Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

My Nostalgia – 2001 • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 9, 2020.

1. soggytime

Trusted

2001 is also a great film year - not as insane as like 1999, but a pretty defining year for the 21st century. This is the year we got the first Lord of the Rings, the first Harry Potter, the first Shrek, the first Fast and the Furious move. It's also the year of Mulholland Drive, The Royal Tennanbaums, Memento, Zoolander, Wet Hot American Summer, Monsters Inc, Donnie Darko, Super Troopers, Training Day, Waking Life, Ghost World, A.I Artificial Intelligence, Ocean's Eleven, Vanilla Sky, Legally Blonde, Black Hawk Down, Not Another Teen Movie, Rush Hour 2, Scary Movie 2, Amelie, and the Japanese release of Spirited Away!

Anywhere, here are the most important albums of 2001 for me:

Daft Punk - Discovery
    Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American
    blink-182 - Take Off Your Pants and Jacket
    Gorillaz - Gorillaz
    TOOL - Lateralus
    Brand New - Your Favorite Weapon
    Saves the Day - Stay What You Are
    System of a Down - Toxicity
    Incubus - Morning View
    Slipknot - Iowa
    Nas - STILLMatic
    The Strokes - Is This It
    The Bouncing Souls - How I Spent My Summer Vacation
    Aphex Twin - Drukqs
    Radiohead - Amnesiac
    Pete Rock - Petestrumentals
    Converge - Jane Doe
    Dashboard Confessional - The Places You Have Come To Fear the Most
    Jay-Z - The Blueprint
    The Shins - Oh, Inverted World
    Death Cab For Cutie - The Photo Album
    Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein
    Thursday - Full Collapse
    The Ataris - End is Forever
    The White Stripes - White Blood Cells

2. sosplatano

Regular Supporter

In retrospect, Stay What You Are and Bleed American are my two favorites from that year.

When my girlfriend at the time borrowed me Bleed American, marks the time when I questioned my tastes which were mostly nu-metal. Also I was on Shoutweb.net and they began posting more about punk/emo bands around that time.

Bartek T. likes this.
  3. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I think us basically being the exact same age made this hit me extremely hard. I actually teared up a little bit reading this. Very well written. I think you handled the musical elephant in the room extremely well. Being honest, I really can't reflect on the music of my formative years without wrestling with that particular band and how much they meant to me at that time.

Jason Tate likes this.
  4. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

That was definitely a TOYPAJ year for me, I had it on my walkman all the time! Also getting into JEW and STD, so many memories!

Jason Tate likes this.
  5. DaveDalva

Representing the 514

Holy shit, I'm late to the party, but I'm loving these nostalgic posts!

I discovered mp3.com in 2001, and came across the EP "Driven to Distraction" by Knockout. I've been in love with that fast-paced brand of pop-punk ever since.

Bartek T. and Jason Tate like this.