Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

My Morning Jacket - The Waterfall II (July 10, 2020) Album • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by DaydreamNation, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

It is so nice to have new music from these guys out in the world, especially right now. This album is certainly much more immediate for me than Part I.

Serenity Now likes this.
  2. Tomar Re

Regular

Yea this thing is really good and has gotten me to go back to Part 1 as well, which I still think has a lot of great songs. It’s a unique experience listening to a new album 5 years later that feels (because it is) so close in production style/song writing style as the one that came before it. It really is a Part 2

I think if they’d both come out together as a double album I’d have grabbed my immediate favorites and just latched onto those but the space has allowed me to go back and re-experience all of Part 1 with familiarity and start Part 2 and appreciate both more if that makes sense. But yea, they definitely live up to the title of Part 1 and 2.

Serenity Now likes this.
  3. Tomar Re

Regular

Also “Run It” is an early favorite but the melody sounds a lot like “Afternoon Delight”. Not a bad thing tho

Serenity Now likes this.
  4. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

I'm digging "Run It" the most currently. That piano is so perfect.

5. Serenity Now

6. Jim

Trusted Supporter

Serenity Now likes this.
  7. Swaddle

Hey MMJ fans! This is my first post in the forum here...and I'm happy that it's about My Morning Jacket!

I am a local Louisville music fan, but for some reason my experience with MMJ had been very scant. I spent the weekend listening to The Waterfall II, then decided I needed to go back and listen to The Waterfall Part I. I am blown away. I've connected with this music more than I have with many other albums in recent memory and am excited to explore the rest of their discography, including their live stuff! Hopefully some day I'll be able to actually see them perform live here in Louisville.

Happy listening!

Serenity Now and DaydreamNation like this.
  8. Ex-Kentuckian here, welcome to the forums and MMJ rules.

Swaddle likes this.
  9. Serenity Now

Alright I’ve run through this over a dozen times. It's supreme. This is going to be practically the only thing I listen to all summer, maybe the year.

In the end, I think It’s going to occupy the same special place as Z - which was my entry point into MMJ - because of the tightness of this album, the variety of sounds, & the timing of release.

Swaddle and Brother Beck like this.
  10. Serenity Now

I'm glad this wasn't released as a double album tbh. I wouldn't have been able to connect with all of those tunes at once and would have likely over-looked so many of them.

phaynes12 likes this.
  11. Swaddle

Any suggestions on some "essential" MMJ live shows to listen to? I've blasted through their discography today and I'm craving more...

12. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i mean, there's okonokos haha

Brother Beck and DaydreamNation like this.
  13. Yeah if you haven't heard Okonokos yet do that.

My favorite recent show is Lockn from a few years ago. Usually can't go wrong with any of the OBH (their destination festival) recordings

14. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Gotta second this. Sometimes I can't even believe Okonokos is live it sounds so goddamned good.

DaydreamNation, Jim and phaynes12 like this.
  15. Jim

Trusted Supporter

I recommend watching Okonokos if possible. Got drunk last week and watched it - A+ will do again.

16. I liked this band okay but not a ton until I listened to Okonokos the first time

Brother Beck and Swaddle like this.
  17. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

You just gave me my plan for my next day off from work!

I used to have Okonokos on DVD but it got lost in the fire with everything else.

Jim likes this.
  18. Serenity Now

Did you find your morning jacket though in the rubble like Jim?

DaydreamNation likes this.
  19. Serenity Now Jul 14, 2020
    (Last edited: Jul 15, 2020)
    Serenity Now

Has a petition been started to release Okonokos on vinyl (again) or should I get that going now?

EDITED

20. Anne

I am a big pop fan, and don't really visit any Spotify alternative playlists or local radio stations, but I do like MMJ. I don't this much with alt albums but for this one I listened to it fully and replayed multiple times to really enjoy it, and I think there were some solid tracks on this album.

Serenity Now likes this.
  21. Serenity Now

Fav tracks?

22. Jim

Trusted Supporter

feel you, wasted, welcome home for me

23. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Spinning My Wheels, Feel You & Wasted for me.

24. Serenity Now

Run It is my fav track. I know the lyrics are a little rambling but the vibe & the piano take me over.

Feel You is a strong second given that guitar work makes one feel weightless.

25. TSLROCKS

Trusted Supporter

My first time checking these guys out. Just listening to Spinning My Wheels and really digging it. Excited to check out the rest of the album and some of the others

Serenity Now likes this.