Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Netflix/Hulu/HBOMax/Prime (All Streaming Services) • Page 270

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by popdisaster00, Mar 29, 2016.

1. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

phaynes12 likes this.
  2. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Herzog’s long game marketing ploy of starring in a Disney+ show to turn it into an ad for the Criterion Channel is working

Joe4th, supernovagirl, SpyKi and 4 others like this.
  3. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

Haha @EASheartsVinyl you didn’t fail me, I’m sure I missed that discussion / any posts about it. I tend to scroll through threads while doing other stuff and not really pay attention

kind of surprised Criterion of all companies has one since their physical releases and extras are so adored. Feel like a streaming service goes against all of that (unless the extras are also on the service) but I know plenty of people who love collecting and keeping up with the releases and having full sets of everything Criterion

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  4. Nathan

A streaming service for Criterion makes a lot of sense as physical media sales continue to fall. Their physical media is gorgeous and the features are amazing and I drop about $100 every time Barnes & Noble has their 50% off Criterion sale, but the Criterion Channel is a blessing (except I could use an Xbox or PS4 app)

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  5. marsupial jones

I definitely agree that a streaming service makes sense, I just kind of assumed they would have been the last company to make/get one because of how much work they put into the physical releases

6. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

They have tons of extras and supplements and content specific for the service as well as the films, so it’s awesome even if you have a huge collection of their physical releases. It was a wonderful and super rare example of online backlash working, because it came about after Filmstruck was shut down and people totally lost their minds.

7. Morrissey

Trusted

Criterion released a version of Armageddon. Is that on their streaming service? If so, Herzog might have revealed a lot by saying all their films are great.

8. Nathan

More weird content changes by Disney+

Kingjohn_654, Wharf Rat, Joe and 2 others like this.
  9. marsupial jones

I’m endlessly amazed and in awe of the people who notice this shit. My memory of entertainment is shit and even though I’ve seen certain shows literally dozens of times you could probably remove entire characters from scenes and I’m not sure I’d notice lol

supernovagirl and riotspray like this.
  10. Nathan Nov 15, 2019
    (Last edited: Nov 15, 2019)
    Nathan

Well, Alex Hirsch created Gravity Falls, so that’s probably why he noticed

11. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

It’s not. The service is great but they don’t have every spine available, for better or worse...

Also that’s really gross about Gravity Falls. I’m sure the complete list of content edits will be staggering if anyone is able to compile them all.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  12. marsupial jones

@Nathan ok that makes plenty of sense then lol not sure who noticed the Duff Beer thing in The Simpsons being cropped. if that was just a dedicated fan god bless 'em for their attention to detail

Nathan likes this.
  13. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

I hope Disney+ finds a way to show that there's a new episode within a series.

Kingjohn_654 and supernovagirl like this.
  14. marsupial jones

how is everyone liking Disney+? how is the user interface and such? (i know i could probably watch 100+ YouTube videos on this by now)

i forgot that you can get just the standalone Disney+ by itself for $7 or $6ish a month so i'm considering doing that since that's not bad at all.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  15. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

The interface and usability kind of suck right now, in ways that are pretty ridiculous considering how long they tested it. There’s little things like not showing the watchlist on the home page, and big things like not remembering where you left off either in an episode or a series. I haven’t had any issues with server errors or buffering like I’ve heard others mention, it’s mostly just problems within the app itself for me at this point.

As far as content goes I still have a lot to work through from a nostalgic angle, but I can tell already that my interest will not be held for very long. If I want to throw a random movie or an episode or two of something I’m working through on in the afternoon/evening, I’ll still be going to my other services every time before this one.

16. Yeah I don't think Disney has enough content to keep me engaged, but it will be great for my 18 month old to grow up with.

Kingjohn_654 and theagentcoma like this.
  17. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

The last episode of Smart Guy had tiny Ashley Tisdale and now this one has Anaya Rivera as one of TJ’s three dates to the dance. I remember people like Kyla Pratt being on it of course, but I had no idea I had seen so many others years before I watched what they were famous for.

Doomsday and supernovagirl like this.
  18. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

its insane to crop shit like that, wtf. thats way worse than offering the option to stream in 1.5x speed imo

Kingjohn_654 and riotspray like this.
  19. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

[​IMG]

It will be interesting to see if anything gets changed. We all know they want to control content entirely, so I’m sort of only expecting fixes if the backlash gets huge.

Kingjohn_654 and Wharf Rat like this.
  20. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

The fact that they have a “skip intro” feature but not a “continue watching” section on the homepage is fucking baffling to me. It was there on day one, but haven’t seen it since. Feels as janky as the FXX app, as if they simply lifted the core foundation of that platform and are tinkering on the fly. I’m sure it will get better over the next several weeks, but you’d think Disney, of all corporations, could at least rival Netflix in terms of software quality. That’s my only real complaint atm; FXX cropped the aspect ratio too, and it happens way more often with older shows on streaming or cable, so that shit doesn’t really bug me.

21. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

FXX allowed you to change it back to the correct ratio though, it just defaulted to the cropped one. That’s part of why it’s so confusing because if they are just porting a lot of stuff over you would expect that to stay as well.

supernovagirl likes this.
  22. marsupial jones

only thing i can think is that they looked into how often people changed it and if that percent was low they said "fuck it" hoping no one would notice or not many would care? but, this is Disney, and they're made of money and should have added it to avoid any issues.

supernovagirl and EASheartsVinyl like this.
  23. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Really wish autoplay next episode would be a thing. Would be especially helpful with Disney Jr/classic cartoons that are only a few minutes long.

24. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

You might have that turned off in your settings.

Brent likes this.
  25. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Huh. Never realized that. They should offer that feature on all platforms for all older shows, like Seinfeld and Friends. Netflix (still?) streams shows like Cheers and Frasier at their original AR’s; yet another head-scratching choice by Disney. I mean, if you’re gonna try and steal their viewers, maybe go ALL IN instead of half-assed.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.