faves are all on Franklin - Chavela's (pretty authentic Mexican food), Barboncino's (gourmet pizza), Crown Inn (bar with a decent selection of drafts and even better playlists). Catfish on Bedford is good for Cajun-style food as well! Bunsmith for buns & bowls...the list goes on...

9. h8bit

Catfish and Chevela's are so good.

polyfilla likes this.
  10. Grapevine_Twine

It's a Chunky! Supporter

I have heard great things about Barboncino's. I need to go there ASAP

mercury likes this.
  11. Grapevine_Twine

It's a Chunky! Supporter

Thanks for the recommendations! Excited to try out Bahnmingos.

Where are you in Bushwick? I live across the street from Maria Hernandez Park currently and it's going to be so hard moving away

h8bit likes this.
  12. mercury

modern-day offspring fanatic Supporter

I go running at Maria Hernandez a lot! I'm maybe a mile or so south of there, off the Gates J stop. Totally feel you on moving away... I'm excited to not be moving for the first time in like 8 years.

You're going to a good neighborhood, though! With the 2/3/4/5 so close it's one of the most convenient places in brooklyn imo.

13. scroopy.noopers

super power is a lotta fun

14. polyfilla

who can never be sure

oh and how could I forget Friends and Lovers? more Prospect Heights than Crown Heights but def within walking distance

scroopy.noopers likes this.
  15. Anyone happen to follow hotel prices for NYC (walking distance from MSG) and know what they do closer to check-in day? I'm going up for a Thursday night in October and over the past month, prices have stayed pretty flat. Not sure if they will eventually rise or fall, but I was expecting some movement. Thanks.

16. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

I doubt they'll fluctuate much for that time of year on a non weekend night. Expect it to start rising about three weeks before your date.

I thought you lived in NYC?

17. I grew up on Long Island, but haven't lived in NY in 16 years... but, thanks, I'll probably purchase soon to avoid that price hike.

Richter915 likes this.
  18. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

A little self promotion but come to the Indonesian Street Festival and hang with your favorite chorus.fm member.

19. Whatjuliansaid Sep 2, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 2, 2017)
    Whatjuliansaid

News on once the clouds are gone. Prestigious

Any list of places to go for people with bad zoning yet? I'm scared af, the last hurricane was awful but I feel like this might be worse. At least last time I had friends I could stay with during that time, not friends with those A-holes anymore. Having pets during these times is also the worst, like I need somewhere to bring a litter box and stuff.

20. scroopy.noopers

City probably won't really say anything until a few days before like with Sandy. Even it doesn't hit us as a full hurricane, I'm not looking forward yo the shit is gonna still cause

21. I'm visiting the city in October with a couple friends but we're only there for a friday and saturday, where would you all recommend we stay? Ideally there'd be a good amount of fun (but relatively cheap) stuff to do at night/explore. We might do a couple touristy things, still have to figure out exactly what we want to do. We're seeing Bruce on Broadway the Saturday night and heading to Jersey to see Against Me! on Sunday. I think we're going to take the Sea Streak ferry to get to Asbury for that.

We all love music and comedy, so if anyone has recommendations for stuff to check out while we're there we'd love recommendations! It's just a little daunting trying to decide where the best spots to stay would be all while not trying to spend a fortune. Any help is appreciated!

22. h8bit

When I had some friends visit a few years ago we booked tickets to see the 12:30am show at the Comedy Cellar and it was really fantastic. Chris Rock showed up out of the blue which was a treat and all the other comics were fantastic. I'd bring cash for the drink minimum though.

Whatjuliansaid likes this.
  23. That's one of the things we've been looking into doing some I'm glad to hear it was worth it!

24. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

East village/ lower East side is the most fun area, I have no clue about hotel/hostel whatever prices

25. scroopy.noopers

Since this city has a terrible hisotry with landlord-tenant relationships, maybe someone here can help me out.

Me and my partner signed a lease in April. There is an address in the lease that we are supposed to send rent checks to. We used that to send our May rent, and the landlord told us that address is no longer being used, and that we could either transfer the money straight to her account or send it to a PO box. We tried the transfer for June and there are fees of course, and it could take up to a week. Even though we sent it at the end of the month, the landlord didn't get it until the 4th and wanted to charge us a late fee. I brought up the issue with the delay and also our lease says we have until the 5th until we are considered late. We did the transfer again for July and she STILL was getting on us about not having the money on the 1st. So we said, fine, we'll avoid the transfer fees and just send a check to the PO box, and she'll get her money on or before the 1st. Well, a week into August, she says she never got a check from us. I checked our mailbox, and we didn't get anything returned. I COPIED and PASTED the PO box address from her original text message, and asked her if that is the correct address, and she said it was. Didn't hear from her for the rest of month. Did the same thing for September, and she is claiming she didn't get a check for August or September yet, and there will be a late fee. My partner took a picture of the envelope before she sent it out to show it existed, and sent it to her asking AGAIN if that is the right address.

The landlord has not responded yet, but does anyone know if she can legally charge us a late fee, even thought we've been actively trying to pay her? It all sounds really sketchy, and depending on her response to the picture, I'm going to tell her that we're only sending checks to the address listed on our lease unless we get some sort of paperwork that confirms a new address.