Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Netflix/Hulu/HBOMax/Prime (All Streaming Services) • Page 635

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by popdisaster00, Mar 29, 2016.

1. I’m always surprised that anyone still does, honestly.

Serenity Now and irthesteve like this.
  2. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

and SOOOOOO many people do

3. I thought it was going to be a fad that would die out after a couple years after a few Iron Man movies or whatever, but nope. They keep churning them out and fans keep drinking the kool aid as if every movie isn’t more or less the same. And people still say “oh you haaaaave to stay for the closing credits scene!” yeah we knowwwww.

irthesteve likes this.
  4. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

I, too, dislike [popular thing] for [reason]

5. mattav152

Release My Mind, My Garden Grows

lol I get being jaded on the oversaturation/tropes, but Marvel stuff can be good sometimes. I like to have fun personally.

coleslawed and RyanPm40 like this.
  6. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Buncha 6-7s - it’s like the mediocrity that is life haha

7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

8. blast0rama

Internet human. Supporter

If a TV show trailer ever had a “This will bomb but will have an intense cult following for years after” vibe, it’s that one.

CarpetElf likes this.
  9. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

I think the Marvel template has ruined film and most TV. I’ve also seen every Marvel movie and plan to continue.

10. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

The Disney strategy has been harmful to art, especially in Marvel since that’s where they’ve had their greatest success so far. I used to be pretty into it but the returns were pretty diminishing, largely due to the way their house storytelling style limits nearly any resonance in their work.

Victor Eremita and cshadows2887 like this.
  11. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Qft fr fr

12. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Yeah, I'm not afraid to admit that I love the Marvel movies. I legitimately can't remember the last non-Marvel film I've seen in theaters. Also never understood why some people complain about the humor in them. I enjoy laughing lol

coleslawed and CarpetElf like this.
  13. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Saying it’s harmful to art is legit insane lol

14. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I have no real problem with Marvel movies, other than it dominating the conversation when it comes to movies/TV a lot. Like, most of them are fun and disposable, with a few like "Ragnarok" and "Spider-Verse" that turn out to be excellent and have a unique voice. Most of the stuff they release, even the shows, are fun at the time and I have absolutely no desire to revisit.

I just hate dorks that obsess over them like they're the only films worth seeing. I have a co-worker that talks endlessly about "Loki" and when I told him I was seeing "Fast Nine," he scoffed and said they should have ended after the first one. Like, dude, let people have some fun. Anyway, that's my work rant for the day.

coleslawed and Serh like this.
  15. cshadows2887

Oh they’re absolutely destroying the medium of film. That’s just undeniable. But that’s mostly the fault of the corporations and the audience, not the movies themselves

16. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

No they’re not. They make both movies still that’s an insane take. Both can exist and it’s wild to think otherwise

RyanPm40 likes this.
  17. flask

Trusted Supporter

I know exactly what you mean. It’s slightly better looking than a tv show but still not quite ~cinematic~ looking. It’s like they know the average person is going to watch it in their room on a 30 inch tv while half looking at their phone

trevorshmevor, Zilla and cshadows2887 like this.
  18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

between the Disney Plus shows not having showrunners and the Russo brothers saying the Grey Man is going to be thought of as having an open ending I don't think anyone involved knows what anything is haha, which I mean it's fine but having Endgame only making sense as one 5 hour movie is a lot

“What we’re doing on Gray Man that’s different [is]… we’re not gonna answer every question in the first movie," explained Joe Russo. "This is being conceived as a series of films, and again, potentially branching out, we could follow other characters, but we’re not gonna answer every question in the movie. So you’re gonna finish the movie, [and] have a complete story, but you’re still gonna have questions about the wider universe. And I think that’s one way to break the model a little bit, is to not give the audience everything in one film. Don’t have a close-ended narrative. Have an open-ended narrative that’s [like] a chapter in a book.

19. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

It's like when people complain "there isn't any good music these days" because they aren't a fan of the more popular stuff and can't be bothered to browse through Spotify

slimfenix182 and DrAlanGrant like this.
  20. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Like I watched Endgame, The Irishman, and Marriage Story all in the same year soooo

21. cshadows2887

And two of those had to be funded by Netflix in a bid to steal market share because studios won’t make anything that isn’t an IP-driven tent pole for over $10mil anymore.

22. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Does every mention of Marvel have to turn into an intellectual dick measuring contest or what lol

23. Nathan

the people who complain about marvel movies see more movies than anyone else

Victor Eremita and CarpetElf like this.
  24. Nathan

25. Nathan Jun 25, 2021
    (Last edited: Jun 25, 2021)
    Nathan

eh I think part of why I got less and less interested in the MCU/Disney movies was because they were so neutered on an artistic level and I think a lot of people adapted to that thematic simplicity rather than get bored with it, then apply the way they watch MCU movies to more challenging movies, like all the nerds who tried to take Scorsese to task for making mafia glorification movies. In that sense I think the movies themselves are largely problematic.

Black Panther and Ragnarok were cool!

DrAlanGrant and CarpetElf like this.