Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Never Rarely Sometimes Always (Eliza Hittman, March 13,2020) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Dec 19, 2019.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

2. username

hey you lil piss baby

Julia Holter did the score!

Didn’t care much for Beach Rats but It Felt Like Love is a beautiful film.

CarpetElf likes this.
  3. username

hey you lil piss baby

Now that the possibility of recent releases shifting to VOD has opened up - including another recent Focus release - I really hope we get to see this soon.

I am so excited to see this and initially planned to double feature it with First Cow before it got pushed back a week here.

4. mad

I was right. Prestigious

looking forward to this!

5. username

hey you lil piss baby

OhTheWater likes this.
  6. username

hey you lil piss baby

VOD on Friday (April 3)

yung_ting and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  7. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

this was beautiful

8. username

hey you lil piss baby

Yep. Such a warm yet heartbreaking work. That long take during the questionnaire felt so heavy. This is easily her best film yet.

9. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Very excited to watch this

10. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Easily the best of 2020 I've seen so far. It'll last for me.

11. mgiannotti

edge mike Supporter

This was absolutely heartbreaking and stellar, crazy this is the lead's first role, too. The vitamin C/punching scene was incredibly hard to watch, and that questionnaire scene, man. Loved Beach Rats, but I think I like this more.

12. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

better on rewatch for me

13. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

hbo max 10/1

14. This is very good. One of the few movies from this year that I'd implore everyone to watch.

PatRFinley likes this.
  15. Morrissey

Trusted

The lead actor in the film met the director when their boyfriend was living in a communal house for Juggalos.

As bad of an omen as that is, this was really good.

OhTheWater and yung_ting like this.
  16. Morrissey

Trusted

The movie that it reminds me of the most is 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days, with the difference being transporting the horrors of seeking an abortion under an authoritarian government to the horrors of seeking an abortion under the crushing exploitation of poverty under capitalism. Both films have the friend being forced to use their sexuality to curry favors, and both let the anonymity of the man responsible linger, as it doesn't ultimately matter because the burden is forced onto women. Hittman has shown her European arthouse influences before, so I am sure she has seen it.

Fronnyfron likes this.
  17. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

18. Morrissey

Trusted

There are probably quite a few more who didn't make their position public, along with all the other voters who skip various films for a variety of stupid reasons. You also have to figure in all the dumb reasons not to see a film from the people some of the voters hand off their ballot to, whether it is their housekeeper or grandson or neighbor.

19. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Yeah and I’m not so sure how much an 80yo Mormon who said “I don’t watch horror films or movies with graphic sex or gratuitous violence or radical social agendas” is actually that emblematic of the old white male guard as Hittman seems to be claiming lol. Which is not to downplay the sexism that does exist in Hollywood, but it is of a different kind than that one guy, who himself is probably not the most popular guy in town

20. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

leaving hbo max at the end of the month

21. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Shit. Need to watch it.

22. Morrissey

Trusted

The central scene in this movie, where the title comes from, is full of raw emotion and power. Hittman in general is a promising developing talent; I remember liking It Felt Like Love and feeling that it did not receive enough recognition.