Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Netflix/Hulu/HBOMax/Prime (All Streaming Services) • Page 162

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by popdisaster00, Mar 29, 2016.

1. currytheword Apr 28, 2019
    (Last edited: Apr 28, 2019)
    currytheword

Trusted

Sending love to all those who recognized Planet Earth as the real deal Holyfield of nature docs. "Animals walking around" made me sad to read. That documentary has some of the most amazing shots i've ever seen of nature, and multiple scenes in it are first time ever recorded footage of certain species doing things.

Also, I learned that Great White sharks don't plop themselves onto a boat like in Jaws, but in fact breach the water and FLY THROUGH THE FUCKING AIR WELL ABOVE A BOAT if they please and I never wanna be around one in a boat.

2. currytheword

Trusted

This is something. A lot of Jen and Adam just delivering lines like they usually do, some explosions/crashes, and Luke Evans looking sinister as usual. When Netflix first started producing their own work it felt really tasteful and decisively done. A few years down the road now and it feels like they're pretty whatever about they greenlight.

3. So I'm curious what people are finding funny in the tim robinson sketch show. I'm almost done with it and I laughed maybe 3 times. None of the sketches really work for me.

4. I think it’s a pretty specific type of humor, I can see it not being everyone’s style

5. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Not to be condescending, but what do you find funny?

6. Off the top of my head Human GIant, Upright Citizens Brigade, Key and Peele as far as sketch comedy. But I prefer half hour comedies - Parks and Rec, Veep, Brooklyn 99.

riotspray likes this.
  7. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I don't think it's that far off from some of the other sketch shows you mentioned, but maybe it's just a little too absurdist for your tastes?

I found it hilarious throughout, but everyone has different taste.

8. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I love it and I love that the sketches can go anywhere.

9. Yeah I don't know what it is. I liked the baby sketch and the one where he was on a date and the date was eating all of the loaded nachos.

popdisaster00 and riotspray like this.
  10. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I have a hard time enjoying sketch comedies, for the most part. Especially improv comedy; that stuff drives me up the wall.

11. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

How much of it did you watch? If you weren't into the first episode, I doubt you'd like the rest, but just curious.

12. I've watched 4 of them and I'll finish the last two. Might be silly to continue on with something I don't like that much but they are only 15-20 mins so the time investment is minimum at least.

riotspray likes this.
  13. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, might as well finish since you only have like half an hour left. Maybe you'll find a sketch or two you enjoy.

14. Anyone watch black summer? It was decent if you are into zombie stuff. There is absolutely no narrative other than people trying to get from point a to point b. And the end was pretty dumb. A relatively quick watch since it's only 8 episodes.

15. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I watched 2 episodes but never finished it

16. Giving Ultraman a try tonight. In the mood for this kinda thing.

17. After listening to Jon Hamm on David Tennant's podcast, I'm going to finally watch Mad Men.

Dinosaurs Dish likes this.
  18. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Greatest show ever, imo

19. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Yes do that

20. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I’m still endlessly infuriated by that show.

21. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Get prepared to want to smoke and drink all day.

Zach and riotspray like this.
  22. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Honesty it just made me want to have hair as nice as Don’s all the time.

23. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

We've discussed this before but now that you've watched through all of Game of Thrones, which I'd say has way more disrespectful scenes and/or views of women, any curiosity about revisiting Mad Men?

24. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Something I find unfortunate about Mad Men, Sopranos, etc... despite the fact they are my some of my favorite shows of all time is their depiction/treatment of women. I feel the writers try to make it a point that the characters' behavior and attitudes are indeed wrong, but sometimes that gets lost in translation to audiences... I also feel like without enough women writers on these shows, things get carried away and the message is lost between portraying what's real and exploring a misogynist fantasy- if that makes sense.

25. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I’ve actually been trying it again just because I feel like it’s such an “important” show and as a TV lover I probably need to see it (and because I secretly hope you’ll finish The Americans if I do, lol). I finished S4 and I’d still put it right up there with GOT as far as how poorly it handles similar tropes. Maybe worse in some senses because it is always striving for “realism” and it uses characters who are the protagonists in those tropes more often than villains, so they get swept under the rug by viewers.

The Bye Bye Birdie episode also kind of sums up my feel about the show as a whole outside of the problematic elements. They work so hard to create a duplicate and when they look at it something is just off and it doesn’t feel real or true or have the soul of the original, and that’s how this makes me feel as far as covering life in the 60s.