Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Neutral Milk Hotel Band • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by CoffeeEyes17, May 27, 2016.

1. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

This is maybe my favorite thing that's been happening recently. Why was it commonly dismissed? There's a whole world on that last song alone

2. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Oh Comely still moves me like no other

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  3. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

You and me both

4. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Man I’m on Two Headed Boy pt.2 right now, and getting such feels.

5. 5Stories

Regular

As much as I like On Avery Island, I much prefer live versions of all those songs, without as much fuzz. Just noticed I have 403 NMH tracks in my iTunes due to so many bootlegs, not bad for a band who only released 2 albums. I used to be properly obsessed :crylaugh:

6. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Where did you find these bootlegs? I'm very interested also the fuzz IS kind of crazy but it's also like very much part of the architecture of those songs to me now

7. 5Stories

Regular

I really have no idea lol. Probably on blogs long shut down. I went through a phase about 10 years ago when I had to have everything out there. Turns out there were tonnes of bootlegs recorded back in the day of variable quality but a lot of which are surprisingly good. It's like even in 96-98 people who went to the shows really knew that they were hearing something special! There's also a fair amount of pre-Avery SUPER ROUGH demo stuff, I can't say I really care to listen to it much...

If anyone's interested PM me and I'll figure something out.

8. MatthewDuke

Regular Supporter

Meeting Jeff Mangum is the highlight of my life.

5Stories likes this.
  9. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

cross post from the 90s indie rock thread, but any Apples in Stereo fans who care to point me in the right direction for getting into them? they've got a pretty intimidating discog

10. Doctor Octoroc

Doctor. The Doctor. Fun.

Reviving this thread to express how much I love NMH. I've been dedicating the last seven months of my life to recreating "In The Aeroplane Over The Sea" using a Nintendo and can't count how many hours I've put into perfecting the tracks. It may seem odd to recreate such a personal, powerful record using the sound chip on a retro video game system but I think it works on a most unexpected level. I'm planning to press the cover album to vinyl record and had a test copy made to promote the album. I also converted an old Nintendo into a record player!

If you like the idea, consider checking out and backing the Kickstarter to get these vinyl albums pressed! The standard press will be a thing of beauty (I created tons of custom pixel art for the album package and other extras) but with stretch goals, I can upgrade everything from the jacket and sleeve to the record itself. Here's a mockup of the standard press:

[​IMG]

I'm really hoping to be able to press it in clear vinyl as it looks so damn cool!

flask, Joe, coleslawed and 8 others like this.
  11. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

That is so fucking cool.

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  12. Horrorca

Trusted

13. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Holy shit.

I have done nothing with my life

coleslawed and EASheartsVinyl like this.
  14. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

That seriously must’ve been so much work

15. Dog Fish

Mutt

Wow, fucking rad.

16. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

That’s super cool. And the album art reminds me I need to get back into my Aeroplane cross stitch that I’ve been working on for years off and on......

17. Doctor Octoroc

Doctor. The Doctor. Fun.

Thanks everyone! I'm very passionate about this project and I had hoped others would love it as much as I do.

It definitely took a lot of time but every second was a treat! It was also an accumulative process. I started by doing a few tracks, which expanded to doing the whole album, then I worked on it a bit every day after the overall arrangements were complete in order to tighten up the flow, tweak the finer details, etc. Building the NES record player was kind of a last minute decision just before I launched the Kickstarter campaign when I decided I wanted to share the entire album in a way that made the most sense. When it's a chiptune album made with a Nintendo being pressed to vinyl record, nothing seemed as appropriate as turning a NES into a turntable!

I'd love to see that! Cross-stitch is no joke, I have a lot of friends who do pixel art cross-stitch and that takes a lot of dedication. One friend of mine stitched the entire "A Link To The Past" overworld map for her husband and it took her the better part of a year to finish it! I also used to do a ton of Perler bead art and it's a similar deal - lot's of patience and determination required. This one is probably the most time consuming one, including creating the reference image.

18. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Is the album art originally made from perler beads for this? I sent it to a few friends and we were trying to figure out if it was or not. I have never been any good at that myself, but stitching I can do! My piece will be true to size once it’s done, but is so time consuming who knows when that will be...

19. Doctor Octoroc

Doctor. The Doctor. Fun.

No, but would have been cool to do! I only used the NES color palette for all of the art on the album so Perler beads should be able to adequately recreate any of the art. I added texture overlays to everything to 'grime' it up a bit since straight pixel art is too clean for the feel/look of NMH's sound/feel/etc., which is probably why it appears like it could be textured like an ironed Perler bead piece is.

That reminds me, I do have some beads left over from y heyday...maybe enough to recreate something from the cover album...

20. Doctor Octoroc

Doctor. The Doctor. Fun.

Man...the folks over at this forum are brutal, haha. They do not take kindly to chiptunes, it seems. Hey, it's cool, not everyone digs every kind of music or art. As subjective as it is, I'm just happy some people enjoy it!

21. Doctor Octoroc

Doctor. The Doctor. Fun.

Front page feature on Kickstarter!

[​IMG]

coleslawed, Kingjohn_654 and 5Stories like this.
  22. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Semen stains the mountaintops

23. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Backing.

24. Horrorca

Trusted

if by brutal you mean total dicks, I agree

anyway, will listen tomorrow but I think it’s awesome that you took the time to do this

25. Doctor Octoroc

Doctor. The Doctor. Fun.

Thanks everyone!

Thanks! Really excited that the campaign also just hit the funding goal. With 18 days still left, we're bound to hit some sweet stretch goals!

Haha, yeah. Some people...thanks for the kind words!