Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

My Morning Jacket Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by DaydreamNation, Mar 31, 2016.

1. DaydreamNation Mar 31, 2016
    (Last edited: Mar 17, 2017)
    No one really likes this band anymore but they're from my hometown and are my favorite. Their live show is among the best out there and their first four records are all fantastic. New one was good too.

2. phaynes1

Regular

Tbh I liked the waterfall more than their last like three albums

3. DaydreamNation Mar 31, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 15, 2016)
    Like it more as a whole than anything they've done since Z. Very very excited to see them two nights back to back at a 2500-cap amphitheater here in May.

phaynes1 likes this.
  4. ragnarokstar

Regular

The Waterfall is my go to album when i mow the grass recently. It just keeps me in a really good mood.

Their live show is amazing also. I saw them one year at Bonnaroo and I went to their Circuital album release show in Louisville.

5. JM95

Trusted

The Waterfall is my go to album for getting work done.

I'd love to see them live.

6. MMJ on ACL! New song called "Throwback (When We Were Young)" at the 31-minute mark.

7. Also I can't wait to see some version of this live on Thursday and Friday:

8. elphshelf

100% made of farts Supporter

Been jamming the remixed/remastered deluxe edition of It Still Moves. So much less reverb and a thankfully cleaner drum sound.

9. Jim

Trusted Supporter

the remastered it still moves sounds great

10. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Jim and Brittany from Alabama Shakes covered BSB for Chipotle

11. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

12. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

their first few stand up better than most bands'

13. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

These guys were my absolute hands-down favorite band for many years. I still love most of their discography, and yeah especially their first few albums. Their last few albums have been very hot-and-cold for me. They each have some good songs on them but each one has some really bad or just plain boring songs on them, and there really haven't been any songs that absolutely blow you away.

I followed the lead-up to their last album The Waterfall ridiculously closely. I remember there being talk of them recording so many songs they could and maybe would do a double-album. That was exciting because there was sure to be a decent number of great songs in a double album. That idea kinda morphed into them putting out a follow-up album real quick, possibly in the same year and early the next. That fell through too. The Waterfall is alright but it only being 10 songs and a handful of them being not that great really hurts it. Them scrapping the quick follow-up and now Jim James putting out a solo album is disappointing because I've never enjoyed his solo stuff at all. It's very different than My Morning Jacket.

Most of Jim James' recent MMJ songwriting strikes me as really repetitive, almost like ditties, but not exactly. He just repeats phrases a ton in each song and they tend to be short with not much depth. This is the same guy who wrote an almost ten minute song about his friend's suicide in "Dondante".

They are still one of the greatest live bands going though.

14. I liked The Waterfall quite a bit, those songs are a lot of fun live too.

I've seen these guys live three times this year, including on Thursday in Asheville. I gotta say they are on top of their game live, maybe even more so than ever before, which is saying a lot for a band like MMJ. They're never going to make another record that crushes me like their first three do, but seeing songs like "Picture of You" "Steam Engine" "Phone Went West" etc live fifteen or so years down the road is a thing to behold. If you're a fan of this band and either have never seen them live or haven't seen them live recently you're missing out on a huge way

15. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

Curious what your thoughts are on the new Jim James solo material now that it's been out for a bit?

I shared your opinion on his first solo release, but this one has my full attention and is on my top 10 releases this year. So groovy.

16. Summer tour!

[​IMG]

I've got pit tickets to Nashville and Cincinnati so far, going to snag two for Columbus in the next week once I get my brother on board. Hoping that the lack of a Chicago date means that I could maybe see them there this fall too, but given the gap in early August I guess it's more likely that that means they're playing Lollapalooza.

Serenity Now likes this.
  17. Serenity Now

8/11 is my birthday and i live in Pittsburgh. May have to make the Scranton date work.

Would mark the second time i saw them on my birthday actually. Happened in Milwaukee, WI in 2012. Neat.

18. 8/11 date is a festival FYI

19. Serenity Now

Booooooo

Thank you for clarifying but...

Boooooo

20. Come hang with us in Columbus the night before!

21. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

mannnnnnnnnnnn finally really diving into these guys despite seeing them at a festival a few years back but wow this It Still Moves remaster sounds so great

DaydreamNation likes this.
  22. Serenity Now

Welcome!

"Z" was what got me into them...overheard the "No Word Chorus" song on a boombox at the French Restaurant I was working dishes at back in school.

Quickly absorbed that release and then moved back to It Still Moves.

Years later...they are my one of my top five favorite bands and that re-master release is taunting me to purchase it.

Aregala likes this.
  23. My favorite band, and my favorite record of theirs (ISM) was recorded in a barn and silo a few miles from where I grew up. Seeing them at least twice this summer, saw them three times last year plus Jim solo, their live show is better than ever right now.

Aregala likes this.
  24. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

It sounds super full.

Cool article/interview with Jim James about the changes for the remaster:
    Jim James On Why My Morning Jacket's It Still Moves Reissue Sounds So Different | Pitchfork

25. Serenity Now

Aregala likes this.