Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mylan’s EpiPen Price Gouging • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Why not read the article first...?

scottlechowicz likes this.
  2. marceting

Trusted

I think the most surprising thing is how only now this is getting national headlines over the last few weeks. Epipen pricing has been a problem that's been discussed in industry for at least 18-24 months.

3. Dominick Aug 24, 2016
    (Last edited: Aug 25, 2016)
    Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

If they're saving lives, they should be free. Profit margins shouldn't determine whether one has access to medicine.

Also, the basis is bullshit. Pharmaceutical companies, on average, spend more on marketing than actually developing the drugs. But, as I said,your line of explanation is a red herring.

carlosonthedrums likes this.
  4. marceting

Trusted

Okay, but I live in the real world.

5. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

He asked how much they should cost. I don't think they should cost anything. If they must cost money, then they should exceed no more than ten dollars.

Jason Tate likes this.
  6. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

Mylan spent just $672 million on R&D last year but still made $850 million in net income. Obviously its R&D isn't that significant an expense. It's total BS when these huge pharma companies claim that.

7. marceting

Trusted

Not on Mylan's side, but they're mostly a generic company and don't have a huge R&D overhead, purposely.

8. oneeightytwo

Regular

Pricing in the US is pretty crazy. Over here, a quick search revealed the price to be £45 a pen...

It's ridiculous what companies can get away with, and yet no one stops them. Makes you wonder how many people high up are involved in these companies, and making so much money from it that they don't want to stop it.

9. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I did dick weed. How about you post shit that's better than 'This is bull shit'.

10. You read the article and then posted something factually wrong in the thread. Seems like that worked out well.

I posted the article.

11. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

Since I need food to live does that mean it should be free?

12. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

Yes.

cybele likes this.
  13. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

Yeah that's... not a good analogy? Have you ever been to a supermarket? Consumers have a myriad of food choices at various price points. That's clearly not the case with the Epipen and the inherent point of the outrage.

14. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

15. circasurviver

Trusted

Between Mylan’s CEO, Heather Bresch, being the daughter of Sen. Joe Minchin. Plus Mylan increasing it’s annual spending on lobbying from $270,000 to $1.2 million. Mylan has effectively become a government-protected monopoly with the FDA’s assistance. In just the last three years, the FDA has, respectively: rejected an application; forced withdrawal from the market; and mandated further testing -- from three different pharmaceutical companies’ rival products, effectively eliminating any competition to the EpiPen for the foreseeable future.

16. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

17. The Pharmacist

Legal Drug Dealer Prestigious

FYI there is a new coupon card that just came out that takes off $300 from the copay

18. The Pharmacist

Legal Drug Dealer Prestigious

Drugs pricing in general.

19. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

I have tried to use coupons (prob not the one you're talking about) and they won't let me use them because I have insurance? I don't know if it'll help but thanks, I'll keep an eye out for it.