Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Neck Deep’s Set Cut Short Due to Fight With Venue Security • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 10, 2017.

1. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

The bald dude was neck deep in that security guard's arms

Raku likes this.
  2. SamLevi11 Oct 11, 2017
    (Last edited: Oct 11, 2017)
    SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I mean, there's literally a number of videos of the security guards grabbing kids in headlocks, slamming them into the ground, and swinging elbows, yet people still wanna talk shit?

I frequent Rock City a lot and I can tell you now, the security fucking suck. They aren't trained, they just get normal meat head bouncers to do it and they don't know how to handle it other than violence. This was gonna happen sooner rather than later. I've seen them grab kids by the hair and slam them on the floor.

The band should have handled it better and getting involved in the fight is immature (especially the guy who kicked out at a bouncer), but frankly if you're working on security and choking out a kid for crowd surfing then fuck you. The band intervened to protect the fan yet people in this thread who were neither there, nor have experienced this shitty security team want to talk shit because they dislike the band. :crylaugh:

Raku, GEM37 and PandaBear! like this.
  3. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah my brother confirmed Rock City security is notoriously fucking awful for this shit - the type of people to get in to that line of work specifically to throw people around and show how macho they are.

Raku likes this.
  4. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

I'm sorry, I just can't get over this band of shitty, predatory dudes trying to say their shows are supposed to be a safe and positive place, lmao. On top of that, if you're encouraging and inciting your fans to be stupid and put themselves in harm's way, you can't just blame security, no matter how rough they are.

swboyd likes this.
  5. daldalian

hopelessly yours, Alabama

I agree that no one in a position of authority should abuse that power to hurt those they are ostensibly there to protect. Violence is never the answer and there should be measures taken to help this situation.

However, as a flawed human being, I find it very hard to sympathize with people who are actively hurting / ruining the experience of others. I've been kicked in the head enough times by crowdsurfers to not feel pity for the results of their decisions.

As I've gotten older I no longer fight to stand at the front and engage with my favorite bands at shows, because I know some 240 lb sweaty dude is at some point going to land on my head/shoulders or worse, that I'll have to keep him off the head and shoulders of a smaller person next to me. I don't put myself in that situation anymore but I can't help but spite those people.

I don't even intend to take a side in this particular case (Neck Deep v. Venue Security), for some reason I just felt like saying all of this.

6. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Can't help but feel that crowd surfing =/= Being put in a headlock and slammed on the floor.

7. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Regardless of how a person is acting at a show, security (just like police) should use the minimum amount of force necessary to handle the situation.

I saw Chance the Rapper a few years back at a small club and there was a dude outside that was clearly drunk out of his mind. He'd apparently been kicked out of the show for whatever reason. He was out front of the venue arguing with the door guy who just kept laughing at him. Every so often, the drunk guy would bumrush the door guy and the door guy would literally lift the dude up over his head and hurl him down onto the concrete. The guy was so drunk that he would get up and do it again, over and over again.

Obviously the door guy had to protect himself/the venue/others, but he could have easily called the police or handled the situation differently. He was really enjoying beating the shit out of this guy instead.

tl;dr - Fans will be idiots, but when you take on a position such as security, you take on a responsibility to handle these situations appropriately.

Raku, GEM37 and FreshnessExpired like this.
  8. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

I also don't understand how an incident like this, which happens at almost every venue i've ever been to seemingly, warrants calls for extreme things like the ending of an entire genre. Shit bands like Neck Deep, FPS, Moose Blood, and whatever other shitty predators that have been signed for less than 5 years do not represent an entire genre that has been around for 3 decades.

Raku, GEM37 and suicidesaints like this.
  9. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I personally don't partake in crowd surfing or stage diving at shows, but depending on the band/venue, I certainly expect/prepare for it. I've seen plenty of examples of people doing both as conscientiously as is possible, and plenty of others who have done it recklessly to the endangerment of themselves and others. But it isn't uncommon to see bands and security on different pages about what's acceptable, and it seems simple to have venues establish to bands what the rules are and what their security are instructed to do (bands shouldn't be encouraging stage diving while security are instructed to stop any concertgoers from going on the stage).

Back to this story though, no security should be escalating the violence when it's their job to be managing safety, but the band should have handled it differently too. Best example I ever experienced was Moneen stopping a show mid-Passing of America and refusing to play another note until security stopped unreasonably using violence on the crowd. It was peaceful, impactful, and they jumped right back into the song where they stopped once it was settled.

carrytheweight and GEM37 like this.