Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Neil Young Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Blaine Ryan, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Blaine Ryan

We don't have one of these?

Summer is Crazy Horse season.

Aregala likes this.
  2. Blaine Ryan Jun 18, 2017
    (Last edited: Jun 18, 2017)
    Blaine Ryan

Sleeps with Angels is my favorite Neil record right now. His entire 1989-1996 resurgence is a better run of music than most artists manage in their whole careers.

Aregala likes this.
  3. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

How was this not already a thread?

"There you stood on the edge of your feather, expecting to fly" :sigh:

Aregala and Blaine Ryan like this.
  4. Blaine Ryan Jul 8, 2017
    (Last edited: Jul 8, 2017)
    Blaine Ryan

kyle likes this.
  5. cshadows2887

6. Blaine Ryan

Hell yeah. Peak-era Neil. Acoustic. Two "new" songs (three if you don't count the Le Noise version of the title track). I'm stoked.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  7. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

Neil's a top 10 all-timer for me after I started binging his mammoth discog 2-3 years ago

sooooooo hyped for Hitchhiker

cshadows2887 and Blaine Ryan like this.
  8. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

one of my favorites

GettingSodas and Blaine Ryan like this.
  9. cshadows2887

Do you think the songs that have already been heard like "Pocahontas" will be different versions? Or likely the same that are already out there?

10. Blaine Ryan Jul 9, 2017
    (Last edited: Jul 9, 2017)
    Blaine Ryan

Likely just different in the sense that they're guy-and-guitar takes. Which could still be pretty revelatory. I know that the acoustic take of "Powderfinger" I have (from the unreleased Chrome Dreams) is what triggered my love for that song, and I sort of take it as its own separate thing. Like different Dylan or Springsteen takes. Most of them occupy their own space for me. That's how I expect these will be.

11. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

found a really nice copy of Mirror Ball on vinyl at the record store the other day. Thought about snatching it up but couldn't justify that price tag for one of my lesser favorites of the 90s resurgence. Now if it was Ragged Glory or Sleeps with Angels that would have been a different story

12. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

been on a binge of his later/less canonized stuff lately

Silver and Gold is a really strong album. Sort of a return to the Harvest/Harvest Moon sound but really just easygoing listening overall

Prairie Wind tries to replicate this formula to less of a success, but has some standouts, particularly, "It's a Dream"

This Note's For You is one of Neil's many strange experiments in the 80s, but in my opinion one of his more successful ones. The addition of the Bluenotes' horns isn't always a perfect blend with the traditional Neil sound, but on the more laid back, emotional tracks, like "Coupe de Ville" or "Twilight" their presence is greatly welcomed. These tracks almost remind me of Tom Waits ballads in how the horns are used

13. lina555

Regular

These videos so awesome. Thanks for sharing! I'm really thrilled

14. zmtr

Trusted

So this is pretty fucking great

In this raw way, Hitchhiker is pre-history, offering tunes from Young's extensive archive in just-past-sketchbook form. In his 2014 memoir, Special Deluxe, he recalls that he viewed the songs as a unified whole and recorded them that way, in rapid succession, "pausing only for weed, beer, or coke." Then he sat on the results. Like other occasions throughout his career, he ultimately decided against releasing it. His explanation in the book: "I was pretty stony on it, and you can hear it in my performances."

15. zmtr

Trusted

Umm is it okay if a 41 year album can be my AOTY? This is amazing.

16. Skinkie

Regular

Yeah. Mesmerizing performance on this one

17. Is it released next week?

18. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

what an album

19. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Yeah it's pretty awesome. I also appreciate that the tracks aren't touched or anything at all. This is just a recording from 1976 that hasn't been released before.

20. Skinkie

Regular

Yeah September 8th

21. cshadows2887

Motherfuck Hitchhiker is incredible.

Aregala and angrycandy like this.
  22. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

just listening now after it got added to streaming

holy fuck

23. zmtr

Trusted

I've listened to it multiple times a day since the stream. It has no business being so good haha

Aregala likes this.
  24. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

absolutely love this version of "Human Highway" the Comes a Time version, while good, was always a little overcooked for me

25. zmtr

Trusted

I won't stop posting about this.

Sadly, it's going to get overlooked because it's an unreleased album by an established legend. I've been half joking when I said like "hahahaha omg could a 40 year old album be in my AOTY list??""

It's not a joke anymore. This record is a masterpiece and if it was released when it was actually recorded people would be calling it Neil Youngs "Nebraska".