Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Netflix/Hulu/HBOMax/Prime (All Streaming Services) • Page 394

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by popdisaster00, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Groogz

Tranquilo Prestigious

2. My new Plex server is my main streaming service now haha.

For those of you who are Plex pros, can 2 people watch the same movie at the same time but be in different parts of it?

riotspray likes this.
  3. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I use Plex, but just for myself, so I am of no use to you

riotspray likes this.
  4. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Nausicaa and Princess Mononoke are also truly impeccable. I like the darker, more adult Miyazaki films best, but love all his stuff in general. Need to rewatch all of it.

michael_gatto likes this.
  5. [​IMG]

irthesteve likes this.
  6. michael_gatto

Trusted

Nausicaa is a damn masterpiece. Definitely one of the best Miyazaki films.

coleslawed and OotyPa like this.
  7. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Ha. I'm 1000000% on Plex now. My dad and I tried testing this, and it seemed like it worked. Didn't watch a full movie or anything, but played around with it.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  8. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

What the hell is Plex? Another streaming service

theagentcoma likes this.
  9. irthesteve

I use it to watch files from my computer on my TV

bradsonemanband likes this.
  10. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

It basically turns your computer into a media server and allows you to access said media from anywhere. It also has a Netflix-like interface.

Essentially you can create and curate your own streaming service. Load a big hard drive full of whatever content you choose and then watch/listen to it from wherever you want. You can also share your media with other people and they can share with you.

You can tweak it to your heart's content with artwork, subtitles, director/genre tags, film descriptions, background screens... It's super dope.

bradsonemanband and Colby Searcy like this.
  11. Assuming Plex would work this way, I think I'd need a big external hard drive to consolidate and store all my media. At the moment, all my stuff from over the years is spread across a bunch of different hard drives and thumb drives.

riotspray likes this.
  12. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I love the idea of Plex but every time I look up anything about it my head just fills with static. I do have a friend with one and I might randomly message her every now and then to use it, but there’s no way I could make my own.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  13. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

I don't think I even have enough digital content to make this feasible tbh.

14. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

It's much simpler than you'd think. If you can work iTunes or Spotify or whatever, you could handle Plex. There are lots of extra features but the basics aren't difficult.

You do have to provide the content and have a place to store it, so unless you have a bunch of stuff on a HD then it might not be for you. But for me personally, I've already got 1000+ movies on my external HD an probably another 200 DVDs that I'll eventually rip and put on there as well.

333 GANG and Colby Searcy like this.
  15. irthesteve

it's easier than you think.
    1. start Plex account
    2. choose a folder or folders on your computer for Plex to pull from
    3. load Plex
    4. download Plex app on Fire stick, roku, google thing, etc. Log in.
    5. press play

16. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

I watched the majority of Miyazaki’s movies through old school Netflix late last summer (I think roughly Castle through Howl), but a few were always unavailable. I definitely love the nature-heavy epics the best, so I had high expectations for Nausicaa & Mononoke, and they have not disappointed.

just have the more “outlier” movies left (Cagliostro, Porco, and Wind Rises). oh, and Ponyo!

angrycandy, Fronnyfron and OotyPa like this.
  17. I don’t have a DVD player anymore so I’ve been ripping all my DVDs and putting them on my Plex server so I can watch them on my TV. I love this shit. Haha. And honestly, if I can figure out how to do it, anyone can.

riotspray and irthesteve like this.
  18. My smart tv has a Plex app. Thats how I watch stuff on my tv.

riotspray likes this.
  19. irthesteve

Exactly! Easy :)

riotspray and bradsonemanband like this.
  20. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I mean 2 is where I pretty much stall out. I don’t have much digital media basically at all, and my laptop doesn’t have a huge amount of storage. Plus I would mainly want to use it for movies or shows that I have no way to stream otherwise, and that’s an entire other can of worms. Like the service itself doesn’t seem to be the issue, it’s creating and maintaining the library that would make having it worthwhile.

irthesteve and Colby Searcy like this.
  21. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

So glad these excellent anime films are actually finding a home. It’s a start. Now, we need Grave of the Fireflies, Paprika, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, 5 Centimeters Per Second, Metropolis, Perfect Blue, Your Name, and Children Who Chase Lost Voices.

22. I've been watching an episode of Euphoria a night but I didn't watch one yesterday so I watched two today and ughhh

[​IMG]

One more to go.

angrycandy likes this.
  23. irthesteve

Loved Euphoria, crazy stuff

angrycandy likes this.
  24. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I went into Euphoria fully expecting to hate it but I genuinely really enjoyed it, the cinematography and music is insane

irthesteve likes this.