Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Nate Barcalow Discusses Finch Break-Up • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 16, 2016.

1. mattylikesfilms Nov 16, 2016
    (Last edited: Nov 16, 2016)
    mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Black Earth Tiger is amazing. I even have some lyrics from "Phobos" tattooed on me hahaha oh man..

But I truly wish Nate would start a new band with the sound of PHANTASMA. I would certainly donate to it. All of his side projects, aside from Cosmonauts (Schitzoid Embolisim is such an amazing track), I have never dug. Hopefully he doesn't waste too much time with Private Lives since that's not so great either IMO.

2. mattylikesfilms Nov 16, 2016
    (Last edited: Nov 16, 2016)
    mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Yeah which is why it sounds pretty boring to me. The main riff from "Crash My Car" sounds like a straight up Burn riff. I like Buddy on the chorus but that's pretty much it.

3. canvasofwinter

Horrendous Space Kablooie

Nice, Phobos has super cool lyrics!

Yeah, I haven't really been into any of Nate's side-projects. I wasn't even super into Cosmonaut, but I do agree it was the best one he did. Reverend Crow had the coolest name ever, but sounded pretty boring, and I guess those things both go for Earthbound Ghost as well. I don't know, though -- does that mean that R2K and Grizz are also essential to the darker Finch sound?

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  4. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Who knows to be honest. I feel like R2K was a big part of the experimental sounds (hence why PHANTASMA isn't as experimental as World of Violence or SHTS) and Grizz attributed to the heaviness. I think Nate could easily find some solid musicians and start a new band back up. It would be compared to Finch a lot but that's kind of inescapable anyways.

Also, I heavily recommend you check out "Albatross 1" and "Schitzoid Embolism" (one of all time favorite songs by Nate to be honest) by Cosmonaut. It's pretty amazing stuff. Would absolutely love for Nate to start that band back up.

5. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

That Speak The Truth stuff came up in my Spotify discover yesterday. It's really horribly dated.

I can't help but feel like Finch will always be a bit of a missed opportunity. Whenever they were seemingly working on something which really suited their talents, they fell apart.

It happened with the Finch EP and it seems like it's happened again. I quite like their gloomy pop songs. Another WIITB would be awful, but it does seem like Finch have been suffering an identity crisis ever since SHTS.

mattylikesfilms and angrycandy like this.
  6. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

"Deadwood" is the best Cosmonaut song imo. I know it's not likely, but I really hope Nate and Randy find projects that suit their tastes

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  7. shogunTORTOISE

Regular

Were they still with Razor & Tie during all this?

8. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

Not interpreting you as being a dick at all, I totally get that. But, has Finch really been successful enough since WIITB that a label would think they know what they're doing and capable enough to steer the ship? And I'm genuinely asking, because Finch hasn't been on my radar in years so I don't know where they stand with critics and fans.

9. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

That's the label who paired them up with a producer to make it more accessible/catchy/etc.

10. mattylikesfilms Nov 17, 2016
    (Last edited: Nov 17, 2016)
    mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Yes and no. The Finch EP and Oblivion had songs in the middle where it was more mainstream in a sense and catchy while still being decently heavy. I went to their shows during the Oblivion cycle and maybe it's cause it was The Roxy in LA- but it was packed. I got a great photo from it, I should find it.

PHANTASMA is a little more experimental but it's not without it's marketable songs like "What You Are", "Siren Song", and "All For You" could have easily been given radio play. I really think if that record was finished properly- it could have been their best record yet.

Edit: Here is the photo! November 8th 2014. Last time I saw Finch live :-/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Davjs and angrycandy like this.
  11. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Thats a good one too! Does anyone have the cosmonaut demos by chance? I had it on an old hard drive back from the mediafire days but it has since failed :tear:

angrycandy likes this.
  12. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

Did Cosmonaut ever officially release anything?

13. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

finally listened to this. I'm glad Nate posted this. The band has demonized him so much that it's going to see this side of the story as well. And I knew deep down Nate wasn't into this 'lets tour on what it is to burn for ever" crap.

14. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

It's a shame because like a lot of people have said, those demos sounded really good.

15. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Not officially but there was recordings floating around the interwebs back in 06'

angrycandy likes this.
  16. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Phantasma is stupid good, and if the label/other members can't see that, Nate is better off.

17. sayitaintjoe

i can appreciate how nate essentially owned up and acknowledged that he probably texted some things he shouldn't have while the band has seemingly just continued to fling shit in his direction. i think nate came out looking great here to be honest.

angrycandy and Bryan Diem like this.
  18. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

Nate is one of my musical heroes. When I was in my late teens, Finch were pretty much all I listened to along with Green Day and blink-182 lol. I remember the first time I saw the music video for "New Beginnings" on TV, my mind was blown.

Bryan Diem and angrycandy like this.
  19. jco3

Regular

I'm listening to Say Hello To Sunshine for the first time right now, and it's a fantastic album. Production on it is amazing, too. I had never really given them a chance, but this is some damn great stuff.

20. skurt

Sleekest of beaks. So Good.

That's my favourite Finch Album

canvasofwinter and jco3 like this.
  21. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Soooo good. Hopeless Host? Dreams of Psilocybin? Miro? Ink? Fireflies? Insomniatic Meat? Sick record.

canvasofwinter likes this.
  22. shawnhyphenray

Regular

this felt awkward