Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Net Neutrality Is Important and It’s Kinda Stupid We Have to Keep Fighting for It

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Net Neutrality is important for the future of the internet. For smaller websites like this, it’s absolutely vital. If you have a moment to check out this website and send a letter to the FCC and congress about its importance, that would be great:

Net neutrality is the basic principle that protects our free speech on the Internet. “Title II” of the Communications Act is what provides the legal foundation for net neutrality and prevents Internet Service Providers like Comcast, Verizon, and AT&T from slowing down and blocking websites, or charging apps and sites extra fees to reach an audience (which they then pass along to consumers.)

For those looking for more info, John Oliver’s segment is a good place to start and his follow-up from this year talks about how the new administration is making this a thing again.

Raku and ComedownMachine like this.
  2. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

:redanger:

Raku likes this.
  3. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

This is like the internet privacy thing that got passed earlier in that there is no upside for regular people. There's literally no benefit to citizens to have net neutrality overturned. All it does is help corporations. The only exception to this might be T-Mobile's and AT&T's allowing for "free data" with particular services.

Raku and slickdtc like this.
  4. Raditz

SSJ

Hmph always an overlord tyrant trying to rule everything with an iron fist. Something I know all too well.

5. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

are you talking about Vegeta

6. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

on a similar note, support Wikipedia, either by donation or (more significantly) by helping edit. free internet is vital but so is free information

7. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Wharf Rat likes this.
  8. Raditz

SSJ

9. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

the internet was censored on Planet Vegeta, a band of cyber freedom fighters codenamed "Raditz" "Vegeta" and "Nappa" ventured to the planet earth so they could download the newest season of Master Of None but instead were viewed as villains and thus, the Internet Saga begins. when we last left our heroes....

10. Tim Fitzpatrick

These replies went off the rails in the best way possible.

Raku and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  11. slickdtc

Regular Supporter

And we just sit idly by and allow this stuff to happen. So much news to keep track of that important stuff gets lost.

I've been keeping an eye on net neutrality, and a big reason why it was upheld last time was because of the flood of people who protested overturning it. I feel like they're going to keep bringing it up until we're too fatigued to fight it. They'll just shove it through while we're looking the other way. Seems that's how the privacy thing went.

The way some things run in this country and this world is just downright depressing. I know retreating from the "battle" isn't a good idea, but damn I can't blame people for throwing their hands up and walking away.

Raku and austingordon like this.
  12. austingordon

your local curmudgeon

Man, couldn't agree more with this statement.

Raku likes this.
  13. elphshelf

100% made of farts Supporter

They can keep stack the deck in their favor and all we can do is raise a stink and vote, which in this case we can't even do.

14. Raku

Regular

The fact that these companies lobby, and keep trying every year to find ways to screw over the common person is so frustrating =/

I'm really hoping that once again, Net Neutrality will end up being saved.

15. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

It's true. Do we care about Russia meddling in our election or about our internet potentially becoming slower for all sites who aren't willing to pay ISP's to be faster? I'm not saying that the Russia stuff is pointless, but we need to make sure that the really important stuff doesn't slip through the cracks.