Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Nation of Language - A Way Forward (Nov 5, 2021) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Matt Chylak, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

The sophomore full length from Brooklyn-based new wave band Nation of Language. Their 2020 debut Introduction, Presence is one of my favorites in recent memory and their new music promises to evolve that album's tight set of New Order-esque indie rock bangers into more stretched out compositions.

[​IMG]

TRACKLISTING:
    1. In Manhattan
    2. Across That Fine Line
    3. Wounds of Love
    4. Miranda
    5. The Grey Commute
    6. This Fractured Mind
    7. Former Self
    8. Whatever You Want
    9. A Word & A Wave
    10. They're Beckoning

Check out first single “Across That Fine Line” below:

A Way Forward is an exploration of the band’s relationship to the music of the ’70s, through the lenses of Krautrock and early electronic music. We aimed to more deeply trace the roots of our sound, hoping to learn something from the early influences of our early influences. Experimenting with how they might be reinterpreted in our modern context—looking further backward to find a way forward.

“We drew a lot from the steady locomotive rhythms of bands like Kraftwerk and Neu!, while also looking to less-propulsive electronic artists like Laurie Spiegel and Cluster. The goal was to have a record that felt like a journey, like being on a train that gets lost in a colorful fog, and then suddenly bursts through into different landscapes.

“Thematically, some of those landscapes are familiar in their melancholy, but we also wanted to introduce celebration and joy in a way that hadn’t really been present in our previous album. Having these bursts of positivity felt like it gave the emotional low points more resonance, giving a stronger sense of emotional reality to the album overall.”

JM95 likes this.
  2. JM95

Trusted

I noticed the new song up on Spotify today, haven't listened to it yet. Looking forward to this.

3. username

hey you lil piss baby

Looking forward to it, last one had some great tracks. That’s quite a ways away though lol

4. New single out today:

Why is the full thing so far away though? :verysad:

5. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Found them through some DJ mix a while back and fell in love with that debut. This is one of my most anticipated.

6. Matt Chylak

"Wounds of Love" is perrrrrrfect.

JM95 likes this.
  7. Matt Chylak

beautiful new song out today! gives me some Blue Nile vibes actually.

JM95 likes this.
  8. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

They're so good.

9. JM95

Trusted

Still two months away.

10. Onlyadirector

Trusted Supporter

Thank you KEXP for getting me into these guys. Singles are great so far!

11. Matt Chylak

Onlyadirector and JM95 like this.
  12. JM95

Trusted

Excited

13. Matt Chylak

14. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious