Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Net Neutrality Is Probably in Trouble

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Brian Feldman, writing at New York magazine on Ajit Pai, the new head of the FCC:

The net-neutrality debate is about whether one class of private entities, ISPs, should be regulated in order to allow millions of other private entities, users and businesses operating online, to operate freely. Pretty much everyone agrees that they should — except for the ISPs … and Ajit Pai. Pai even wrote a 67-page(!) dissent when the order was adopted. Even Google and Facebook support the principle, in part because they often buy up the smaller startups that flourish on an unfettered internet. Imagine an internet where, rather than buying Instagram for $1 billion, Facebook instead paid for a fast lane and forced Instagram out by other means.

As the proprietor of a relatively small internet website with a razor thin budget, I’m not super happy about this.

2. Is nothing sacred under this administration?

3. Anticitizen7

Please be kind. Like actually kind though.

The idea of losing net neutrality is honest to god terrifying to me.

Raku likes this.
  4. Max_123

Nope. Prestigious

Welp

5. Loki

God of mischief

I hate the idea, but I am shocked this didn't happen a long time ago.

6. Raku

Regular

I really don't like any of this, especially what was mentioned in the quotation there.

Imagine if we were still stuck on MySpace, and FaceBook was blocked from becoming a thing?

Jason Tate likes this.
  7. Saephon

Regular

But Clinton's emails...