Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Neck Deep - The Peace and the Panic (August 18th, 2017; Hopeless) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by SmithBerryCrunch, May 22, 2017.

1. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

No

2. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I won't support them in any way, but I'll listen to the album out of curiosity (albeit probably only once).

3. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I used to be all about these guys until the scandal. Will never go see or purchase anything from these guys. The stigma/label thats stained them has really tarnished my perception of them and I get a guilty feeling everytime I listen to them. It's a shame too bc I think they have some good songs.

4. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

they look creep as fuck in that video. bummed

5. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

The rest of the album is more in line with Bloom. The two bonus songs are faster tracks.

6. I missed the Brand New preorder because I was listening to the leak of this album, so my opinion of it is kind of negative right now.

In all seriousness though, it's probably their weakest record and the singles were some of the best tracks. B-sides are good too. But there seems to be a lot of filler.

SmithBerryCrunch likes this.
  7. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Just got through my first listen. First impressions are that this is pretty boring.

BigMouth likes this.
  8. SPine

Trusted

Some of the lamest lyrics I've heard in awhile. I don't think I liked one song.

9. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I can't put my finger on what it is about Neck Deep that gives me this feeling, but listening through this, I just get this overwhelming feeling of "what's even the point?" I mean, I'm a fan of at least some pop-punk, but there's really just nothing good or interesting about this. I literally cannot understand why kids eat this band up.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  10. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I know what you mean. I don't understand what makes them stand out amongst other pop punk bands. Especially now, after this release full of mundane songs. I always found myself more attached to their faster/heavier tracks, but really, you can find that elsewhere too haha.

11. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

They really are a considerably weaker version of The Story So Far, who are not an exceptional band by any means to begin with, haha. It's possible that ND being shitty people somewhat colors the way I hear their music, but even with that aside they strike me as one of the least exciting of many unexciting bands doing this style.

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  12. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I found a lot of the vocal deliveries/phrases to feel really clunky. Multiple times I felt like "oh, that was the end of that chorus or verse?". Just some odd choices.

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  13. Rob Hughes

Play the Yakuza series

Tbh this band has always had lame/generic lyrics so I'm not surprised that they haven't changed. It's gonna be hard to follow LNOTGY because that was just a fun album all the way through and had so many catchy hooks. Everything before that was painfully generic, albeit still a little bit of fun, so not shocked to hear that this is going down the generic route again.

14. Rob Hughes

Play the Yakuza series

Lol if anyone wants to hear some more shit: People are saying ND's new single "In Bloom" ripped off the band Mallcops' "Violet Train Tracks"

15. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Yeah I noticed that as well. The songwriting on this album is odd. I feel like they are missing something. Maybe the old guitarist had more input in the songwriting than people thought.

16. I'll play devil's advocate here (sort of?). When I was younger and they released the Rain in July and History of Bad Decisions EPs I fell in love with them. Yeah, the production was bad, but it made it feel relatable, like I could record something like that and get my band big (which I tried once I found out which virtual amps and drum triggers they used ahaha). The topics, while difficult to stomach now, were meaningful to a teenager going through the first bad breakup of his life. I don't think they actually helped me emotionally manage it, but that was neither here nor there at the time. The riffs were big, the choruses were big, and it felt like I had happened upon the next big thing. They only got better at what they did which each subsequent release too (minus this new record). As a side note, I've never understood why people attacked LNOTGY for not having hooks - pretty much every chorus and riff is ear candy, even if the instrumentals don't always do enough to showcase it.

So that feeling right there that I used to have is probably why they're so big. Now, though, they're just getting in their own way. They need to focus on hooks and tight songwriting over this pseudo-political schtick and awkward phrasing/melodies. They're better at throwing a party than inspiring. They definitely aren't original, but at times they're great at synthesizing a lot of things that makes pop punk so much fun.

I will say, though, "In Bloom" connects with my inner teenage self and I'm really happy that song exists.

SmithBerryCrunch likes this.
  17. Joe DeAndrea

Regular Supporter

Can't stop hearing All Time Low's "Bail Me Out" in Critical Mistake

18. jameson4111

Hold up, what's wrong with TSSF? I agree ND sounds like a weaker version but damn. I think TSSF is way better then any new pop punk bands. Like State Champs, Knuckle puck, real friends, handguns.

19. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

State Champs and TSSF are probably the best, but none of them are very good imo

20. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Based on reactions to KP's new album it seems like they're going to be the "best" of this crop

21. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I love The Story So Far. Perhaps I am bias cause they're from my hometown, but, they're the only modern pop punk band I am stoked off of.

Anyways, I loved most of "Life's.." so I was stoked for the new record but this is truly just.. awful.

22. Ed59_

Regular

Jeeeez, just compared the two and I can definitely hear the similarities.

23. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Man, this album is shit which is quite fitting. Pass.

24. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Just watched the "In Bloom" video and holy fucking lol... fucking creepy/cheesy as hell.

I am embarrassed for this band.

25. DickyCullz

I create content for some of your favorite artists

is that Ryan Key on "Wish You Were Here"?

Really sounds like him at the beginning