Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

New Found Glory - Forever and Ever x Infinity (June 19, 2020) Album • Page 20

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by zackotronic, Feb 9, 2020.

1. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

I'm mainly talking about pop-punk music. It's just a genre that really shouldn't have albums over 40 minutes. Almost all my favorites in the genre come under that time.

2. 333 GANG

ACAB

11 or 12 is almost always the sweet spot for me

3. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

With pop-punk, I find myself asking for more when there's 10 tracks or less. I almost always feel like there's something missing. I'd rather have more so there's more to work with. Plus, when it comes to some of my favorite bands here....I always want to hear an extra song or two. I am always going to go out of my way to check them out.

With the new Sum 41 and Jimmy Eat World albums I feel fulfilled because they delivered quality content lyrically and musically in the tracks they provided. I wasn't left asking for more. That's not the case for me with most bands in this genre. I'd rather have 11-15 shorter/leaned out songs with lyrical content that gets the point across without having to repeat itself. I'm not saying this new NFG album is that, bc it is absolutely not lol.

4. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Yellowcard records are usually around 47 minutes, and they are likely my favourite from the genre.

New Found Glory’s Coming Home is 48:11, plus if you add in all the bsides when you listen like I do it must be over an hour.

I really got no problem with a long pop punk record.

I get punk records not being as long, like 28-35 minutes give or take, but those songs are shorter because of speed of delivery of the songs. You can still put 14-15 songs on an album, and provide a variety.

Just my preference though.

5. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

I'm just gonna leave it at this but...

Coming Home isn't a pop-punk album

6. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

No band should have a 15 song album unless they're Napalm Death.

7. or every band I love. gimme all the songs.

.K. likes this.
  8. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

all i'm saying is that i'd rather have a 10-song, 30 minute album will minimal filler than a 15-song, 45 minute album with inevitable filler. further props if you can make a 20-25 minute album work. hardcore has probably ruined me in that regard.

bobby_runs likes this.
  9. tomdelonge

Trusted

long albums are the wrong albums*

*except the good ones

10. pbueddi

Trusted

This is going to sound dumb, but 11 often seems better to me than 10. 10 seems a tad short sometimes.

.K. and cbronder1 like this.
  11. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Most active bands seem to run an album cycle 2+ years.

I figure a nice album cycle is 12-16 songs.

That could mean all on an album, a couple of b-sides, a couple covers, alt versions, album with EP in advance or to follow, or whatever combination.

That’s about 6-8 songs a year. Which for an active band, seems entirely reasonable. I get circumstances can be different per band, but there are creative ways to record now, and more tools available.

12. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

How would you categorize it?

13. manoverboard365

Trusted

I'd call it pop-rock.

tomdelonge likes this.
  14. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I’d still call it pop punk, although with an emo influence if people are being picky.

15. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

It’s crazy how they have never really taken a break. Even when albums have taken a little longer to come out they still just tour non stop.

pbueddi and Colby Searcy like this.
  16. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

I was just thinking about that.

I can’t even remember exactly when it was, but I distinctly remember one time they posted that they were taking a “break” and cited exhaustion as being the main factor....then a month later they said “Wait nevermind. We got bored and decided to go back to the studio.”

Colby Searcy and .K. like this.
  17. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

Yeah that time popped into my head too. I think it was after the self titled 10 year tour. And then they immediately announced another tour or something

18. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

I'm pretty sure it was right after Radiosurgery came out

bobby_runs likes this.
  19. Heron182

Regular

I’m still curious what happened to Steve’s case! They were pretty crazy accusations I wonder if they settled and it got swept

20. HelloThisIsDog

Trusted

Same. It looks like they could've been dropped or settled but who knows

21. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Stay Awhile is probably the best thing here right?

Mrk_Brdshw likes this.
  22. pbueddi

Trusted

Off the top of my head, I'd also consider Nothing To Say and The Way You Deserve.

23. Shaun

cool dogs

i can't believe it's still nearly 3 months before we hear that one song that didn't leak

bobby_runs and pbueddi like this.
  24. pbueddi

Trusted

Maybe it will be the best song they have ever written!

Shaun likes this.
  25. Shaun

cool dogs

it'd be great now if it was the next single they put out

pbueddi likes this.