Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

New Found Glory – “Himalaya”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 11, 2020.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Probably the heaviest song they've made

3. thisisasong

“You’re sweeter than a birthday cake”

I’ll just reiterate my comment on the last few songs they released: I swear it’s like they had their kids get together to write the lyrics and name the album.

4. alexbrew

Just here for the comments

The melody/hooks are pretty sweet and has potential to be banger, but lyrically it doesn't match up at all.

falafelmywaffle and thisisasong like this.
  5. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

Yeah I was just thinking the same thing. Musically I like the new songs but the lyrics are definitely not what I expected.

falafelmywaffle and thisisasong like this.
  6. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Welp. They said it themselves. It's all downhill from here.

7. thisisasong

upload_2020-5-11_14-23-39.png

Here’s Chad trying to defend the lyrics. I’ll let you make up your own minds.

Brent likes this.
  8. tomtom94

Trusted

I never hated "bitter dinosaur" (except for the fact that the band subsequently spent two albums clearly being extremely bitter about something) but there's another lyric in Selfless that is definitely cringeworthy ("You've never felt emptiness / Like the taste of a flat soda").

Similarly, I actually don't hate the "birthday cake" line. That's not to say the lyrics are good by any stretch, but I find picking that one out as a particularly glaring example odd, at least.

pbueddi and thisisasong like this.
  9. thisisasong

I’m probably gonna get flamed for this but when Steve was kicked out, I feel that really messed with the dynamic of the band. I still think NFG jumped the gun on booting him out even though I know they felt like they had no choice. I have more thoughts on this but don’t want to derail the thread too much.

10. [​IMG]

11. OpenIntro

llama llama

[​IMG]

12. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

How've you been, Steve?

StoJa9 and BradBradley like this.
  13. thisisasong

YIKES. I just looked into it and completely retract my statement. Sorry, guys. That was way worse than I thought.

14. thisisasong

That was total ignorance on my part. Didn’t realize how bad charges actually got and that he was actually convicted. I lost track of the case at one point and should have checked myself. Forgive me?

15. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

(Raises hand)

pointless to do so but I’ll take a stab at why you maybe were going that way with this point:

They HAD to kick STEVE out. No question. Forever. At the same time, you can acknowledge he was a good musician and removing him from the band created a void that still hasn’t been filled.

Does that mean they need STEVE back? Hell the fuck no.

Does it acknowledge a reality? Sure.

No different than Jesse Lacey, really. Amazing musician. Awful human. We threw the art away with his confessions and right-goddamnfully so. Doesn’t take away the reality that for the remaining members of the band, there is a piece missing that has left them a bit less compelling.

I would love nothing more than for Ryan Key to just be their new guy. He fills every void they’re missing without (HOPEFULLY!) the insane awful baggage of Steve.

16. thisisasong

Dude I made a mistake and owned up to it. I am sorry.

StoJa9 likes this.
  17. thisisasong

Man, yall can be seriously ruthless. I admitted my ignorance and apologized.

18. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

Man, I’m as on your side as anyone in this thread? I’m literally trying to make an argument that I think you were attempting to make (one I even agree with!). Just trying to help you dig out.

19. thisisasong

Last I knew Steve hadn’t been convicted yet and the case was ongoing. I did a quick google search, read the first article and immediately it was foot-in-mouth. I rushed back here to retract what I said. I absolutely should have read up on the case before posting. Thank you for the reply.

fredwordsmith likes this.
  20. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

It's also just good to have the info out there like that. Mainly for others to truly have to acknowledge it.

thisisasong and fredwordsmith like this.
  21. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

It’s ok. I am glad the Chorus community is as vocal as they are. Sorry you got the hard side of it. Know that it comes from a place of love and respect for people of all kinds. When that doesn’t happen, the people on here are quick to cast off musical heroes. I wish more of the country were this way.

Back on topic: this song is...fine? It’s fine. It’s like 5 different tempos and sounds like they were searching for one the whole time. Cyrus’s drumming is amazing. But that’s about it.

After how unbelievably good Vol 3 was, I can’t believe how let down I feel by most of these singles.

thisisasong likes this.
  22. thisisasong

Agreed. You would not believe how many Brand New fans are out there who still don’t know about Jesse Lacey. Then again maybe you would believe it. I see it often.

Brent likes this.
  23. thisisasong

It’s really shaping up to be their worst album in my opinion. I mean, I have no interest in preordering it if that says anything.

24. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

The idea of Green Day and NFG BOTH releasing two absolute dumpster fires of an album, in the same year, especially with their last albums each being certain favorites of mine (and a lot of us) for different reasons...the mind boggles.

Brent and thisisasong like this.
  25. pbueddi

Trusted

I'd take this album over the new Green Day record in a heartbeat.

333 GANG, CMilliken and fredwordsmith like this.