Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Nazi Punks Fuck Off

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Steve Knopper, writing at GQ:

Every hardcore band you loved in the ’80s and beyond, from Black Flag to Minutemen to Fugazi, had one unfortunate thing in common: Nazi skinheads occasionally stormed their concerts, stomped their fans, gave Hitler salutes in lieu of applauding, and generally turned a communal experience into one full of hatred and conflict. […]

Here’s an oral history on how punks took back their scene.

This is great.

2. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

"I was going to the bathroom before the club opened. I saw a kid and he followed me. When I came out, he said, 'Mr. Jenifer, I want you to know, I used to be a racist, and a skinhead and an asshole, and ever since I saw your band I’m different. I have a wife and kids.' That alone was my platinum record."

That's pretty fucking awesome.

Penguin, sosplatano, Carrow and 3 others like this.
  3. Ska Senanake

Trusted

4. jorbjorb

7 rings

Loved reading this.

5. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

Jello Biafra for President

6. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

7. Stephen Young

Regular Prestigious

Experiences with Nazis in punk is the best argument I can make as to why "talking to nazis and reasoning with them" won't ever work. To seed out that element in punk, people literally had to beat them to get them to leave.

8. Ska Senanake

Trusted

RIP Yelchin is right. He's the same age as me. Fucking tragic. I loved that Maebe and John from Peaky Blinders was in it. And Patrick Stewart as the head of the neo nazis. Such a good film.

9. Ska Senanake

Trusted