Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Neutral Milk Hotel Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by CoffeeEyes17, May 27, 2016.

1. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Because we need to find out if it's a potato or if it's a tambourine

Aeroplane is so phenomenal I can't even comprehend it sometimes. I need to relisten to Avery at some point.

2. MatthewDuke

Regular Supporter

Meeting Jeff Mangum at a solo show in 2012 before the reunion is one of the highlights of my life. I have my signed ticket stub framed.

3. CoopDawg

They're obviously grilled... Prestigious

Semen stains the mountaintops....

Need to go back, and listen to Aeroplane Over The Sea from start to finish.

4. Horrorca

Trusted

listening to Communist Daughter on repeat

I don't think folk/acoustic music can reach higher highs than that song

I can think of few equally moving examples and no better efforts

hail

fronkensteen likes this.
  5. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

but oh comely is the best song on Aeroplane, what are you saying here

coleslawed likes this.
  6. Horrorca

Trusted

I know that one's the Best (and most popular) one, but CD will aways be my fav - tugs on all my heart-strings

7. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Is that really the most popular one because I was under the impression that was either Holland, 1945 or the title track. I feel the same about Oh Comely though, it shows what intensity can mean when you show it through just your voice and your words. The implication of intensity and emotion more than anything, the subtleties make that song. Love it to pieces. I do like the ambiance added by the white noise in the background of CD though, that's also a nice subtle touch

8. emt0853

Trusted Supporter

One of my favorite songs, period.

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  9. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Completely agreed. That album is a desert island album for me and that song is pivotal in having it all click with me.

10. Horrorca

Trusted

when he drops the guitar at the end of the song

omg

11. fronkensteen

Trusted

You could legit make an argument for any of the songs to be the best on the album because the album is perfect.

12. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I don't disagree with that statement, that's a good assessment

13. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I think title track and Two-Headed Boy pt 1 are their signature songs, that's not necessarily the same as best though

14. Horrorca

Trusted

THB 1 lyrics are quite something

so evocative in an absurd yet relatable way

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  15. MatthewDuke

Regular Supporter

Two Headed Boy Pt 2, while it has been ruined for me because of a relationship, will always and forever be my favorite Natural Milk song period. I just wish it wasn't hard to listen to. Haha

16. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I always kind of forget how Two Headed Boy is a really well loved and oft covered NMH song even though both are great

17. Borat 2: Vengeance

The Pitbull of Chorus.fm Prestigious

This album reminds me of all the time I used to spend on /mu/. Mixed feelings on that

18. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Holland is definitely the quintessential NMH song people literally lose their shit when that song gets played live

19. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

A friend of mine had tickets to see NMH in my sophomore year of high school and then we didn't go because they got sick. They offered me the tickets for me to go alone, but that would've been my second show ever and I'd never been alone and I got scared and didn't go. Possibly my biggest regret in terms of missed shows.

20. Justin Roux

Trusted Supporter

They're absolutely amazing live. I had just gotten into them and they announced they were coming to Springfield, MO (which is crazy because no one comes here) and my friends basically forced me to go, which wasn't actually that hard to do haha

Does anyone have any complaints about his voice? I think its so soothing but most people I show this too absolutely hate them because of his voice. I have a friend who hates them so much that he actually gets frustrated when I listen to them. He doesn't even call them NMH, just refers to them as "Radio Wires" hahaha

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  21. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

yeah i have a friend who hated his voice for a long time and called them the worst band in the world. She's cooled on her hatred with time though, she only dislikes it when he yells now haha

Justin Roux likes this.
  22. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

his voice is pretty rough sometimes haha

23. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I don't think his voice was any rougher than any of the yelpy white dudes on the numerous emo albums I loved and love at the time, i think that helped haha

24. Horrorca

Trusted

IIIII LOOOOOVEEE YOUUU JESUUUUS CHRIIIIST YEEES III DOOOOOO

25. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

wonder if Jeff Mangum still records and writes songs and stuff