Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

New Study Warns Over 1 Billion Young People at Risk of Hearing Loss

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 17, 2022.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

From a new study on the risk of hearing loss due to unsafe music exposure:

Unsafe listening practices are highly prevalent worldwide and may place over 1 billion young people at risk of hearing loss. There is an urgent need to prioritise policy focused on safe listening. The World Health Organization provides comprehensive materials to aid in policy development and implementation.

more

Not all embedded content is displayed here. You can view the original to see embedded videos, tweets, etc.

2. paythetab

Chorus.FM Album Reviewer (Adam Grundy) Supporter

imsorrywhat.gif
    Frightening!

Music is FUNdamental likes this.
  3. theredline

Trusted Supporter

My 14 year old daughter hardly ever takes off her headphones when not in school. And sometimes the bleed is so loud! I am constantly concerned and now more so!

4. rxbandit89

probably over-caffeinated. Supporter

I've had ringing in my ears from tinnitus for a few years now. I try to be careful with volume levels when listening to music, and I now wear ear plugs at shows, but I'm definitely worried that the damage has already been done.

5. Allthegiganticthings

Regular

We need to normalize ear plugs at concerts too. They should be handed out for free at the door.

6. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

I've had tinnitus for 5 years now most likely due to playing in a band for years and going to shows without wearing earplugs.

I use eargasm earplugs at every concert I go to now and they've been a game changer. HIGHLY recommend protecting those ears. Tinnitus sucks.

Orla and Chase Tremaine like this.
  7. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

I've worn earplugs at every show but one for the last 17 years and I still have some hearing damage. It's bad, folks! Protect your ears!

8. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Branded ear trumpets bout to be hitting merch stores all over. I'm hear for it.

9. deadpatch

I already have hearing damage from growing up playing music and going to shows so I always carry ear plugs with me even just for loud everyday environments. Its really disheartening how many weird looks/comments I've received over the years for wearing them in places like the subway or sporting events. People just don't understand how loud the world is these days.

10. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

True that. Sometimes I throw my airpods in with noise cancelling on just to quiet things down.

11. Fletchaaa

Trusted Supporter

Obviously you want to protect your ears but doesn't it take away from the enjoyment from the show if you're wearing earplugs? I've never actually tried but I do go to a lot of music shows so I'm curious

12. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

No and in some cases I can actually hear the mix clearer.

I have a pair of "tiered" earplugs with like three ridges, so I have three options: all the way in at super loud shows, halfway at decent shows, or a third in if I'm outdoors.

13. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

If you get like cheap foam ones then yes, but if you get the modern kind - Eargasm, as someone mentioned, is a good brand and what I use - I think the shows usually sound better. The only issue is if you're really getting into it they can potentially fall out, but it's not a huge problem.

Fletchaaa likes this.
  14. Raku

Regular

No, when I went to my first (and so far only) rock concert back in 2011 to see blink-182 during their Honda Civic tour. I was able to enjoy the show, and not have any pain afterwards. In fact the ear protection I got was not only comfortable, but I didn't really feel it after awhile after putting them in.

Sadly though, I lost them (misplaced them somewhere in my desk area) so I don't have the option of using them again unless I find them or just buy a new pair.

Yeah, the ones I got back in 2011 were built like EarBuds... Don't remember the brand though.

Elder Lightning and Fletchaaa like this.
  15. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Ya I'm afraid for myself. I've resisted earplugs cus the foam ones were so dirsuptive to my enjoyment that I couldn't handle them but I've been thinking of eargasm ones for a while or even custom ones. Think this might be my catalyst. I also get a little doomy about it and think the damage is done, but that's really no reason to let the damage get even worse.

16. Fletchaaa

Trusted Supporter

I guess it won't hurt to try, I'll get a pair of the eargasm ones then

Elder Lightning likes this.
  17. WadeCastle

Trusted Supporter

One of my friends got diagnosed with tinnitus over a decade ago from going to shows

18. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

What?

19. I've always lived with tinnitus for some reason, which I got used to but makes calming down after anxiety or panic attacks harder (it also means I don't know what it's like to experience 100% quietness, I always hear some ringing which can be distracting), I can't recommend wearing earplugs enough. I work in a car manufactory, so in a very loud environment. Depending on the task and the loudness, I've even opted for noise cancelling headphones, like big site construction ones, over earplugs... and always got tons of looks for it. Earplugs are really a crucial item that should be made more available or more advertised.

20. elphshelf

100% made of farts Supporter

Nope! As another user said, I can hear the music more clearly. I use silicone earplugs meant for swimming, which is more comfortable and provides around 10db more sound reduction than foam ones.

21. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

Link please? Those sound great.

Wife has awful tinnitus. I’m getting there from a decade of max volume on iPods and hundreds of shows. Haven’t been to a show since 2014 without foam plugs but it feels like the train has sailed already. Just trying to limit the damage.

22. rbf737

Regular

I've got a bit of tinnitus after a mishap at work one day a few years ago. I've always worn earplugs to the hundreds of shows I've been to over the years, though and bring them for anyone I go with. Ha I always look around for them and typically at most see maybe 2-3 other people with earplugs.

23. ballroomtrance

Regular

I’ve had tinnitus for 5 years now. At first I believed it was solely from not using proper ear protection at shows, but then I discovered that the anti depressant I had been using had tinnitus as a common side effect… so I’m thinking it’s a combination of both.

24. elphshelf

100% made of farts Supporter

fredwordsmith likes this.
  25. Neon Light

rage and love

I went to heaps of shows between 2013-2016 and never wore earplugs. I then moved to Israel where there weren't really any shows I wanted to go to so I've given my ears a good break but people I worked with often told me it seemed like I had a hearing problem.

I always kind of enjoyed the ringing sensation after a show as it was a reminder of how good it was, but now that I've moved back to Australia and am about to get back into going to shows, I might have to invest in some earplugs.

artbynickferran likes this.