Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Neon Trees Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Eric Wilson, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Neon Trees is an American rock band from Provo, Utah. Known for their energetic live performances, the band received nationwide exposure in late 2008 when they opened several North American tour dates for the band The Killers.[4] Not long after, the band was signed by Mercury Records and released their first studio album, Habits, in 2010.[5] Their first single, "Animal", climbed to No. 13 on the Billboard Hot 100 and No. 1 on the Alternative Songs chart. Neon Trees' songs are represented by Downtown Music Publishing. - Wikipedia

2. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

[​IMG]

Dear Neon Trees friends fans and family:

It seems strange to say this but:

We're back.

It's been 3 years since our last album, and after years of being a band together, touring the world and living the dreams of our youth, we took an important break.. one that's refreshed all of us and refocused what our band is and what we want to do next.

We are pleased to announce that next week you'll all be getting the first taste of new music from this next era of Neon Trees.

Thank you for being with us all these years, and we can't wait to show you all what we've been up to and what we have in store.

With love and affection

Tyler
    Chris
    Elaine
    Branden

NT

3. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Stoked. Like at least a few songs from each album, though Picture Show is the only one I dig all the way through.

Eric Wilson likes this.
  4. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

i hope they take some risks! picture show was amazing

Eric Wilson likes this.
  5. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Awesome! Tyler's solo album was fucking great, if any of you haven't heard it yet

bradsonemanband likes this.
  6. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

Said this in a different thread earlier, but, while I'm interested in what the band has in store, I can't help but feel disappointed that Tyler wasn't able to tour behind his solo album.

7. It'd be really cool if they incorporate a few of his solo tunes into Neon Trees set. I can't really see that happening though since that album was pretty hard for them (Elaine, especially) to listen to.

8. quietwords

The songs are so incredibly personal for Tyler too that I don't know if he'd want to perform them with the band. Hoping for some insightful interviews in the near future!

9. angel paste

why elaine especially

10. she's still very mormon, and so tyler's videos/songs were offensive to her.

11. angel paste

hmmm gross! surprised she's still in the band, hopefully she has accepted it.

12. i mean, they've obviously worked it out since they're bringing the band back. but i know that that was a difficult time for them there for a bit.

13. angel paste

just because they've worked it out doesn't mean she's accepted it, this is her payday after all!

14. Very true.

Here's an excerpt from an article that came out around the same time as Excommunication:

"I didn't warn them about the material," Glenn says. "Maybe that was an error on my part. It definitely caused a good two months of not communicating. But the present is really healthy."

Neon Trees guitarist Chris Allen agrees.

"It definitely affected the other guys in the band who are still in the church," says Allen, himself a former Mormon. "They were pretty upset for a while and communication wasn't very good. Then we had a good meeting, where we talked about if we could or even wanted to continue. We talked about boundaries, how this would affect the band's direction, how this was obviously a solo project and that he still wants to play with us and respects us. Fortunately, after everyone got to thinking about it, everything is good now."

Glenn says he's still trying to "wrap my mind around" what a Neon Trees record will sound like after "Excommunication."

"I don't think I'm an irresponsible lyricist, so I'm not going to be in Neon Trees touting that my bassist and drummer's religion isn't right," he says. "But at the same time, I need to find what can be fresh and cool and good for the band to write about. I don't want to put a ceiling on creativity, but I also asked them to understand there is context to this message in this record and I don't think I'm going to make another record like this. I look at 'Excommunication' as a very singular creative moment, something I felt I really had to do."

On 'Excommunication,' Neon Trees singer Tyler Glenn finds freedom from fear, details struggles with his Mormon faith

irthesteve likes this.
  15. angel paste

hmmmmmm this is interesting, I guess we'll see this week??

16. lina555

Regular

What kind of picture show?

17. irthesteve

"Feel Good" out Friday

Eric Wilson and quietwords like this.
  18. quietwords

Ready for it.

Eric Wilson likes this.
  19. Elaine's old band Another Statistic was soooooo fucking good. I was jamming out to them yesterday. Forgot how great they were. I also have just about all of Neon Trees' super old material, which is kinda cool to listen through.

Eric Wilson likes this.
  20. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Ready to hear how this is going to sound.

21. lina555

Regular

I really like their album "Picture Show"!
    This is really cool work.

22. irthesteve

js977 and bradsonemanband like this.
  23. irthesteve

Song is a really great comeback track, very fun

Eric Wilson likes this.
  24. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Agreed completely. Really like the song.

25. bradpetrik

Trusted Prestigious

Man, coming out swinging. I'm glad they're back. I've loved every album and Tyler's solo album is excellent. I've missed them more than I thought.