Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

New York City Thread Location • Page 10

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Whatjuliansaid, Apr 7, 2016.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I've only done individual ticketed shows for Northside and never had an issue

2. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

i have a conference in boston monday to wednesday and the fest starts thursday, so i was thinking in just popping down for the whole thing rather than coming home. none of my friends have given me hard confirmations that i can stay with them though, so i'm worried that my plans will just all fall apart and things will be a mess for me, hah

feel like i could make the badge worth it if i got it assuming i have people to go around with

3. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

for the show at McCarren it's first come first serve with an RSVP. it's on a huge blacktop area and you shouldn't have an issue getting in, especially if you want to see the whole show. I saw Against Me! and Mitski play a couple years back and it was incredible.

mercury and Whatjuliansaid like this.
  4. mercury

modern-day offspring fanatic Supporter

weirdly enough i'm in the opposite boat - i have friends that may or may not be coming to stay with me, and if not i have a weekend free and would buy the badge in a second! but they haven't let me know if they'll be around or not, and if they are they definitely wouldn't be into the festival, haha.

Oh cool, thanks! I've been to McCarren a bunch but never for a show, and wasn't sure if it was a "you have a pretty good chance of getting in" or a "line up twelve hours before for a shot" kind of deal.

sean_rugy likes this.
  5. sean_rugy

yeah the only way I can see it being an issue, it at all, is if they have a weird capacity thing and it gets super packed as people show up for Thursday. it's not House of Vans haha the line for Converge last summer was INSANE.

I'm bummed I won't be around (sorry @cwhit). McCarren is pretty much my backyard and would have loved to get everyone together before the show :verysad:

6. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

eventually bud!!! will happen.

7. Didn't know you were this torn. Otherwise I would've pushed harder for us to get badges sooner!

mercury likes this.
  8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

9. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

I give you NYC peeps credit. The city is amazing but gives me massive anxiety. The only place I'm really familiar with is Smiths Bar.

10. mercury

This thread is what reminded me to check my calendar...I would've bought a badge months ago if not for some friends maybe being in town, which I also totally forgot about until yesterday haha.

11. Whatjuliansaid

News on once the clouds are gone. Prestigious

Boooooo

I've only been a handful of times, I don't go to movies much but it was always a nice place. I always would pass it on the way to mercury lounge, I saw the runaways movie there... good times. Hopefully mark Cuban buys it or whatever. They just never had a lot of movies playing there, otherwise I may have went more.

12. Whatjuliansaid

I get anxiety allll the time, I try to stay away from the city as much as I can

ChrisCantWrite likes this.
  13. Whatjuliansaid

I saw converge at hov the first time they played with touché, I almost didn't get in. It was crazy. Hopefully all can get in to Thursday.

Wait, aren't you that English guy from ap?

14. Whatjuliansaid

Why are New Yorkers the only people who seem to be able to admit where they come from sucks or at least has a lot of flaws? Any time I criticize jersey, philly, almost any other place; I get like giant ball of spit on my face from the person from there (figuratively). I'll be the first to admit it sucks here but I should be allowed to say I'm not a fan of the place you're from without you flipping out on me. Not everyone likes every place.

15. sean_rugy

nope not the English guy from AP haha just a regular dude living in Brooklyn.

and Philly may be the worst offenders of "city pride". I may be biased though because my brother is living there...

16. Whatjuliansaid

Fair enough, there was a guy from here that was originally from the U.K. Who threw a few DIY shows every so often and would post about them here so I thought it may be you.

I've seen both and others, this girl I know just tried to bait me into a fight about Philly and I had to filibuster the conversation haha what a weird way to try to beef with someone. I've just never, ever had a good time there so I'm bias but it's my opinion and it's okay not to like a place. I had to pull the "everyone is different and doesn't like the same things" to avoid saying I'm not a fan.

It started because I mentioned a lot of people from here have been moving there the last few years, mostly because it's cheaper.

17. polyfilla

who can never be sure

i love my swamp. greatest city in the world :heart::heart::heart:

18. Whatjuliansaid

Are you actually from here though or are you a transplant?

At least you called it what it is

19. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Are there any non transplants?

20. polyfilla

who can never be sure

I grew up in an NYC suburb

21. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Technically I'm a Jersey transplant born in Queens who works in the city.

22. Whatjuliansaid

Well yea... idk how people can afford it still, I've been planning to move for forever haha

Why do people purposely move to the city? That's the weirdest phenomenom

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  23. Whatjuliansaid

24. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Well I haven't moved yet from the island but the reason is I prefer public transportation and there's always stuff to do even if it's overpriced overcrowded etc

sean_rugy, mercury and Whatjuliansaid like this.
  25. mercury

Idk I did it and it didn't feel weird at all, but I grew up in a really rural area that I hated cause I thought it was boring. Lived on LI for college and a little bit after, but my job was in the city and the commute sucked. I have this like sick obsession with public transit, too, I think NY's subway system is the coolest thing ever. plus the amount of options for pretty much everything is unreal, especially in comparison to what I grew up with lol.

I get shit on a lot from my family/hometown people for it, which pisses me off. I don't come home and complain about my hometown out of respect for the people who enjoy living there, so it's always a lil confusing when people come at me for actually liking living in the city.

sean_rugy and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.