Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Netflix Raising Prices

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Michael Liedtke, writing at the Associated Press:

Netflix is raising its U.S. prices by 13 percent to 18 percent, its biggest increase since the company launched its video streaming service 12 years ago.

Its most popular plan will see the largest hike, to $13 per month from $11. That option offers high-definition streaming on up to two different internet-connected devices simultaneously. Even at the higher price, that plan is still a few dollars cheaper than HBO, whose streaming service charges $15 per month.

2. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

Shits gonna be $40 before we know it.

Raku, Kingjohn_654 and CMilliken like this.
  3. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

Not even gonna pretend i'd reconsider my membership until it hit $25

4. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Considering it took 12 years to make that big of a jump, I'd think you have til at least 2064 til it reaches $40 lol

5. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Not surprised. Still worth it.

6. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

How much will the DVD only service cost?.......asking for a friend

Steve_JustAGuy, Raku and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  7. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

At least I have Indiana Jones and the Mummy films. Netflix just needs to boost their game when it comes to documentaries.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  8. Hunter Norman

Regular

This will be the 2nd price increase I've had in less than 2 years, pretty shitty when ALL of my other streaming and music services have remained static for at least the last 2.5 years

Raku, Kingjohn_654 and ramomcferno like this.
  9. Shrug, still beats the price of cable by a country mile

Mr. Serotonin and Serenity Now like this.
  10. Max_123

Nope. Prestigious

It's interesting they do this at a time when they're about to lose all of their Disney media to a rival

Raku and RyanPm40 like this.
  11. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

There are months where I don't even open Netflix, I don't know how much higher I'm willing to pay for it. I don't care about most of their original series

12. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Jeeze. Time to cancel my ultra HD plan. It's a little ridiculous to pay so much for a plan when barely any of their original series are in 4K, and HDR just makes things look darker and harder to see on my TV anyways :shrug:.

I definitely go months without watching Netflix - I might get interested by 3 original series in a year, and then binge them each within a weekend.

Meanwhile, Parks and Rec is still on Hulu and Amazon, and I can't think of many other unoriginal shows on Netflix that I actually go back and watch.

disambigujason and Raku like this.
  13. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

I envy people who can get cheaper internet without also paying for cable. Unless I want the slowest speeds of 5mbps or less, which is unacceptable as an IT professional, it actually saves me money to just pay $100 a month for a cable/internet bundle.

Fuuuck Comcast and their monopoly in my region.

SEANoftheDEAD, Raku, mercury and 4 others like this.
  14. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

I cut the cord in 2012. Haven't looked back.

Get Shorty, Office re-runs, and comedy specials are why I still use Netflix more than any other service. HBO is a very close second.

Netflix's entertainment-news programs are pretty legit: Patriot Act, Explained, Follow This, etc.

15. Orla

little old lady Prestigious

If I weren’t already splitting an account, this would likely push me from an ongoing subscription to a month here-and-there when like, Stranger Things or Jessica Jones have another season out.

Kingjohn_654 and coleslawed like this.
  16. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Frankly, given inflation, all these subscription prices don't rise as often as they could anyway, so really there isn't much to complain here.

Jake W likes this.
  17. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Jessica Jones...

I have some bad news for you

Raku and The Lucky Moose like this.
  18. Orla

little old lady Prestigious

I am well aware of Netflix’s Marvel shows being cancelled, but also that we’ll be getting a season 3 of JJ before it’s officially axed.

Raku, RyanPm40 and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  19. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

I don't have to have to have cable or deal with Comcast because of Netflix and one other site so :clap::clap:

RyanPm40 and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  20. TheJMan

Trusted

I kind of feel like outside of some of the original shows Netflix puts out Hulu has a better TV show selection and Amazon Prime and VUDU's movies are better.

Raku and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  21. DearCory

Regular

...and now this new Steve Carrell SPACE FORCE show will keep everyone subscribed.

22. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

As much Netflix as I still watch, I now think I like Crave more in Canada too. I also think Netflix Canada is starting to offer the benefit of having series that are spread across the larger array of American platforms - where for a lot time our offering was way behind.

TheJMan likes this.