Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Netflix/Hulu/HBOMax/Prime (All Streaming Services) • Page 636

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by popdisaster00, Mar 29, 2016.

1. MidDave

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

I just like moves that entertain me. Some are Marvel, some aren’t lol

2. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Okay well, that’s a good post Nathan lol

RyanPm40, Nathan and CarpetElf like this.
  3. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

I feel like at some point I’ve lost the difference between me posting in these wild ass sports threads vs these other (entertainment) threads on this site but I want it to be known I for sure love these convos and appreciate these articulate posts even if I don’t fully agree

4. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Haha that's fair. Then I don't know why they're dunking on Marvel fans; they know from experience that there's plenty of other content! :-p

5. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Because the Marvel movies eat up the resources. The mid budget movie has all but died in the last couple decades, and Disney buys theater space in small independent theaters for Star Wars and Marvel to maximize any profit, limiting theatrical windows for smaller films that need the exposure more, pushing them out. In Chicago my local art theater, which was always showing foreign and independent stuff, had to show Winter Soldier and Force Awakens when they were out. Every AMC in the country has those movies on 30 screens each, the same can’t be said for Anomalisa or Certain Women or whatever else may have been out that year. There are very real problems with Disney’s monopoly and the MCU is a symptom imho

6. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Even their programmatic ones have an element of quality control craft-wise so they’re always an entertaining way to pass two hours, and occasionally, they rise to be more than that. But Scorsese was right when he called them amusement park rides. Their intention isn’t storytelling in any kind of traditional cinematic sense, because they’re not allowed to have real stakes with the whole continuing universe thing.

7. cshadows2887

Not to mention Disney burying the century of Fox titles they gobbled up, presumably to mine them for IP. They’re refusing to let repertory theaters screen Alien and other Fox movies anymore

8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

theagentcoma and cshadows2887 like this.
  9. cshadows2887

I know it doesn’t look great, but I’ve never really ascribed nefarious intentions to the Brave thing. If they didn’t think the movie worked, they didn’t think it worked. Directors get replaced all the time, and tbh Chapman’s mostly been just solid in her other work, so it’s believable that the movie might not have been up to the Pixar standard.

LightWithoutHeat likes this.
  10. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I like but don't love the MCU, but my biggest issue is that they're basically all the same movie. Like, I know literally exactly what to expect every time I sit down to watch one and I get that every single time. You'd think a series with so many entries and such a wide variety of characters would be willing to change things up a little more. I was actually really interested in Wandavision for the first half because they were actually doing something unique and different but by the time the second half rolled around and they were just flying around shooting CGI at each other I was totally checked out again

11. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I think a big factor in the MCU’s success with audiences is that (even if most won’t admit it) fighting the day to day grind in America absolutely sucks and most of us don’t want movies that remind us of that 95% of the time. We want to see hot people do heroic shit against tangible monsters and win.

I also think the more that people see critics/artists complain about the MCU (something they like/enjoy), the more they’ll hold on tightly. (See: Trumpism for a similar example of a large market demographic doing the same.)

This is not to say that I think the other side of the coin (Marriage Story is a film popping into my mind at the moment; which was heartbreaking with excellent performances, so don’t take this as me knocking it) shouldn’t exist. They’re still absolutely crucial storytelling. But making movies is more of a business than any other form of art and businesses run on profit margins. It’s always going to be the medium for the most common denominator (also not saying I think this is how it should be, but the cost of a film greatly exceeds all other major art forms in construction) when put into a business model. Thankfully, streaming services seem more than content to find and give platforms where a traditional theater no longer has capacity due to market manipulation.

I even think there’s plenty of room for those perceived two sides to be one and the same, and we even get one of those every year or so, but as this divide expands, it won’t happen nearly as much as each side avoids trying to be like the other.

I don’t pretend to think I’m an expert on film. Far from it. But I’ve studied art (specifically literature) most of my life and am currently pursuing a career in writing, and so many of these things are paralleled. Just with the public death of the novel, it’s on a far smaller scale than we’re currently seeing at the box office.

I’ve mostly landed on “let people enjoy things they enjoy.” Especially when I don’t get it.

12. aliens exist

pure on main

people are allowed to dislike things that you like

someone disliking something that you like isn't a personal attack against you

you are allowed to like things that other people dislike

[​IMG]

13. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

for the record, I agree entirely.

I just don’t think this is the actual truth in practice with society anymore. Which is a negative side effect of the Internet that’ll be discussed eventually yet far too late

14. cshadows2887

Paramount+ FINALLY added a watchlist feature.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  15. Kerrbs

Let's go Cavs! Prestigious

I don't see that much harm in either. I love them both for different reasons. I grew up reading comics and loved all the x-men and spider-man movies growing up. I think the new Marvel Multiverse is awesome, not everyone's cup of tea. Saw the first Fast and the Furious when it came out in a Neon so yeah, nough said. They aren't great movies, but I've enjoyed them all. Fun movies. Sometimes, a fun movie releases and is what its billed Its not billed for a thinker, but a popcorn film that's meant to be fun. Let the people enjoy

16. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Is there a page on HBO Max dedicated to My List? I can only seem to find movies I've added to my list on the home screen, but even then you have to scroll over and it stops before seeing everything I've actually added.

17. This is mobile version but the person button on the bottom right corner

Screenshot_20210628-083422.png

airik625 likes this.
  18. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

I need to see if there is a page like that on the firestick app as well.

19. iCarly Rae Jepsen

20. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

For any fans of somebody feed Phil. So sad.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  21. Awww! I loved him. So sad. Both of his parents are gone now, I believe. Such a bummer…

22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Cameron likes this.
  23. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I never finished the first season.

24. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

It was good. Interested where they’ll go next

25. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

the show really got better in the back half, I almost quit it after the first 3-4 episodes