Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

My Morning Jacket Band • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by DaydreamNation, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Going to the tour opener tonight in Cincinnati, very excited as always!

2. Blaine Ryan Jun 22, 2017
    (Last edited: Dec 25, 2017)
    Blaine Ryan

They're still great live (saw them with Dylan and Wilco a few years back) but as everyone else has said those first few albums really tower over everything else.

3. elphshelf

100% made of farts Supporter

Going to the Cleveland show tomorrow!

4. what

Regular

Where's a good place to start with these guys?

5. Serenity Now Jun 22, 2017
    (Last edited: Jun 23, 2017)
    Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

[​IMG]

...I need to think on this and get back with you.

In the meantime, my gut says the song Wordless Chorus off of Z because that's what got me hooked!

what likes this.
  6. Nice, enjoy! Unless you want to go in blind, if you look at last night's setlist there's probably a 99% chance that they won't repeat any of those songs tonight in Cleveland. It was a fantastic show last night--got some old gems I'd been waiting to catch live.

Can't wait to see them again later this summer in Nashville, and hopefully in Columbus too!

Honestly I'd say Okonokos, their one and only official live album (as opposed to officially released concert recordings). If you don't like that live album you probably aren't going to like this band. My favorite of their studio albums (and probably their most accessible) is It Still Moves.

what likes this.
  7. elphshelf

100% made of farts Supporter

It Still Moves, best representation of their country-influenced sound before they got more experimental.

Serenity Now and DaydreamNation like this.
  8. Serenity Now

This band does have an interesting split in their history where they went from alt-country to sci-fi country rock.
    Both "eras" are excellent in my opinion, but that jump from It Still Moves to Z is incredible.

9. Serenity Now

Anyone into this recent release?

10. Just dropping by to say that I cannot recommend the recordings of OBH4 enough. For those that don't know, they played their catalog in full and in order (except they switched "Phone Went West" and "Strangulation" at the end of night one) and the official recordings came out a few weeks back. So great.

11. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

if you still love this band, and you definitely should, you need to check out jim’s new solo record. it fucking rips.

12. Serenity Now

hell yea. been rocking it since it came early in the mail last week. such a fun release.

primavera likes this.
  13. My favorite from it so far:

primavera likes this.
  14. primavera

the guitar tone on this fucking bumps. so fuzzy but catchy.

15. Serenity Now

I love this for the exact opposite reasons that I love Eternally Even...if that makes sense.

DaydreamNation and primavera like this.
  16. Reminds me of the guitar sound Wilco went for on "Star Wars"

primavera likes this.
  17. primavera

absolutely!

18. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

19. Hate to say it but that is an AWFUL cover of a great song

20. Serenity Now

Yea, JJ is an awesome dude, but I can't get into the "trippy" stuff he does for lack of a better term.

21. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

MMJ were my favorite band for a long, long time. I'm just not on the same wavelength musically as Jim James is these days...

It was awesome to hear the whole rest of the band absolutely killing it on the new Strand of Oaks album though. That album is incredible.

Serenity Now and stars143 like this.
  22. Serenity Now

agree. same goes for that Ray LaMontagne record they did

Brother Beck likes this.
  23. primavera

the solo electric album from last year sounds a ton like MMJ and fucking rips, man

Serenity Now likes this.
  24. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

video of their forest hills show is so fucking good. god damn. hoping next year is when i finally see them.

DaydreamNation likes this.
  25. it's been ~2.5 yrs since i saw them and i'm yearning for the chance to again

phaynes12 likes this.