Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Narco Debut - Strange and Ever-Changing Depths (May 17, 2019) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by atlas, Apr 23, 2019.

1. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Azulita sounds like a Night Verses ft Claudio Sanchez song ha

Joe4th, Micah511 and beachdude like this.
  2. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Yeah this album is so fucking good

Joe4th and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  3. beachdude

I don’t even have more fully formed thoughts yet other than DAMN lol

Joe4th and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  4. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

this is an incredible description

beachdude likes this.
  5. sawhney[rusted]2

Uh, guys, can we call this band the spiritual successor to pmtoday?

beachdude likes this.
  6. atlas

Trusted

nah they're better than pmtoday

Micah511 and Joe4th like this.
  7. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Never heard of these guys, but all the responses/comparisons has me realll intrigued!

8. Micah511

Saw some Closure In Moscow and Mars Volta comparisons, and yeah I can see that stuff too.

beachdude and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  9. sawhney[rusted]2

Yeah Closure in Moscow’s EP The Penance... definitely.

Brb gonna listen to these classics

10. TriangularDuck

Regular Supporter

haven't listened to this yet but "in medias res" is a top 10 of all time for me and coheed is my favorite band ever so this is gonna have some big shoes to fill

beachdude and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  11. atlas

Trusted

12. sawhney[rusted]2

Same here! and I’m not saying this necessarily sounds like pmtoday, but their ability to weave wildly different styles into a cohesive work, and their approach to songwriting in this style.

beachdude likes this.
  13. beachdude

My love for this album is making me realize I need to dig more into Coheed again. It’s been a while and sometimes the length of their albums/the concept is a bit daunting as a casual fan, but there really are a lot of similarities here in a good way... makes me realize how much I actually enjoy that general style. Obviously this band is way more than just sounding like Coheed, but yeah.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  14. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

I am not really getting any Coheed comparisons and these guys are far more atmospheric. I would rather that compared to noodling me for days. Enjoying it so far!

KidLightning and beachdude like this.
  15. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Azulita is definitely the stand out track for me on first listen.

beachdude likes this.
  16. christsizedshoes

Trusted

Oh hell yes... someone rec'd Garden Dreams a few months ago on here and I was completely hooked, even to the point of being bummed there wasn't more material yet. This is an instant buy for me, they've earned my trust with that awesome EP.

atlas and beachdude like this.
  17. Gooddayz

always and forever

My gosh all the comparisons here had me drooling.. I checked out Yukon and wow it ain't no joke. Will stream album now

18. Micah511

Honestly, the Coheed comparisons are more from an instrumental standpoint, and really only SSTB. But Omniscience Verses? I can hear Claudio singing that one, and that outro is VERY Delirium Trigger-esque.

19. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Personally I don’t hear it but if you do that’s all that matters.

20. christsizedshoes

Trusted

They kinda sound like a more atmospheric SSTB at times, but I also think the comparison is overblown... someone in the Coheed thread was acting like they're a blatant rip-off cover band and I just don't hear it at all. Closure in Moscow is still the closest match I can think of.

21. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

This was great, but it’s way poppier than a lot of bands people were comparing them to. Ie TMV

This guys sounds very similar to Claudio which is cool

Micah511 likes this.
  22. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Yeah, I had the made the comment it’s pretty “poppy” but it’s not a bad thing.

23. christsizedshoes

Trusted

So after a couple listens to the LP, I'd put it just the slightest bit under my expectations based on Garden Dreams. The best stuff is the middle section from Omniscience to Azulita, and I think Wanderlush is the high point. A few tracks just feel more straightforward and lacking in intricacy than I was envisioning. Poppy for sure, which isn't necessarily a negative, but everything on the EP had at least passages that got more trippy. All that said, still likely to be up there on my 2019 list.

24. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I actually really preferred the back half. Azulita, and Dandelion Kids particularly.

25. atlas

Trusted

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills seeing so many people talk about how the back half is better because as much as I love it the first half far and away reigns supreme for me. Wading in particular is just gorgeous