Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

New Found Glory Oral History • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Kuri44

it’s okay to have a least favorite NFG record, but to say they have a bad album is absurd.

carrytheweird and DickyCullz like this.
  2. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

The spots where they overcorrected are really painfully obvious and resulted in some of their worst material. They did it after Coming Home and went all tough-guy-breakdown pop-punk that was just not really interesting and pretty by-the-numbers.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  3. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

Where was there anything said that they were complicit in what he did or even aware of it? The band has been pretty outspoken against what happened and I never came across anything indicating such things. Also pretty sure Jordan and Steve didn't get along all that well as indicated by his lyrics after Steve's departure.

4. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

Except they never went tough guy and Chad, the lead guitarist, has been heavily involved in hardcore music for as long as he has been in NFG. Him having heavier influences in his writing is not a surprise and Catalyst had indications of this sound too. The band has constantly and consistently expanded their sound, and were panned for it every step of the way, yet are still here, still touring 50% of the year and still keeping to their roots while bringing new stuff to the table. The ep's are great, i'm always impressed that Chad finds new riffs despite never losing their sound. Jordan still holds up his vocals in the same manner he always has. This is a really fun and honest band that I think deserves more credit than they get.

5. trevorshmevor Nov 29, 2017
    (Last edited: Nov 29, 2017)
    Dude, they've straight up admitted -- in this interview, even -- that NWAF was aggressive for the sake of being aggressive due to the backlash they got for Coming Home. Their clear regression after trying to progress on albums like Coming Home and Radiosurgery isn't really even up for debate, it's just a known fact at this point. Ressurection and NWAF are shallow, phoned in attempts to appeal to fans of their "easycore" sound and it's a major hinderance to their career to do that every other album just because their fans don't react well when they actually try to push their sound (as seen with the shade on Makes Me Sick earlier in the thread).

6. kelseyleigh

Trusted Supporter

I would definitely be interested in hearing that.

7. TuneYouOut

Newbie Supporter

On this current tour they have a montage of clips through the years and there isn't even a slight glimpse of him. That editing is wild.

8. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

On another note, remember when Chad (along with the dudes in Good Charlotte) werethat terrible hybrid Hazen Street back around '04? Man, that was awful.

9. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

Dude, that's your opinion.

Just because they revisited a sound they were known for, and have had a few heavier breakdowns in songs doesn't negate the influence and popularity of their signature sound. Why the hell would they completely abandon that sound because they had two to three experimental releases out of what, 12 at this point? I don't find Resurrection or it's lyrical content shallow even remotely. Not Without A Fight is literally titled to say that they still had it. The niche and sound they were known for. And you're knocking them for it when that album was their return to popularity. Makes 0 sense.

10. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

Also, Makes Me Sick could just have the keyboards removed from it, and it would be a regular NFG record, just not nearly as good as previous releases. If they go and make an album that is better received, sells better, and all around sounds better because it falls more in line with their discography, are you gonna go knock them for that? Dumb.

11. No, my opinion is that they're bad albums. The albums being half-baked attempts to salvage their fans that had all but completely abandoned them for trying to make interesting career moves is a fact. Again -- this has been acknowledged by the band themselves many times.

lol I'm not arguing otherwise??

Yes, because it's bad. I don't care that it made them popular. That has no bearing on the quality of the music. All it means is they tried really hard to tread ground they'd already covered for the sake of staying relevant.

I don't care about how the records are received, how they sell, or how much it sounds like their older material. If the music sucks, then yes I am going to criticize them for it.

12. Also this is more effort than I care to expend talking about music that I don't like so agree to disagree I'm outta here don't @ me

13. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

Haha so again, your opinion is that the albums sucked when many don't believe they do, and you don't want to hear anyone else's opinion on an open forum for it. K.

14. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

I saw talk about it so kept an eye for it. All they did was square footage where he would have been In. Also helps he only really stayed on his side of the stage.

15. gbuffers

England.

Freddy and Hoya from Madball, Toby from H2O, David Kennedy from Box Car Racer and Mackie from Cro-Mags. Not sure which of those dudes were in Good Charlotte?

Although it wasn't a good album, I agree. With a line-up like that I should have liked it... but I didn't.

16. _unproductive

Regular

woah woah woah...

Sound the Alarm. great
    Under the Boards. great
    Daybreak. passable. can do without the 10+min song
    S/T. great

NFG tho
    Not Without a Fight. great
    Radiosurgery. garbage. maybe 2 decent songs.. maybe
    Resurrection. decent but feels empty probably cuz Chad slacked on writing 2 guitar parts
    Makes Me Sick. makes me sick sitting thru this album

I can really do without the covers.

17. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

wtf, Daybreak is the best song on Daybreak you animal

trevorshmevor likes this.
  18. gbuffers

England.

I agree. Love that song.

electro haikus likes this.
  19. Mister Lyrical

Forging Clarity Supporter

They were signed to Benji and Joel Madden's imprint, DC Flag, on Epic Records. They were pretty lame though.

20. LJ Rime

Regular

This is true, whether people want to believe it or not. Their albums after Coming Home are uninteresting because NFG wanted them to be uninteresting. They didn't want to alienate the pop punk kids even more. I've always thought that was pretty stupid of them. They were on such a different road in comparison to their peers, it's unfortunate they just decided to go backwards instead. And it's not like going backwards resulted in music on the level of their self-titled record. It's just really uninspiring.

youwontknow and trevorshmevor like this.
  21. ‘Makes Me Sick’ is their best album in decade.

22. Put out a great record this year.

23. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Wait wtf Saves the Day put out an album this year?

24. Mister Lyrical

Forging Clarity Supporter

New Found Glory put out a great record this year, Saves The Day didn't come out with anything.

25. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

NWAF -> Resurrection have some songs that are great live staples. Andddd that's about it. Those three albums don't stick with me like all of their other albums. Even NGCS