Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Netflix/Hulu/HBOMax/Prime (All Streaming Services) • Page 115

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by popdisaster00, Mar 29, 2016.

1. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

Always considered cw shows to be teen/young adult centric. I could be wrong.

2. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Anybody actually read the book?

3. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

No but I’ve heard good things and am considering checking it out. Don’t know if it’s worth it after the show but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Colby Searcy likes this.
  4. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

I've been trying to hold off and read the books first but don't know guess long that'll last!

supernovagirl likes this.
  5. Yeah, but isn't all network television? Except for Hannibal.

6. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I finished You in two sittings. Really liked it.

7. supernovagirl

Yeah I like never binge shows these days and I finished it in 3 sittings. I know it was only 10 ep but still lol

8. domotime2

Hmm idk. Like aren't the main characters in cw shows all like college and under? Pretty sure that jsnt the case for the other networks

9. I think that only applies to Riverdale right now? But I know what you mean, CW is more geared towards young audiences than other networks. I'm just saying, even "adult" stuff on networks have to appeal to the lowest common denominator. And I'm not talking about just having a TV-MA rating. Nor am I saying network shows can't be good. It's an accessibility thing, I guess. Stuff that's on FX, AMC, and HBO are a bit harder to get into. Law and Order and True Detective are two very different kinds of crime dramas. I don't know if I'm explaining this very well.

10. EASheartsVinyl Jan 14, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 14, 2019)
    EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

The CW is definitely much more focused on younger audiences than other networks.

I can also understand thinking You would be more in that line instead of an adult drama/thriller if you only heard about the cast and basics.

domotime2 likes this.
  11. manoverboard365

Trusted

4 days ahead of Netflix's documentary FYRE, Hulu just released their doc on the festival called FYRE FRAUD:

I'll watch both, but this hulu one seems more interesting simply because they actually got McFarland to sit down for an interview.

12. domotime2

And just looked it up. The main writers and producers for YOU are all involved in the cw shows. There we are

coleslawed likes this.
  13. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Many big CW shows have main characters in their 30s, I think they somewhat aged with a lot of their audience. Then again some of those have been on the air for a while now.

14. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Crazy Ex Girlfriend and I zombie aren't teen oriented

15. supernovagirl

Yeah I think it might be fair to call You young adult oriented but the actors are all in their late 20s/30s so I don’t think at all that it’s supposed to appeal to teens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ i also don’t like what I’m (maybe misinterpreting but) perceiving about the implication that made for teens/young adults = bad

16. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I think the expectations of a show are very different going in if you know it’s focused on a younger audience or an older one, regardless of the quality. I know my mood varies a lot on whether I want to watch something really intricate and subtle and challenging or something louder and larger and easier to binge, and I would have expected You to be in that latter category based on the ads and the people involved.

domotime2 likes this.
  17. I guess that's what I'm saying, network TV doesn't tend to be intricate and subtle and challenging, even when it's geared towards an older audience. Not that that makes the shows inherently bad or unenjoyable.

18. domotime2

oh well if you're trying to say network tv, no matter the demographic, in general, kinda sucks... well, that is definitely true haha.

19. quoted before the edit

20. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Oh yeah I agree with that, I was just talking originally about how the CW focuses on younger viewers much more than other networks do. Compare their lineup to something like NBC or CBS and the demographics are completely different. I thought your original post the other day was about that, not the quality level.

I haven’t started You yet, but the way it’s described sounds much more interesting than my first impression. I read one piece that says it uses the romcom setup and flow but thrown into a super dark and disturbing thriller to make viewers uncomfortable from the start, and that is super intriguing. And from this thread and others I’m assuming it’s much more intense and realistic than what you might expect.

21. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I’m sure this comparison has been thrown out a lot but You just reminds me of Dexter in the social media/advanced technology era.

22. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

That same piece I mentioned compared it to Dexter if his crimes were sexual in nature. I’m assuming this character doesn’t have any code that he follows to validate his crimes, but maybe he just doesn’t see them as being wrong at all?

23. supernovagirl

Guess you’ll have to watch the show and find out...

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  24. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Mmmmmmm......

25. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Answering this would require major spoilers.

supernovagirl and EASheartsVinyl like this.