Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

New York City Thread Location • Page 14

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Whatjuliansaid, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Grapevine_Twine

It's a Chunky! Supporter

I've had a similar thought literally every day I've lived here

polyfilla and muttley like this.
  2. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

It's been 2 days and I'm still thinking about it. Loved being in the middle of it all.

3. h8bit

@ghastlyfeline Prestigious

It took me so long to get to this point. A lot of it was due to external circumstances that made it hard to appreciate living here but I've come around within the past year and it feels really nice.

4. scroopy.noopers

: (

idk what u guys see in this place tbh. i mean, i hated this city when i first moved here and it took me a solid year to finally like it enough to make it my home but its still an overrated giant dumpster from the 1970s. i gotta keep my fingers crossed on the A C everyday that it doesn't derail/shutdown, and walk thru an apocolyptic-scene of overflowing trashcans and garbage littered streets and sidewalks to get there.

fun place, but overpriced and depressing.

5. Grapevine_Twine

It's a Chunky! Supporter

It might be time for you to move

muttley and h8bit like this.
  6. scroopy.noopers

7. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

I agree the cons of NYC are abrasive, but I think the tradeoff that you can walk outside and eat any type of food, drink any type of drink, go see a show or band every single night or hit up any kind of museum or art you can imagine...no other city has it to the degree NYC does.

Full disclosure: not currently living in NYC. Do work here.

8. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

This city is okay.

scroopy.noopers likes this.
  9. Grapevine_Twine

It's a Chunky! Supporter

I've only been here for a year, so maybe I'm still in my honeymoon phase. But the feeling I get just walking through my neighborhood- the culture, the diversity, the art, the music- outweighs any smell of trash

I just hate almost stepping on rats

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  10. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Still in suburbs but
    There's just so much to do and I know it, like I know to avoid Times Square

The subway system falling apart is hurting the biggest advantage

Grapevine_Twine likes this.
  11. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

I wish NYC copied Chicago and just hid all the trash in alleyways...

12. Grapevine_Twine

It's a Chunky! Supporter

I went to Guy Fieri's restaurant on 44th last night. It was a nightmare. I hate Times Square more than anything

13. scroopy.noopers

you can find that in any of the top 3 major cities. i get it tho, with 8m ppl theres just more of it, but i don't see that being a pro when rent is outrageous and transportation is unreliable. its hard to enjoy what nyc has to offer with those cons in mind. i'm sure for ppl who make a livable wage, those cons aren't so bad, but a lot of ppl here don't make that

mercury, h8bit, Drewski and 1 other person like this.
  14. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

You actually ate there? I hope it was ironically

Whatjuliansaid likes this.
  15. Grapevine_Twine

It's a Chunky! Supporter

Don't worry, it was ironically. Totally not worth it though.

16. h8bit

@ghastlyfeline Prestigious

I'm still here because moving is fucking expensive and it's relatively close to Western NY where my parents are.

17. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

Live in Brooklyn. It's not cheaper but I think the quality of everyday life is much more enjoyable.

h8bit and Grapevine_Twine like this.
  18. muttley

I don't live there, but I found exactly what I was looking for in New York and loved every minute of it. There are so many different cultures living in the same city. You can basically travel the world and be home for dinner. I saw plenty of mice and garbage, got stuck weaving through the horrendous crowds in Times Square, sweat my ass off waiting for trains, all of which was expected and taken with a grain of salt. It was all part of the experience.

19. polyfilla

who can never be sure

i love my trash city

20. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

21. scroopy.noopers

The trash mayor thinks a reduced MTA fair is a step forward in improving the crumbling transit system

22. muttley

Ah, so more passengers because it's more affordable and less money coming in to maintain and improve the system. Makes perfect sense!

sean_rugy likes this.
  23. Whatjuliansaid

News on once the clouds are gone. Prestigious

It should be cheaper but it's up to cuomo whether to fix the system (and allocate money to the budget) or not. Also de blasio wants to tax the rich to help fix the mta which is awesome, should happen in general though but pushing all blame to him alone is a little silly.

sean_rugy likes this.
  24. polyfilla

who can never be sure

25. scroopy.noopers

i read another article that said about half the tax money will go to fixing the actual tracks and updating cars, so idk what to believe anymore. i'd love a reduced monthly fair but i'd rather the physical system itself get fixed first. then maybe work toward making it free cuz that'd help a lot

h8bit likes this.