Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Netflix/Hulu/HBOMax/Prime (All Streaming Services) • Page 200

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by popdisaster00, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

They only have random episodes on TV. Streaming you can watch them in order

2. I'm not too picky on quality. I think CDs sound better than streaming? I don't have experience with blu-ray or vinyl though

RyanPm40 likes this.
  3. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I cannot imagine paying for something I already own. That just blew my mind.

yung_ting, xapplexpiex and RyanPm40 like this.
  4. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Haha I guess in a way, buying something in HD for the first time isn't something already owned because it's an improved version :P.

I very rarely rewatch movies anyways, though, so I don't know that I've ever really done it. But I did rewatch The Other Guys with my girlfriend who had never seen it, and even though I own it on DVD, I spent like 15 minutes searching for a free HD stream of it instead because it just drives me nuts :crylaugh:

5. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I mean I do buy like Criterion versions or special editions of certain things, but paying for a stream when I have the DVD? Madness. I also have watched tons of movies dozens and dozens of times though.

xapplexpiex, coleslawed and RyanPm40 like this.
  6. RyanPm40

Haha yeah that's totally fair, I realize it does seem silly, standard def just looks so rough to me on my TV.

I did used to watch DVDs on my old laptop, but my Macbook doesn't have a disk drive. Actually I think my only DVD/CD player is my PS2 now, aside from the CD player in my car

7. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Get a blu ray!

RyanPm40 likes this.
  8. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

While I do own some Blu-Rays, most of my DVDs were purchased before the Blu-Ray/HD era was even a huge thing. It’s been probably 6 or 7 years since I’ve watched one of my standard DVDs but I don’t remember being bothered by the quality. I’m sure now I’d take more of an issue with it now that we’ve become absolutely accustomed to HD in the past 10 years.

As far as spending $ on things I already own...my entire vinyl collection (thousands of dollars) is of albums I had previously purchased on CD or digitally.

I personally wouldn’t do it with TV or movies, but I certainly understand it.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  9. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Is HBO Max taking the place of HBO Go, or will the two be separate?

10. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Pretty sure it’s all separate, which is another reason why the name is such a strange choice.

11. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, I think Go would be seperate.

[​IMG]

12. RyanPm40

So now there's HBO Now, HBO Go, and HBO Max

So fucking confusing haha

Also I had no idea that HBO was owned by WarnerMedia

irthesteve likes this.
  13. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

I honestly don't even know the difference between Go and Now.

OotyPa, Signifire and RyanPm40 like this.
  14. RyanPm40

Me neither, other than the fact that one seems to work with a cable subscriber, the other doesn't, and one has chromecast support, while the other doesn't.

I only watch one or two shows on HBO and uninstall when I've finished watching, and I always install the wrong damn app every time. They need to get their shit together haha.

15. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

I have HBO Go through my AT&T promotion, which isn't tied to cable at all.

16. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I didn't even know there was an HBO Now...what's the difference between Go and Now? I have HBO Go with my HBO subscription through Cable (AT&T)

17. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

I did some Googling, and it looks like Now is for people with no cable subscription. Although, like I said, I don't have cable, but I do have AT&T, and they provide me with HBO Go. So who knows.

18. Mister Lyrical

Forging Clarity Supporter

My understanding is that you can get HBO Now (Just HBO online subscription), HBO Go (Only comes as part of a cable or other subscription service), and HBO Max (All the HBO content plus a whole bunch more). HBO Now and HBO Go share the same content, pretty sure the only reason they're different apps is because of pissing matches between cable providers.

I'm in favor of HBO Go/Now and HBO Max being separate because HBO execlusive service will be cheaper and not bogged down by a lot of content that HBO subscribers don't potentially care about.

19. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I'm just going to stop watching TV. Too many streaming services and shows. It's a clusterfuck.

RyanPm40 and Colby Searcy like this.
  20. RyanPm40

I'm okay with the subscriptions being separate, but keep it in the same app like Hulu does (ads, ad-free, live TV)

21. OotyPa

fall away

I use HBO Now. What'll be the difference between the original two and Max?

22. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

HBO is just one small portion of what the Max service will have as far as libraries. I find the name super confusing since it really does sound like that one network is the focus instead of just one aspect.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  23. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Max will Include all of the NBC / universal / split cable shows too. They are just using the HBO branding because it is their most successful streaming brand. If they named it NBC something or Universal something it would feel like you are paying for more than one company (ex: Netflix + Hulu) by calling them HBO go / now + HBO max it feels like you are just upgrading for more access.

In theory it should work but since HBO already confuses people with the go/now thing it will end up making for some really
    Murky advertising.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  24. RyanPm40

Yeah I get the appeal in using a successful brand name, but I think it's going to confuse a lot of people and also make them not realize they're getting more than on network

25. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

It’s a terrible name, given that it’s more than HBO. The strength of the brand in no way outweighs the confusion it will cause, if you ask me.

EASheartsVinyl likes this.