Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mystery Science Theater 3000 TV Show

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Aaron Mook, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Official thread for all things MST3k-related, including the original series and the upcoming reboot featuring Jonah Ray, Felicia Day and Patton Oswalt.

JRGComedy likes this.
  2. FrenzalRob

Melbourne, AUS Supporter

Heard of it. Never watched it.

Someone give me a rundown of what this is about, and if it's worth watching. I'm a massive sci-fi nut so could be a goer.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  3. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

It's commentary on terrible mostly b movies

RyanPm40 likes this.
  4. Oh man, haha. Basically, it started as an independent public access show in the very late 80s that was then picked up by Comedy Central. It involves the creator/host, Joel (Mike in the later seasons) being shot into space by his evil bosses and forced to watch the worst B-movies they can find. He builds some robots on the ship for company and they provide commentary/riff over these awful movies and basically make jokes throughout the entire thing. It's a cult classic -- more for nostalgic comedy lovers and midnight movie fans than science fiction -- but definitely worth watching regardless.

The episodes posted above were good starting points for me. I just purchased the Turkey Day Marathon box set and I'm saving a couple episodes for Christmas Eve. I wish the box sets weren't so expensive.

FrenzalRob likes this.
  5. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

When is the reboot supposed to happen, and in what capacity? Is it a whole new run of episodes or just a one off kind of thing or what...

6. tucah

not champ Prestigious

2017 sometime, on Netflix, it's a new run (14 episodes, I believe).

Aaron Mook likes this.
  7. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I probably could've Bing'd it, but thank you.

tucah likes this.
  8. suicidesaints likes this.
  9. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Aaron Mook and irthesteve like this.
  10. SO HYPE

11. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

very excited for this

12. tucah

not champ Prestigious

TOMORROW

or now, if you were a backer of an appropriate level

I've been busy so I never got around to most of the season even though I have access but I did watch the first episode - it took a bit to get used to the Jonah/the new voices and cast and not everything hit but I enjoyed it a ton nonetheless. I might get another through tonight but I'm definitely going to finally dig in deeper this weekend.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  13. This is the most excited I've been since the new season of LOVE

tucah likes this.
  14. DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

This is already so likeable. The voices will take time to grow on me but the tone is right and that's what matters.

15. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

It's baaaaaaaack

Jason Tate likes this.
  16. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Wow. 13 new full 90 minute episodes.

17. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

suicidesaints likes this.
  18. Unfortunately I'm on Easter break and my parents' internet is capped so I can only really watch the first episode until I get back on campus but I'm about to press play and I'm sooooooo readdddyyy

Good thing I brought some of my DVD collections back home with me

19. Shakriel

Cause I'm running low on these hours of mine Prestigious

Excited to go home, make some popcorn, and enjoy some MT3K after work tonight. Just a few more hours.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  20. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

First ep was fantastic. Second is even better so far. Hasn't missed a beat

21. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Aaron Mook likes this.
  22. Yeah, this rules. I was cheesing so hard during the giant monster rap in the first episode.

Shakriel likes this.
  23. YES

Chuck! likes this.
  24. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

This is awesome. I'm really ignorant to MST3K and JUST watched the '93 episode with "Manos: The Hands of Fate" the other day and thought it was hysterical. Had no idea they were rebooting it, looks like I found a great show to dive into.

One episode down.. a ton more to go

Aaron Mook and tucah like this.
  25. Shakriel

Cause I'm running low on these hours of mine Prestigious

First episode was pretty great. Excited to watch more over the weekend.