Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Nathan for You (Comedy Central) TV Show • Page 43

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Nathan, Mar 31, 2016.

1. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Finding Frances is easily #1. I can't stop thinking about it since it aired and need to watch it again ASAP

2. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

I'm glad others think the Gas Station Rebate is a top episode. That's always the episode I show people first but a lot of people say it's not a good introduction

smoke4thecaper and dylan like this.
  3. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

I'm a man so obviously my perspective is different than the author of that article, but I think the show's entire schtick is putting people into uncomfortable situations, and the show does it universally. It's not like the show is targeting women to put in uncomfortable situations. Everybody Nathan comes into contact with is put into an uncomfortable position and some of those people happen to be women. I do kind of agree with the article in regards to Daddy's Watching, even though that's one of my favorite segments, the premise of the joke plays off of violence against women in an icky way. But with regards to Finding Frances, I thought the show actually did a good job of being self aware about how creepy Bill's quest was and the article mischaracterizes Maci's reactions to Nathan.

But again, the whole point of the article is that some of the situations on the show might be viewed differently from a woman's perspective, so I might just be reinforcing the point of the article. It definitely made some points worth considering though.

Drewski and jols like this.
  4. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

I have a friend coming over tomorrow to watch it for the first time and Gas Station Rebate is the first episode I'm showing, after that I'll sprinkle in 2-3 random episodes and then we're watching Finding Frances

JaytotheGee likes this.
  5. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

I'm ranking by segment because some episodes definitely have one half that's much stronger than the other:

10 Dumb Starbucks - Really this one shouldn't have been so funny with knowing ahead of time that it was a Nathan gag but it's a great episode.

9 Realtor - Easily, easily the most ridiculous episode of the show. The side participants in this are ELECTRIC (rip Ron)

8 Shipping Logistics Company - If not for Finding Frances, the peak of Season 4. I still can't get the stupid song out of my head.

7 Teen Street - The produced clip of Teen Street is the moment in season 1 when I realized Nathan is a genius and its not just a funny concept making the show work.

6 Focus Group - "There's nothing wrong with being a fucking nerd."

5 Petting Zoo - I could listen to "goat in the water!" over and over and never not laugh. Santa is one of my favorite guests the show ever had, and bringing him into a totally separate segment than his own was great.

4 Man Zone - You could tell me this is Nathan's greatest acting performance in the whole series and I wouldn't disagree. His lines, the stupid beer bump off his arm, it's all so funny. And an episode that benefits from a fairly reasonable premise.

3 Pet Store - Said it already in this thread but the funeral scene is just off the charts for me, and the payoff of the gigantic gravestone is about as hard as the show has ever delivered on an episode's conceit.

2 Finding Frances - Don't really have anything else to say about this one, but a true expertly crafted episode.

1 Gas Station - maybe the most perfect episode of reality television ever created. It's funny, it's actually kind of heartwarming, and it's even got the pee drinking thing to put it over the top. The overlays telling the $ amount of each rebate are one of the greatest visual gags I've ever seen.

6. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

I can't remember right now, but wasn't it Maci's idea to kiss? Ngl I almost had to skip that scene cuz it was so gut-wrenchingly awkward. Either way, he didn't "force" anyone to do anything, I think that's a misrepresentation of what happened.

7. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

@Surfwax Good point, re: ranking entire episode vs. ranking just top 10 segments. Gonna redo mine methinks.

8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

There is definitely murky consent on this show kinda in general, I think he's intentionally manipulative though

9. chris-wrecker

Trusted

Damn. Finally watched the finale. Loved it, first show that made me feel all the feelings

10. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I regularly use the phrase "wizard of loneliness"

11. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Rewatched Frances last night. So incredibly good

12. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

"Dah wizahd uh loneliness."

tdlyon, Owlex and Anthony_ like this.
  13. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

One segment that I feel like always gets slept on is the hotel exterminator. The dancing dragon part is, maybe, the hardest I've ever laughed at this show.

14. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Oh my god when the people with the drums come out...I absolutely LOSE it.

I never see the Sex Box in people's top rankings but that is top 3 for me:

"Make love to me Jurgen!" :crylaugh::crylaugh::crylaugh:

suicidesaints and Anthony_ like this.
  15. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

I cried for about 10 minutes.

Anthony_ likes this.
  16. Whatjuliansaid

News on once the clouds are gone. Prestigious

Frances

17. chris

Trusted Supporter

definitely in the top 5 for me. Nathan recording the animal noises for inside the box, the actors using the names of that husband and wife, it's perfect

18. jols

Trusted Prestigious

19. I'm ready for the next season...

Vivatoto likes this.
  20. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Holy shit he's literally his character on the show

21. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

I have been going in on this show pretty hard, I watched some of season 3 and then I *think* I finished season 1 but I can't remember. I've also seen some of season 2. Basically we watch it totally out of order and randomly so. Once I'm totally finished I will go through this thread more. I love the show but it definitely makes me feel so uncomfortable in so many different ways. It's definitely problematic sometimes and easy to sum up into well, that's just part of the humor. Which, I get. Anyway it's hilarious regardless.

22. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

irthesteve and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  23. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

I really hope they put all 4 seasons on Hulu

bradsonemanband likes this.
  24. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

25. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

Unfortunately I can't believe anything surrounding Nathan. Either way I hope it gets resolved for him